Too much water?

bellakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiance has been accusing me of not giving my kitten enough water- and I always am like I just filled the bowl 2 hours ago! and then he fills it, and then my mom thinks that no one has bothered to give her water and in the evening she fills it again! We just now realized, no one is neglecting her, she is drinking A LOT of water! Our neighbors had her over night because she got out and they told us, "she was awefully thirsty all the time". Is this a sign of something wrong? Her tummy is also VERY bloated- I treated her for worms, so that isnt it, at least I dont see how? Thanks in advance.

I have never had troubles with any of my previous kittens, this is so frustrating

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could have kidney problems if she is drinking a lot of water - I would suggest giving the vet a call and asking their opinion.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Yes, to the vet right away.... sounds like something urinary tract related. My black lab started doing this awhile ago and turns out she had a UTI and some thyroid problems (she's 12 years old and we're not sure if the two were related at all)... vet vet vet! asap!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, I called the vet and he is going to get her in this week. I was looking at petco and they had some UTI pills, do you guys recommend those? Thanks again.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BellaKitty

Thanks for the advice, I called the vet and he is going to get her in this week. I was looking at petco and they had some UTI pills, do you guys recommend those? Thanks again.
No, don't use an OTC drug, especially since your not exactly sure what is wrong. Good call with the vet visit, though, let us know how it goes!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I echo that - please do not use over-the-counter drugs, especially if you are not certain what is actually wrong. Only a vet can determine what is wrong with your kitty.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I echo that - please do not use over-the-counter drugs, especially if you are not certain what is actually wrong. Only a vet can determine what is wrong with your kitty.

ohh and those pills are often more trouble than help..

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I AGREE! Especially since you don't have a definite diagnosis... and if it is a UTI, your kitty will need antibiotics for that which should only be perscribed by a vet... the only kind of petstore "meds" I use are like hairball remedies, not anything thats meant to fix or cure something serious like UTIs or worms...

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely don't use an OTC pill without the vet's approval. Drinking more is not usually a sign of a urinary tract infection, but if something is going on then the pill could mask signs that the vet would look to in order to make an accurate diagnosis.

How big is her bowl?

Let the vet run bloodwork, urinalysis, and whatever tests s/he feels are appropriate. Hopefully the results will be routine and it will turn out that you just have a thirsty kitty, but if anything is amiss you will be able to treat it right away and hopefully have a good outcome. Please keep us posted.