to Raw? or not to Raw?

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never fed Desmond grinds; however, when he started eating PMR (the day we adopted him) I did hand mince his food somewhat finely.

I wanted to encourage chewing and could see his obvious enthusiasm, so I just worked on upping the challenges with regard to chewing based on size of pieces and the difficulty of the soft edible bone provided. I consciously raised the bar over time.

The strength of his jaws and capacity to tear flesh and comp up bone has increased pretty dramatically. I'm convinced that actively tearing and chomping is a key to good dental health.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Use your judgement and increase the chewing necessity at a rate you judge best.

Bill

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I never fed Desmond grinds; however, when he started eating PMR (the day we adopted him) I did hand mince his food somewhat finely.

I wanted to encourage chewing and could see his obvious enthusiasm, so I just worked on upping the challenges with regard to chewing based on size of pieces and the difficulty of the soft edible bone provided. I consciously raised the bar over time.

The strength of his jaws and capacity to tear flesh and comp up bone has increased pretty dramatically. I'm convinced that actively tearing and chomping is a key to good dental health.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Use your judgement and increase the chewing necessity at a rate you judge best.

Bill
You can always take soft edible bones and gently crush them with a hammer to help them learn to chew, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nat_urge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you both! I figured most is up to discretion, and playing around a little. I figured out to cut smaller for now, and he was reeaallyy into it. Thank you guys for putting some stuff into perspective as reading lots of articles kind of gets overwhelming with all the information. You've really helped make the whole transition feel more manageable with all of the suggestions in previous reply's.

Gleama Cat Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve had cats for about 50 years and always fed high quality canned food 2x/ day plus free-feed dry kibble for my indoor/outdoor cats. They mostly did pretty well, but had occasional hair balls and UTI’s. I slowly transitioned my 16 month old, Odin, onto Stella and Chewy freeze-dried rehydrated raw food (mixed with warm water, a tsp. of canned and some UTI-preventative powder), 2x/day, plus free-feed Orjen dry food, and OMG! What a difference! Odin glows with health, with the softest, shiniest coat ever! He never has any hair balls, Urinary tract issues, or skin problems. He looks fantastic and is so happy and energetic yet relaxed, and is the perfect weight. I wish they’d had this food decades ago, but better late than never! I don’t care if I have to take out a 2nd mortgage on my house (hope not), I’ll always feed S & C from now on! I mix up the flavors to keep his meals interesting. It’s worth every penny, and I’m sure he’ll need fewer vet visits! I feed on a saucer to prevent whisker stress!