Tonkinese or Russian Blue?

KitKatLondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is a very subjective question! :) But it would be great to hear any opinions or experiences. I'm unable to get a rescue cat/kitten (the shelters won't let me because I live in a flat with a balcony and have a resident cat, they are quite strict here in UK) - so, I've done some research and found the Tonkinese and Russian Blues sound a good fit for me and my mellow lazy boy cat Jasper! We recently lost Charlie, my 10-year-old tabby, to kidney disease. She was amazing! Followed me around everywhere, slept with me, so affectionate and vocal. My best friend. Helped me with all my home chores. She's left a huge empty void at home. I like cats that want lots of attention! I can do that. I've found a couple of reputable breeders: Tonkinese = GCCF registered, Blue Russian = FIFe/felis Britannica registered. Both look great! They are just waiting on me to commit and choose :)

Any opinions welcome! Many thanks.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
KitKatLondon KitKatLondon
Hi,
I am on another forum where a poster has a few Tonkinese. They seem pretty active and like the company of other cats, so may not be fully happy as a single cat.
I don't know as much about Russian Blues and they may be happier as an only cat.
I find female cats also tend to do better as singles than neutered males.
For the UK also consider smaller independent rescues that may be more open to indoor homes and look at adopters on a more individual basis rather than blanket restrictions.
Good luck ☘

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitKatLondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Will do that. Ah just to clarify, I have a resident cat - Jasper, so new kittie will be carefully introduced :)

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah ok sorry. How old is your fellow Jasper?
I have two boys of no particular breed. They both love to run and play together.
Currently, one is inside a paper bag while the other is outside the bag playing pawsies with the other. 🙂
I introduced one as a very young (street) kitten when the other was two and a half, as I thought he would like a playmate. He did very much.
The eldest is now six and they still play hide and seek and other games like pounce from behind the curtain.
Tonkinese are cuddly with each other from what I see but are also I think active cats.
Russian Blues may be a little more mellow to my understanding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitKatLondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw your little guys sound like they get on really well! Jasper is 6 years old. We both can do with some new life haha.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im a little surprised the shelter doenst accept you. Most shelter DO wish there is a companion. Either already at home, or they want to adopt in pairs.

If your balcony is a problem (yes, there is some risk of falling out), you can perhaps net in the balcony?? A thin net is barely visible, so the landlord shouldnt mind. And an innetted balcony is a great joy for inside only cats.