Too many black cats.. how to distinguish?

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have about 24 cats that i take care of, and 6 of them are fixed so far, but i plan on getting them all fixed by April. Only problem is that i noticed that there are about 6 black cats, and i cant tell which is which. Is there a way i can help identify each cat from far away? I was thinking have a collar put on every single one when i trap them to get fixed but since they're outdoors i fear that the collar can cause them problems. I'd really appreciate any recommendations :)

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
So I have about 24 cats that i take care of, and 6 of them are fixed so far, but i plan on getting them all fixed by April. Only problem is that i noticed that there are about 6 black cats, and i cant tell which is which. Is there a way i can help identify each cat from far away? I was thinking have a collar put on every single one when i trap them to get fixed but since they're outdoors i fear that the collar can cause them problems. I'd really appreciate any recommendations :)
Are you trying to identify them so you know who to trap and get fixed, or just to tell them apart in general?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
In general. i want to identify them from far away so i know where they go

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I had brought in a semi feral cat who ended of being pregnant with 6 all black kittens. I kept them all indoors and took the kittens to a vet for their shots. i didn’t want to use collars because of an issue I had with a prior cat who had a collar on and she got her paw caught in it and almost choked. So I ended up trimming just The tip of the tail’s fur on one and on another I trimmed the fur at the beginning of her tail. And another one I trimmed some fur on top of her head.
now I have two newer all black cats inside and I need to trim some fur on them because it’s hard to distinguish who is who.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What Babypaws Babypaws is suggesting is what a lot of dog breeders did before microchipping. If you are organized about it and clear in your mind it will work. I mean, a litter of golden retriever puppies look pretty much identical so there had to be a way to know that a certain buyer was going to get the one that he actually chose.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they have break-away collars that come off with a sharp tug, if you decide to go that way. Trimming fur is another, but fur does grow back, though it takes many months. When feral cats are neutered, the vet usually notches the ear slightly to let others know they have been fixed. If your vet does that, you could have different parts of the ear notched or different shapes and that would be permanent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
thank yall for the feedback :) I will try to buy a good collar tomorrow, and hopefully the vets can put it on for me after his surgery, ill also ask if they can do something else that can help him stick out from the other black cats