Too much hairball vomit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Laxatone is the one vets recommend frequently:
Laxatone® | Vetoquinol USA

I haven't tried this brand with my Betty. But another brand she had no interest in and nearly made a mess of my home running around like a nutcase with a smear of the stuff on her arm that she was trying to shake off rather than groom off. So if Buddy is like Betty, you may not be able to get a hairball gel into him.

Here's an article on using egg yolk and egg yolk lecithin for hairball control:
How Best to Manage Hairballs

Here's another that recommends the addition of digestive enzymes and a quality probiotic (which they sell both and I have nothing but good things to say about their probiotic. For digestive enzymes, I use Optagest which seems to be better received by Betty than their Super Pet Enzymes product)
Furballs! - Vitality Science

And for a really difficult case of hairballs, you might consider FMT pills (poop pills) from carefully screened healthy donor cats:
Your Cat Has Hairballs: Should You Worry?

I wouldn't try the FMT unless you are able to either pill Buddy everyday or you can find a way to get him to pill himself. You cannot open the FMT capsules--there's dried poop in there, and also the capsule protects the contents past the stomach to the gut where they're needed. I can't pill Betty. But I get her to pill herself by smearing the pill in her favorite food and depositing the food plus pill morsel on the carpet. The carpet greatly reduces her ability to lick and flick (lick the food off and flick the pill away.)

While it's still too soon to tell, I think the Optagest and the FMT pills are helping Betty. I can't get her to eat egg yolk powder and egg yolk lecithin seems to be a 50/50 proposition with her (she ate one dose but skipped another.) She loves brushing! We do that just about every chance we get. I keep multiple brushes and brush-like products (Zoom Groom and a grooming glove) around the home. There's always some kind of deshedding tool within arm's reach whenever an eager Betty is looking for some love.
I'll give the DIY egg yolk a test. I got one egg boiling now, and will follow the instructions to powder it. Will see if I can get enough secreted into his Fussy Cat to do anything....before he goes into finicky mode. Already tried a scrambled egg before, which was quickly rejected.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Catfooddb.com
A lot of the weruva food(any brand) will say chicken when it includes fish. If nothing helps then vet. My cat was continuously licking her tummy,hiding,not eating, threw up almost every day. End up having struitive crystals and possible pancreas and ibd. Now she had loose stools so got a steroid shot.
Right now I'm desperate enough to break his obsession with Fussy Cat (and expand the menu) that I'll try anything. I'm a good enough futurist to foresee the likely trajectory. Fussy Cat Tuna & Salmon supply dries up, Buddy goes into anorexia mode, no food means no water intake, struvite crystals come back, $1000 operation hits which is out of my reach, and I have to return Buddy to the shelter or watch him die.

I doubt this vet is going to be taking it seriously until I get the ultrasound, and maybe not even then if nothing shows up. He seems convinced I should not be worried about "normal cat behavior"...but he don't have to clean it up or puke it up.

I've added a tiny bit of barley grass powder to his wet catfood, and substituted his lunch meal with a handful of Hills Urinary C/D dryfood (so I can monitor if that is making him puke). If I take him outside I do it before he eats, and make sure he is back inside at least an hour before a meal, to de-stress. I think this is like the third day without barfing, so one day at a time. I continue to hide 2-3 teaspoons distilled water in every meal of Fussy Cat, and continue to get good size urine clumps. The dung has not changed...still oversized rabbit droppings (hard as a rock).

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know at least one person who appreciates your perspective.

Here are a couple of posts regarding grooming tools;

Brush recommendations?

Grooming medium haired cat

:disappointed:

Would you be interested in adding a pre/probiotic?

Does his weight seem ok?
To me he looks underweight, but the vet didn't agree. He told me the weight, but didn't write it down, and since he used that metrics crapola I forgot it before I got home. Yeah, I need to get a scales, but right now a cat tree is top priority before Buddy breaks his neck on my bookcase and kitchen shelving unit. Waiting to get a cat tree because I thought I was getting a senior cat was not one of my better choices. I don't care what the SPCA thinks, a 8-9 year old is not a senior. Buddy can make a 40" leap from a standing position, onto a 14" x 8" ledge over and over.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To me he looks underweight, but the vet didn't agree. He told me the weight, but didn't write it down, and since he used that metrics crapola I forgot it before I got home. Yeah, I need to get a scales, but right now a cat tree is top priority before Buddy breaks his neck on my bookcase and kitchen shelving unit. Waiting to get a cat tree because I thought I was getting a senior cat was not one of my better choices. I don't care what the SPCA thinks, a 8-9 year old is not a senior. Buddy can make a 40" leap from a standing position, onto a 14" x 8" ledge over and over.
Addendum:

