To walk or not to walk: Taking indoor cat outside or keeping him in.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! 

It's been a while but I wanted to ask if any of you have noticed any benefits or drawbacks from sometimes taking your cat outside on a harness (in a safe and quiet environment of course). Ghibli is strictly indoors but the weather is starting to get very nice and I always wonder if he would like going out on a harness with me occasionally. 

The only think that I fear is that he may expect this every day and then become very demanding (he is already very demanding about other things and it can get quite annoying). Thoughts? Experiences?

Here's my demanding little doodle  in the morning right before he booped me in the face to stop sleeping in

Last edited:

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've taken 2 of my cat's outside on a harness. My girl cat hates it, but her hind legs have atrophy so I thought walking her around might help rebuild muscle. She really hated the experience and would just sit there and cry until I brought her inside.

The other cat I brought outside twice. He wriggle and manipulated his body so much that he managed to escape his harness. It's a shame because he really loves going outside. Another drawback was that he started charging the door whenever it opened.

These days I just open the windows and let them sit on the window sills.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats both have harnesses and go outside. We live on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere, so it is quiet and there is a lot to see.

My three year old cat enjoys it all of the time as long as the weather is good. He likes to watch birds and tries to taste some of the plants around the yard (I don't let him). He mostly sits on the porch. He used to be more comfortable, but one time a bird came flying out of a bush suddenly and spooked him. He got out of the harness. Good thing about our leash training was that he knew right where the house was and where to go to get back in. He circled the house and when he calmed down he returned to the porch to be let in. Now he stays closer to the house, where he seems to feel he is safe from birds.

He does get a bit annoying about wanting to go out and will pace by the door when the weather is good.

We started working on training for our younger cat last year. She doesn't love being outside, it obviously scares her. She is okay as long as you hold her or if she is distracted by birds or insects.

This is Carrot out for a walk.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I walk one of my cats every day if possible.  Sometimes it's only for 15 minutes, sometimes an hour.  He loves to be outside.  He jumps up on the wall and fences,   He eats grass and cat mint.  We have had our share of misadventures; the possum, the raccoon, bee stings, falling in the pool, chasing ferals and catching birds. 

If you do take your cat out, be aware of the dangers:

Make sure he only eats grass or known cat safe plants. Lilies, even just the pollen, can be toxic.  Most bulb plants; tulips, daffodils. Some mushrooms are deadly so watch for those.  Eclipse has managed to munch a few before I stopped him, but luckily they were safe.

If you cross the road or street, steer him away from car fluids that have dripped onto the road.  Your cat can ingest them when he grooms himself.  If he does step in something, wipe his paws well when you get back inside.

I check with neighbors to see if they are putting pet safe chemicals on their lawns and gardens.

Mostly we just walk around our yard.  The farthest he has gone is 7 houses away and that is at night.

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a stroller for Comet so he goes outside a lot. He won't walk on a leash, but he is harnessed and his leash attached to a clip inside the stroller so he can't escape. Monday I'm starting a walking club and Comet will be going on a lot of walks with me for that.

I think the fresh air is good for him. He enjoys when the windows are open and loves watching the world go by, now he's able to be outside in the world.

Laura