Tony's Story Giardia/Coccidia and Worms

Hlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am so sorry you are going through all this and I am praying the S. Boulardii will start working for you quickly.
I am pretty sure it helped my kitty with soft stools and worse.
I have no idea what caused it but the S. Boulardii stopped it and have not a reoccurrence for months. I am really hoping you have some luck with this guy. You are way overdue!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm so damn tired. I hope it works too. I'm having a hard time getting him to eat it. I guess it has a bitter taste. I've been mixing a half pill morning and half pill at night into his food. It's powered so I open the pill and sprinkle on food.. and mix in but sometimes he eats around areas he doesn't like or suspects has been messed with. Me and him aren't on terms of putting things in his mouth. Not just yet maybe with time.

There was some delay in me getting the next round of meds but I get tomorrow. It's a 5 day course of the P one. I'm too tired to look. Haha.

My biggest concern is his belly right now. It looks bloated. I can't tell if it's because he's put on weight. Or if he's just gasey from everything ( the pills, the parasites, the constant food when he didn't have outside). Or what it is. Could it still be worms....I mean he was dewormed so many times. The last time with Drontil from what I read should get rid of it all. Plus he's had like 5 fecals the worms should show up in one of them. Probably just the damage to his intestinal track. I think the parasites do a number. Who knows.

Let's see what happens. The good news is still none of my other cats showing any sysmtoms. If they got it then they don't have diarrhea which is great.

Anyways thanks again for the continued support. Happy to have somewhere to keep talking about him.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I'm 2 doses into the new meds, ponazuril, and today he has full on diarrhea. It's like he's worse now. I am wondering if all the meds did this. He was having much more firmed up poo last week.

I am stopping the S.Boullardi and going to go back to the other probiotics. I don't know if this is contributing to his new worse poops but it doesn't seem to help. I might of gave a little too much probiotics today so maybe that did it.

I don't get how he can possibly still have this parasite after so many meds if it is indeed still just the parasite causing this.

Hes got 3 more doses of this meds I'll keep an update.

Other than the poop he's fine still..He ran around all day with my other cats and played. None of them are showing any signs of this parasite but who knows at this point they all could be walking time bombs. I have been still super diligent about scooping every poo Tony makes immediately and when I have to be at work he gets separated. That's the best I can do right now.

The boarding place said they would take him for half the cost and that still is ringing in my ear but seems so pointless after being with my other cats for so long. Anyways hers a picture of the crew. I was in the middle of making the bed but they all took over for a rest after running around.

Tony is in the far back on the left.

Attachments

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On a side note I want to add how amazed I am by how well Tony and my cats get along. I kind of just threw them together and they are more than just tolerating eachother..they are having a great time. Playing coordinated cames of hide and seek even. Anyways that has been cool to see. I mean what are the chances they all just are ok with eachother. In a small space too. Feels meant to be for everyone. Tony doesn't even want to go outside either he's super content. After being outside for however long he was I expected a longer transition but he's happy. So that's some positivity for my thread. Meow.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey party people! Haha the site was down for a bit which was probably best for me to save you guys from a boring annoying post about Tony.

So I started to take my other cats poo in to get tested and so far 2 out of 3 are negative. This is great news for me. Before I celebrate I need to get my last constipated kitty to have a go to take in. I doubt he would have it if the other 2 are negative.

For Tony he has had some good stool. Not totally hard and normal but super close. I suspect all the pumkin might be making it hard to get totally normal....I'm going to start weening this down to see what happens and if his body can adjust.

The vet doesn't want to test him till after the next round of Albon May 15 but not sure I'm going to wait that long seems like forever to keep up what I'm doing.

He starts the next round of Albon on Sunday.

With the Ponazuril dose in between this I would be shocked if he still had but since my other cats seem good I'm still keeping this impossible routine up of scopping immediately all hours of the day. Cleaning steaming washing blah. I suspect I can relax a bit now but I'm so scared.

Hope everyone is good!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick update All my other cats are negative for Coccidia so my efforts have at least helped for something. Tony is half way done with 2nd round of Albon. He has had almost solid poos for 6 days now. He is going way less too like 1 time a day which makes easier on me.