I was told Buddy's weight is 4.1 kg. I finally pulled the trigger, and bought a cat tree:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/prestige-cat-trees-5-level-main-coon-cat-tower
I'll probably never see him on my bed again, but his safety trumps my wanting a teddy bear.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Addendum:

I was told Buddy's weight is 4.1 kg. I finally pulled the trigger, and bought a cat tree:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/prestige-cat-trees-5-level-main-coon-cat-tower
I'll probably never see him on my bed again, but his safety trumps my wanting a teddy bear.
As cats age, it’s getting down that’s more uncomfortable than jumping up. I think your boy will do alright with that tree. It looks like it’s something he could easily step down the different levels as his joints get older.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As cats age, it’s getting down that’s more uncomfortable than jumping up. I think your boy will do alright with that tree. It looks like it’s something he could easily step down the different levels as his joints get older.
I wanted the Feandrea tree, but this one had the largest perches, and actual carpeting. Good reviews on Amazon, and Petco has decent online rep.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll give the DIY egg yolk a test. I got one egg boiling now, and will follow the instructions to powder it. Will see if I can get enough secreted into his Fussy Cat to do anything....before he goes into finicky mode. Already tried a scrambled egg before, which was quickly rejected.
Addendum:
It has been five days now since I started concealing 1/8 teaspoon egg yolk in his morning meal...so far no hairball vomit. I'm encouraged!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you go to a different vet? The one you see doesn't seem to really care. I'd take him for an ultrasound for sure and see a different vet.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you go to a different vet? The one you see doesn't seem to really care. I'd take him for an ultrasound for sure and see a different vet.
As I said before, the only vets not demanding the curbside dropoff/pickup nonsense are those at the SPCA. I have no plans to get a car or a cell phone, so that ain't happening. Now that Commissar Newsom has reinstated the mask mandate, I don't see the Branch Covidian mob rule ending anytime this year...if ever.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, so this vet goes to your place? Ie you can't drive and can't taxi to a vet? Have you checked to see if the vets are still curbside drop-off only? Most seem to be open but you do need to wear a mask in the room. So it's not that bad really :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
As I said before, the only vets not demanding the curbside dropoff/pickup nonsense are those at the SPCA. I have no plans to get a car or a cell phone, so that ain't happening. Now that Commissar Newsom has reinstated the mask mandate, I don't see the Branch Covidian mob rule ending anytime this year...if ever.
I have been in that predicament before. Only thing to do is look for companies online that will transport at a cheap rate,get friends help, or if in the US join nextdoor

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he long or medium haired? You can try shaving him a bit. There's an excellent shaver on Amazon that is quiet and doesn't vibrate aggressively.

When was your cats last bloodwork?
Every 3-4 days is not normal, but sometimes vets who are less knowledgeable about cats assume it is. It can be frustrating and stressful to wait outside, but you may want to reconsider in order to have better and more knowledgeable care for your cat.

For cat-vets you really want someone who understands that cat's signs are subtle. Sleeping in different areas and positions can be a sign. If you vet won't even take frequently vomiting as a sign....

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For stress licking, increasing your cat's enrichment can help. Feliway or similar can also help.

Loads of articles out there but: Cat Enrichment: What to Do if Your Cat Is Bored

We are car-free too and we have a friend or neighbour drive us usually. I'm sure whomever would be happy to allow you to receive an incoming call on your phone as well. You can also see if your area as a Pet-Taxi service. Alternatively, if you explain to them that you don't have a car and you want to use an Uber/Lyft...just let them know. They can step outside to talk to you or let you come in with a mask after screening (everyone has their own felt-safety levels for COVID depending on their personal circumstances). You're not the only one in that situation I'm sure. Someone is usually willing to help if you call around.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, so this vet goes to your place? Ie you can't drive and can't taxi to a vet? Have you checked to see if the vets are still curbside drop-off only? Most seem to be open but you do need to wear a mask in the room. So it's not that bad really :)
Curbside dropoff/pickup means you drive your car to their parking lot, call them on your cellphone, they come out, grab the pet, and haul it in. Then the vet calls you on your cellphone, gives the diagnosis, vet tech hauls the pet out to your car, and presumably payment is rendered someway by your cellphone. So then, there is no car to drive to their parking lot, no cell phone to do all the other COVID hysteria required, and there won't be. I don't drive and I don't do cellphones. Even if I could afford to have a taxi wait an hour or more, there would still be no cellphone.

