To Spay Or Not

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now please hear me out before you slam the books on me, :lol:. Some of you here may know of my cat Mouse, she's allergic to most common food proteins, flea bites and and dust. She's about 3 years old now and she's never had a heat cycle. I have talked this over with my Vet and I'm just looking for a second opinion on it. My Vet's advice was to not spay her do to her particularly small size, she's maybe 3ish pounds, and due to all her allergies. All other cats are fixed and she's not allowed outside, not that she's ever tried to go. I raised her from a dropper and didn't see much promise in her then, she was possibly born premature. But she's filled out to her grown cat size.:redheartpump:

Esther Mechler

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Now please hear me out before you slam the books on me, :lol:. Some of you here may know of my cat Mouse, she's allergic to most common food proteins, flea bites and and dust. She's about 3 years old now and she's never had a heat cycle. I have talked this over with my Vet and I'm just looking for a second opinion on it. My Vet's advice was to not spay her do to her particularly small size, she's maybe 3ish pounds, and due to all her allergies. All other cats are fixed and she's not allowed outside, not that she's ever tried to go. I raised her from a dropper and didn't see much promise in her then, she was possibly born premature. But she's filled out to her grown cat size.:redheartpump:
Hi Karen -- I recall that Bushby answered this one but cannot find his reply - am I dreaming? Pls let me know. His answer was great and I could not add much as it is a medical question. But I cannot find his post today...

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Karen -- I recall that Bushby answered this one but cannot find his reply - am I dreaming? Pls let me know. His answer was great and I could not add much as it is a medical question. But I cannot find his post today...
He hasn't answered this specific member's question, but you may be thinking of his answer in this thread. :)

Spaying

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Most people consider preventing pregnancy as the reason to spay their cat. And certainly that is a primary reason, but not the only reason. Spaying reduces the chances of mammary cancer (which is the 3rd most common cancer in cats and is almost always malignant) and eliminates the chance of pyometra (a life threatening uterine infection that occurs in approximately 20% of older intact female cats). In your situation, with her being indoors only and never having a heat cycle (at least that you know of) she won't get pregnant, but certainly has the risk of mammary tumors or pyometra. It is perfectly safe to spay a 3 pound cat. If she were my cat I would spay her.