Today is National M&M Day

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fun facts on the history of M&M candies: NATIONAL M&M DAY - October 13, 2019 | National Today

No freebies or anything to celebrate the holiday 🍫, at least not that I can find on Google.

What's your favorite type of M&M? I prefer the plain chocolate ones. I don't care for the peanut ones or any of the flavored / specialty ones (caramel, candy corn, toffee, pretzel, etc).

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
National M&M Day! :banana1: :party3: :celebrate:

I love the peanut ones. I just bought a bag of them yesterday. We have friends coming over later and I'm putting out a big snack tray, peanut M&Ms being part of it. :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because I occasionally misjudge the correct dosage for my diabetes meds I keep a pint-sized Ziploc freezer bag (more secure than a sandwich bag) full of M&Ms Minis in my purse, for hypoglycemia emergencies. I keep a small plastic cup in the bag as well, so I can just scoop up the right amount of candy. Cheaper than glucose tablets, more readily available, and, hey - it's chocolate! (Also, my doctor approves.)

Margret

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually prefer the plain ones, occasionally I get a craving for the peanut ones.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like them. I know I'm in the minority but IMO American chocolate isn't good. The mass produced stuff that is. They were better years ago. Hershey's is just as guilty. I used to love a plain Hershey bar when I was a kid. It tastes nothing like it used to back then and that makes me very sad. When I was a kid, I liked the peanut ones best. Now if I want something like that I get Reeses Pieces which are just peanut butter with a candy coating. YUM.

Margret Margret have you ever gotten chocolate from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory/Gourmet Caramel Apples/Assorted Chocolates ? We lived in Aurora for years and I used to get DH their white chocolate for his Easter basket from their store in the Aurora Mall. He loved it. It was like watching a grown man revert back to age 5 when he found it in his basket. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have the white chocolate anymore. They do have really good stuff though.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely eat M&M's any more but when I do I only eat the plain ones. I agree with Kat0121, American chocolate does not taste good anymore. I love Hershey bars with almonds but that is the only American chocolate candy I like.

I have never liked Reese Pieces. They always had an artificial taste to me.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love M&M’s and am trying hard to forget that I bought them as Halloween candy.
:lol:

DH did the Halloween candy shopping. There were 3 stages of candy purchasing.

Stage 1= candy that was definitely being given away (meaning he didn't like it or was allergic)
Stage 2= Candy that was given out ONLY if all the candy from stage 1 was gone (meaning he liked it but was OK with giving it out)
Stage 3= Candy that was not to be given out under any circumstances (meaning if all candy from stages 1 and 2 were gone, the porch light was turned off and NO ONE was to go anywhere near the front door for any reason until all trick or treating ceased). Stage 3 candy was never given out because it was ALL of his favorites.

One year, I dressed the dog in her chicken costume and took her for a walk around the neighborhood because she liked seeing all of the kids. I knocked on our door as a joke and to see what he would do. I got stage 1 candy which I put right back in the bowl. :flail:

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise

Stage 1= candy that was definitely being given away (meaning he didn't like it or was allergic)
Stage 2= Candy that was given out ONLY if all the candy from stage 1 was gone (meaning he liked it but was OK with giving it out)
Stage 3= Candy that was not to be given out under any circumstances (meaning if all candy from stages 1 and 2 were gone, the porch light was turned off and the NO ONE was to go anywhere near the front door for any reason until all trick or treating ceased). Stage 3 candy was never given out because it was ALL of his favorites.

One year, I dressed the dog in her chicken costume and took her for a walk around the neighborhood because she liked seeing all of the kids. I knocked on our door as a joke and to see what he would do. I got stage 1 candy which I put right back in the bowl. :flail:

Too funny. That is me. We get anywhere from 100 to 150 kids, so of course I have to buy enough for the largest possible number of kids. And I start with the stuff I know I won’t eat and get a little cranky if the kids keep coming and I have to give out the good stuff. I usually give two pieces to each, something chocolate and a non chocolate like red licorice. Last year though I had one poor kid that only wanted suckers and I had none. So this year along with the licorice and skittles as the non chocolates I have added a big bag of caramel apple flavored suckers so I am ready for him.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Stage 3= Candy that was not to be given out under any circumstances (meaning if all candy from stages 1 and 2 were gone, the porch light was turned off and the NO ONE was to go anywhere near the front door for any reason until all trick or treating ceased). Stage 3 candy was never given out because it was ALL of his favorites.

:flail: :flail: :flail: :flail:
The best M&M's are the plain ones that are holiday themed. Red and Green M&M's taste so much better at Christmas than the multi colored ones do. Don't know how or why but they do. I still like the peanut butter ones, and the peanut ones are OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like them. I know I'm in the minority but IMO American chocolate isn't good. The mass produced stuff that is.
Not all of it is bad, though. I like the higher end brands like Godiva and Ghirardelli. Hershey's is ok once in awhile like the Kisses. I can't stand Whitman and Russel Stover. Those taste so artificial and sugary :barfgreen:

Artisanal chocolate is yummy :yummy: I frequent a local chocolate shop / cafe all the time. I should go tomorrow to pick up some Halloween themed chocolates for a friend and indulge myself in a large cup of hot chocolate ☕

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE Hershey’s chocolate far more than any others. Unsophisticated taste I guess. Anyone old enough to remember when candy manufacturers were moving towards artificial chocolate? That was downright nasty.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still like the good fashioned old dark chocolate that bites you back. It's a lot richer and a little dab'll do ya.
I still think the best is Reeses Cups :thumbsup:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in honor of national m&m day, I had to buy this at Jewel.
1013191851_HDR.jpg

Yum!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw those and was :barfgreen: Candy corn anything is gross :barf:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret have you ever gotten chocolate from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory/Gourmet Caramel Apples/Assorted Chocolates ? We lived in Aurora for years and I used to get DH their white chocolate for his Easter basket from their store in the Aurora Mall. He loved it. It was like watching a grown man revert back to age 5 when he found it in his basket. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have the white chocolate anymore. They do have really good stuff though.
Aurora is clear across town from us; I used to stop there occasionally when Tattered Cover was in Cherry Creek, but I can't justify the long drive just for gourmet chocolate.

Margret

Last edited:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The coconut ones are okay, but I prefer the plain chocolate.

When I was little, I would separate them by color, eating them until I had one of each left.