I am able to walk the pet stroller five blocks to BART, catch a train into Frisco (like six blocks from the SPCA hospital), go into the hospital, have a seat in the waiting room, someone comes gets Buddy, they bring him back, I go up to the counter and actually pay cash...you know, like the way things were before the Faucian vaccinites took over.

Last edited:

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he long or medium haired? You can try shaving him a bit. There's an excellent shaver on Amazon that is quiet and doesn't vibrate aggressively.

When was your cats last bloodwork?
Every 3-4 days is not normal, but sometimes vets who are less knowledgeable about cats assume it is. It can be frustrating and stressful to wait outside, but you may want to reconsider in order to have better and more knowledgeable care for your cat.

For cat-vets you really want someone who understands that cat's signs are subtle. Sleeping in different areas and positions can be a sign. If you vet won't even take frequently vomiting as a sign....
Bloodwork was in mid-April. It is not a question of waiting outside. Did that for five hours at the OakVet ER, and would do it again if necessary. It's about whether I am willing to get a car and cellphone...and I'm not. Nor am I willing to get a clotshot, which means the gym I went to for years is now off the table. I can live with that, and Buddy will have to make due with the SF SPCA...at least until other vets get over the hysteria, and just say no to the New Normal. Yeah, I'll not be holding my breath, as I'm pretty sure Newsom intends to keep this going for as long as he holds power, and equally sure his fanclub will continue to reelect him.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bloodwork was in mid-April. It is not a question of waiting outside. Did that for five hours at the OakVet ER, and would do it again if necessary. It's about whether I am willing to get a car and cellphone...and I'm not. Nor am I willing to get a clotshot, which means the gym I went to for years is now off the table. I can live with that, and Buddy will have to make due with the SF SPCA...at least until other vets get over the hysteria, and just say no to the New Normal. Yeah, I'll not be holding my breath, as I'm pretty sure Newsom intends to keep this going for as long as he holds power, and equally sure his fanclub will continue to reelect him.
Not here to debate science.

As I suggested, see if a friend can help you out with a ride and borrow their phone for a second opinion.

Or explain the lack of cell (and situation with other vet) when you call the other vet and see if you can come in with a mask or they can come outside to speak with you.

Your cat can't "make due" if your current clinic thinks vomiting every couple days is normal. I would just hate to see it be the sign of a bigger issue and you let politics get in the way of solving it.

Alternatively, try shaving and hair ball food if you haven't already. There is very likely a bigger issue at play if she's suddenly not able to process the hair. However that might temporarily help the issue so that she's not effecting her throat, mouth, etc with the acid when she vomits.

Vomiting more than once a month is said to be concerning for cats.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not here to debate science.

As I suggested, see if a friend can help you out with a ride and borrow their phone for a second opinion.

Or explain the lack of cell (and situation with other vet) when you call the other vet and see if you can come in with a mask or they can come outside to speak with you.

Your cat can't "make due" if your current clinic thinks vomiting every couple days is normal. I would just hate to see it be the sign of a bigger issue and you let politics get in the way of solving it.

Alternatively, try shaving and hair ball food if you haven't already. There is very likely a bigger issue at play if she's suddenly not able to process the hair. However that might temporarily help the issue so that she's not effecting her throat, mouth, etc with the acid when she vomits.

Vomiting more than once a month is said to be concerning for cats.

So I reached the SPCA vet today by phone, scheduled an ultrasound for mid-July and pushed the second bloodwork panel up to September, as it will take a few months to recover from the $500 hit to the budget. Vet was not happy but he will survive.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I reached the SPCA vet today by phone, scheduled an ultrasound for mid-July and pushed the second bloodwork panel up to September, as it will take a few months to recover from the $500 hit to the budget. Vet was not happy but he will survive.
Hope that goes smoothly and gets sorted for you! Sucks when you have to fight with a vet to advocate for your pet.
Certainly been there with a $300 vet bill every two months with Lily. I wasn't a Pet Insurance person before but I am now 🤣