Let's see what happens after this course of meds. I hope he continues to get well. I am not sure what to do after this as he's had so many meds between the Albon and Pronazuil if this didn't work not sure what the hell will.

Cats all happy and having a great time. Tony is such a happy dude. He has fit right in with my little family. I am planning a big move with them end of May and I hope this is all resolved before the travels. I could use a break from cat poops.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Soooo we finished the 2nd round of Albon. Things were pretty good. I started to notice the poo go from hard to soft serve to mush today.

He also was going once a day and now we are back to every 12 hours (2x a day).

I am going to test him this weekend. I am just feeling super defeated bc I know he still has it if the poop is going back to bad again.

Maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone know? Or have experience with this in a older cat not a kitten.

Hes been on so many rounds....and I assume I'm keeping the environment pretty clean if my other cats didn't get. I mean as soon as he goes I scoop I only missed it once and when I noticed I dumped all the litter right away and put fresh in. It was maybe in there like 2 hours. I fell asleep.

Does this ever go away? Can he have forever?? I am starting to emotionally prepare myself that I might have to get rid of him. I've been doing this for a long time now and I am so tired. I can't keep it up. I don't know what to do.

I will call the vet tomorrow but I need help.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well not sure anyone is even following this anymore but I'll update bc I know I read through some of the threads that went dead and I really wish I would of known what happened.

I tested Tony's fecal the other day and it came back negative. I am nervous to be too excited over that bc of the past false negatives. I had plan to take his stool in this week.

This morning I woke up surrounded in poop. In my hair all over my bed. One of my other cats was leaking poop. He may have gotten Coccidia I don't know. He was constipated yesterday he struggles with that and sometimes his body just releases it by diarrhea. So it could just be that. I took him to the vet. They are not sure the stool I had was enough to test but they are going to try and I'll know tomorrow. They gave him some meds to stop the diarrhea.

If it's Coccidia I need to treat all my cats and I hope the vet will agree. I really did my best to make sure it didn't spread there isn't much more I could of done in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Anyways horrible day I can't seem to get away from this poop its really awful it's been months of this for me. I had a panic attack this morning when I saw it. I couldn't breath. It's just been too much.

Blah

Miamha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bless you for doing all this for the poor fur baby. That has been traumatic for both of you. Hopefully this last course of meds will end the overload of troubles. May be on a bland diet and proviable for a while to get that flora back to normal. Your basement is probably preferred over boarding anyway. No advise, just support... virtual pat 9n the back

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your support it was a real bad day. I'm praying that my other cat just had some diarrhea and not because of Coccidia.

There is a chance..

Hes 19 so when he gets constipated for too long he seems to have this leaky poo issue. Things seems stable right now he's not leaking all over right now so that's good.

I'll know the dreaded Coccidia news tomorrow. I for sure am going to push to medicate them all. This dance of trying to keep some ok while medicating others just can't go on. Plus I'm half way across the country in 2 weeks and I need none leaking diarrhea cats for the 16 hour drive. I'm overwhelmed to say the least.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok updates that are good news this will probably be me last post on this bc eveything looks like it's clearing.

The poop episode with my other cat was not Coccidia he tested negative and got better super fast on the meds these gave him for it. It was just a poorly timed episode.

I retested Tony this week and got another negative. Like pop the champagne! So happy. His stool is still not super firm but by no means close to diarrhea. I'll keep watching it of course and because I'm paranoid now of these false negatives I will probably retest in a few weeks again. I'm moving and he needs a follow up with the vet after all of this so I'll probably do it after I move then the vet is lined up too.

For anyone who is going through this I am sorry I don't wish on my worst enemy but there is hope. It never spread to my other cats in a 1 bedroom apartment. I picked the poop up pretty much immediately every time....did lots of washing of stuff and of course dumped the litter fully every 2-3 days. Also vacumned and steamed my floors every 3-5 days. I used Pine sol have no idea if that did anything but it smelled good.

If your going through this and reading this hit me up and I'm happy to send some love and emotional support.

Thanks to everyone who supported me through this insanse ordeal. 😻🌠💕

Hlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You did just great!
I will say nothing more so I don't accidentally jinx you. : )