To scratch or not to scratch

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A month or so ago I promised some of you that when I was able to determine which of the limited ingredient rabbit canned cat foods was the culprit in making my Norma-Jean scrach like fury I would get back to you with the results.
Well it took a long, tedious time -- starting with Instinct (her regular rabbit food that suddenly decided to change their formula where she would suddenly sniff and walk away). But the next batch was fine again. But the next batch was NOT fine again!
Finally, losing a lot of money, I decided to find another company that offered limited ingredient canned rabbit cat food only to find 2 who made the grade -- (Identity -- a new company who seemed quite promising to me), and Koha, another small but dedicated company whose 3 oz cans looked like soft (you know the rest).
Meal #1: I decided to put a Tbsp of my Instinct into a dish, and next to it a 1/2 tsp of Identity, and next to that a 1/2 tsp of Koha. And I watched.
She first went to the Instinct and sniffed it, then to the Identity and sniffed it, then to the Koha and sniffed it, then decided to finish it the Koha first. Then back to the Identity--which she also finished. But she left almost all of the Instinct.
Meal 2: I put 1/2 Instinct and 1/2 Identity. She finished the Identity, left the Instinct.
However, she seemed to be scratching more.
Meal 3: 1/2 Koha and 1/2 Identity. She began scratching like there was no tomorrow.
So which was the culprit?
After giving just only Identity for an entire day (3 3 oz cans) and watching her still scratch too ambitiously, I spent the next day with just the Koha. Little less scratching.
2nd Day: Very little scratching and she finished the entire meal.
Looks to me like the winner winner, Koha dinner is the victor.
I will keep you posted if there are any changes but looks like Koha is Queen!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to be clear... are you talking about scratching herself? As in itchiness? Or scratching other things?

I don't have much to contribute on the dietary front, but as I was reading your post, I didn't entirely understand what you meant. So I thought posting this follow-up question would be helpful to others who can contribute more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry about that.
I meant scratching herself.
Otheers asked about how her scratching was going with the new change.