Toffee And Medicine/antibiotics

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee has been suffering from a bad case of loose stools over the past week and a half (thankfully he's now getting better), so we took him to the vet yesterday and the vet prescribed him with antibiotics, though we have since struggled to get him to take them. We've tried the usual hiding medicine in food and treats tricks, however Toffee always eats the food and leaves the treats (although now that he knows his medicine is hidden in his food, when I tried to give him dinner tonight it took him a while to eat it and he left some of it, which he never normally does). We have to hide the medicine from Fudge and give it to Toffee discreetly, as otherwise he will eat it and I don't want it to tamper with his currently healthy body.
Does anyone have any other tips and tricks in getting Toffee to take his medicine? I don't know if this information will be useful but for the record Toffee has been eating mostly dry food since he became ill (we've been giving him extra water so he doesn't get dehydrated) and is.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If the antibiotic can be cut up, or crushed, you might try mixing it with a little bit of wet - or perhaps even gravy - that he does love. At the same time, giving Fudge his own favorite treat also - so Toffee doesn't get suspicious about being given a treat, and so that Fudge will also have something for himself.

Another option would be to get the antibiotic in liquid form - or again, crush it up if it can be - and mix it with water. Then, place the mixture into a small syringe that you can squirt a little bit at a time into the side of his mouth, until it is gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. If the antibiotic can be cut up, or crushed, you might try mixing it with a little bit of wet - or perhaps even gravy - that he does love. At the same time, giving Fudge his own favorite treat also - so Toffee doesn't get suspicious about being given a treat, and so that Fudge will also have something for himself.

Another option would be to get the antibiotic in liquid form - or again, crush it up if it can be - and mix it with water. Then, place the mixture into a small syringe that you can squirt a little bit at a time into the side of his mouth, until it is gone.
Thank you - apologies for the late response. Toffee managed to successfully take all his tablets today as we crushed the tablets up like you had suggested into a syringe and squirted them into his mouth (we also crushed up a treat and now he associates the tablets with pleasure as he gets a treat out of it, too). His stools are starting to improve so I hope we won't be having to give him tablets for much longer, but we'll definitely be using this method for the time being.