To Those Who’ve Been Following My Saga...

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve posted on the Cat Healt forums several times over the past few years about my Megacolon cat, Ally.

Well, she had done okay since her Cerenia shot, but about a week ago, she took another drastic decline, went right back to not eating or pooing and we decided that enough was enough.

We will be having her put to sleep later this morning, just past what we declared to be her 12-13th birthday.

It was honestly an easy call to make, as I have always said that I wouldn’t let her health decline to the point that my first furbaby had (he struggled for a long time with issues we chalked up to old age as he was in his 20’s, but looking back, it was probably cancer). Ally has already surpassed the vets expectations in terms of survival with Megacolon, so it’s not as though it snuck up on us

Obviously, I will miss her terribly - but if it means that she will no longer be suffering with constant nausea, constipation, pain, regular enemas, etc., then this is the best option for her.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that your Ally had to suffer for a long time.
No animal should ever suffer, innocent creatures should be pain-free, and Ally was certainly innocent.

No more belly aches, no more strains at the litter box, no more pains.

RIP Ally, you had the luck to have a perfect guardian for your issues. Tell other cats at the Bridge how lucky and loved you have been.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There comes a time when living becomes existing, when suffering overrides the joy of life. Somehow we find the strength to end that pain because of love, because of compassion, because of knowing in our hearts there is no cure, there is no relief from the pain. It is a horrible decision to make, but it is even more horrible to standby and watch the decline into the frail shadow that was our loved one. We can't let the end be one of no longer being able to stand the suffering, it is infinitely better to end that pain a day too early than a day too late.
The bond of love you have with that boy can never be taken from you, it will bring him comfort and peace when he needs it the most, it will help you get through this nightmare and try to focus on happier memories, of happier times. because that is what love is, only wanting happiness and joy in the life of those you love, wanting them to go on into the future and bring the love you left them back into the sunshine of life, not keep it hidden under the darkness of grief. This is the legacy that Ally leaves you, this is what she wants for you, she wants no different for you than you would want if you were the first one to go. Don't let death win, don't make her death more foremost in your life than her loving life. Focus on those good years, of the happiness and love she brought to your heart. "death cannot take that which never dies" and your love never will.... When the time comes, RIP beautiful Ally. The Lord will bless and receive you into into His loving arms. You will be safe and warm until the day you meet those you love once again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to you both

I think it helped to have both the vet and his tech confirm "This isn't like her, she's very sick. We think you're making the right choice."

I couldn't be in the room with her (personal choice) and the vet was very understanding, and explained what would happen before anything took place. He didn't mock me for my inability to be in the room (which I was worried about), or for the fact that I asked him to make sure my Ally's favorite pink monkey (We called it 'Greta') stayed with her.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sorry for your loss.

It sounds that you have the right choice and at the right time.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Ally, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

What a loving, generous decision you have made, and I know what it cost you to make it. My heart with yours.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Very sorry for your loss, you took great care of her and she loves you very much for it.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, she is fine now, just fine, God Bless.......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry to read this. It does sound like you made the best, most loving decision for her. RIP, little Ally. :rbheart:

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
dkb817 dkb817 - I understand that this is a difficult and deeply personal experience, and that the grief can be wrenching. I, too, have experienced this pain. Although I want to offer you an aphorism which imparts empathy, and which might help you cope with this event, I have none to offer...because there are none. In my opinion you must feel this heart pain because it is part and parcel (and perhaps equal to) the joy and the unity which this wonderful being brought into your life and freely gave to you during her life. Although I have nothing to offer I do believe that time will help sooth the pain you now feel. /peace