Toffee's Sore Eye?

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we adopted Toffee and Fudge when they were 3.5 months old; we've noticed that Toffee has a rather sore looking red patch around his eyes. It looks infected, but he doesn't seemed to be bothered by it at all and it's never hurt him or made him feel uncomfortable in any way - apart from this he's a normal, healthy, happy and active young adult cat. When they were rescued, the adoption agency said that all four kittens in their litter suffered from cat flu, but that was treated quickly by the vet at the rescue centre. We reckon that Toffee was the runt of the litter as he's never been able to purr properly (he does little snuffles that sound like soft dog panting) and has only just learnt how to meow. We suspected that it might be that his tear ducts don't work properly, though whenever we bathe his eye (which he's very good and tolerant at letting us do) a liquid that looks like dried blood always comes out. I'm a little worried and would like to know if there's anything that can be done to treat him or find out what the issue is, since the adoption agency didn't say anything about an eye infection when we got him. I'll upload a photo soon where you can see what his eye is like if that helps.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You could take him to your own vet to have it checked out. The vet might prescribe eye drops or might say it's nothing.

I had one cat who always looked like she had dried blood around her nostrils and eyes. My vet told me that a cat's saliva and tears will dry to a reddish color. All I had to do was wipe it off with warm water once in a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could take him to your own vet to have it checked out. The vet might prescribe eye drops or might say it's nothing.

I had one cat who always looked like she had dried blood around her nostrils and eyes. My vet told me that a cat's saliva and tears will dry to a reddish color. All I had to do was wipe it off with warm water once in a while.
Thank you. They are due to have some injections soon (later this month I think) so I will raise the issue then and see what the vet says.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just for a reference, here is the photo I mentioned in my OP:
IMG_0004.JPG
I will raise the issue with the vet but I thought it would be useful to get some advice here first :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Pretty kitty. It looks like the dried tears to me the same as I see on my cat, but I'm not a vet. It's still a good idea to have it checked out.