Today I Learned My Ould Girl Checkers...

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
has stage II kidney disease. She is 16 years old. Monday I will learn to give her sub q fluids and she’ll start a special diet. Anyone here have experience with this ?

:redheartpump:

280C0903-E0C1-4EC2-9060-3DB89741F414.jpeg

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty girl! So sorry she is going through this, you too. Im sure others with experience will add to this. I just wanted to say i will keep her in my thoughts. Hopefully it will all go easy for her, and you. :crossfingers:

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had to give my Tessie subq fluids for about three years. She did well for longer than we expected. I was horrified that I would never learn to use the needle but once I got the hang of it there was nothing to it. Sending positive thoughts your way.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kittypa !

The 3rd link that Furballsmom gave you seems to fit the situation....I'd say that there's little good reason to begin one of those Rx diets now. The 3rd poster in there, mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens , has lots of personal experience and appears to concur.

As well, the "Oracle" of all-things-kidney-cat, "Tanya's Guide...., has a section on this right here: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Nutritional Requirements

There's a "Tanya" online community you might consider joining - they're here: Tanya's CKD Support Group Homepage How the group works is described here: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Tanya's Support Group

I think you're fortunate to have discovered this 'early'....it's all complicated enough but, at least you haven't been thrown into it with her in a deep crisis.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The above members have given you some great advice and support. :hugs: Thinking of you and sending special thoughts and healing vibes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:Best wishes for your beautiful girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We learned to do fluids today. Five days of fluids then go back for blood work to see how she's doing. Also got several samples of prescription kidney diet foods as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Welcome to the club :frown:. Not a club you want to belong to, but unfortunately, your Checkers kidney's apparently aren't cooperating, so here you are :sigh:. DO check out the website Furballsmom Furballsmom directed you to. It can keep you busy for days, but has so much valuable information in it that it's definitely worth it. It was my "go to" anytime anything came up with my kidney cats before I called our Vet to ask any questions, mainly because I wanted to be up on all the latest treatment options, (including drugs, vitamins, foods, etc.), plus it also gives tips on where to buy supplies, just all kinds of valuable information.

Does your girl still have a good appetite? That was the major issue with ALL three of my kidney cats...loss of appetite. I found that feeding smaller meals, more often, worked best for that issue, and fed an all wet food diet with extra water added in, since they do tend to be thirsty most of the time.

What are her numbers? BUN and creatinine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what the numbers are. Next time, Saturday, I will ask for printouts of bloodwork results. As of now she still has an appetite, and fortunately she's not one of my fussier kitties. She has been losing weight though. That is what caused me to bring her in for an exam. I have begun looking through the "Tanya" site. Starting with nutrition and the canned food tables.

I thank you all for your replies. We lost a kitty to kidney disease a couple years ago. In her case it was too late by the time we found out. We are a lot earlier with Checkers and we expect to have her around for a couple more years. We'll see soon how she responds to treatment.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
All the links and info the others provided are really good sources of information.

I've had two cats with CKD and managed it for 4 years with one and 3 years now with the second. Unfortunately, there is no cure for it but you can slow it down to give them a few more good years. :catrub: