To Love Again?

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As most of you know (and I have posted here when it happened), I lost my little Persian Mobile (Angel) to oral squamous cell carcinoma on September 5, 2017. I adopted Angel as a 12 year old, blind, neglected cat on October 17, 2015. Angel's original owners died in a car accident, Angel was left alone for 11 years. Angel and I had almost 2 wonderful years together before she passed away in my arms one night.

Let me first say that there will NEVER be another cat or anything like Angel. She is my everything. I still love her and I will always love her 'til the day I die.
IMG_0312.JPG

While I am still debating it, but I feel that I am getting close to wanting to love another cat. I have came to the conclusion though that it can not be just "any" cat. I do not want a cute kitten, a playful young cat, or a "perfect" one. I want one that no one wants -- one that is old sitting in a shelter, one that grew "old" and the family is throwing it out, one that had a troubled past, one that has a health or behavioral issue that is holding it back from being loved. In memory of my Angel, I'd like to give love to another unloved one. :redheartpump:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oldgloryrags88 oldgloryrags88 ,
you have a great heart!
You already gave home, love and attention to an elder cat that had the bad luck to be forgotten somewhere after losing her family.
Now you're thinking of adopting another cat in need. This puts you on a higher pedestal than many other people who want a pet.
I think I would do the same. I always felt that my attentions should be directed towards those cats who are in difficulty. It's even too easy to love a wonderful, healthy, cute kitten.
Caring for an elder, ill and not so cute cat requires a stronger love and you have showed that you're able to do such a thing.
Angel will be proud of you and guide you to the right next furry friend.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are an angel on earth! My heart always goes out to these precious babies, the unwanted and unloved, they are really just misunderstood. You have already proved to be a wonderful caretaker and can handle the stress and problems that are sure to come up, ( or more likely just do it) you will be blessed for going through this again and giving another the love and home they deserve.
I am sure Angel will guide you to your choice, she will always be there to inspire and support you, as will we. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and keep us posted!

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rest well, sweet Angel.

I feel you... Midnight was my first, and she came to me because no one wanted her. She was a scrawny, black kitten with a torn ear and a bad attitude. I was going to be her foster until we could find a permanent home, but, when one was found, I'd decided to keep her. Even the shelters said they would put her to sleep immediately if they took her in. Midnight's death is still too fresh for me to actually take another cat, and Midnight herself would never have permitted competition (she was, as one friend put it, the only-est kitty). But I'm right there with you... I'll find the one that no one wants, the one they think doesn't stand a chance at adoption, and that's who I'll take in. That's going to be my Midnight's legacy.

Thank you for sharing about Angel, and her legacy with you; Her paw prints go deep, and now touch those around the world.

mary podgorny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm with you. After my TC died in August 2015 of intestinal cancer

I knew there would never be another like him. He was of all the cats and pets I've owned, special, and we just had a special bond.

But I knew that I still wanted that companionship, and just yeah the house was so lonely afterwards. So, intending on getting an older cat, I began kinda looking at different rescues... anyway, long story short, with all the best intentions, I ended up with a 4-month-old kitten who had been abandoned in a field near my house, who was at the local Petco up for adoption. She just won my heart over when I walked in. She just seemed so depressed to be there and so loving... turns out she is the most emotional, sensitive cat I've ever met. Silly too!

Then a few months later, we discovered a month-old kitten in the engine of a pickup after driving it around town for half an hour... so we ended up with 2 kittens instead of the intended older cat... go figure! They're Tux and Maeby. (Tux in the front is the older one who won my heart in the Petco, Maeby the tortie in the back is the one we found in the truck covered in grease and dried bugs. They love each other and us.)

Anyway, all this to say, I still miss my TC and no one will ever replace him. I cried a little when I uploaded his pic just now. But there's enough love in my heart for these two dorks as well. And TC taught me things I can use to be the best cat... mama? Assistant? Life Coach? haha! for these two that I can be.

Hang in there. It gets better, and there are more kitties out there for you. Just keep your eyes and heart open and wait for just the right one. You'll know when it's right.

We joke about how TC was so awesome that it took 2 whole cats to "replace" him. But really we all know he'll never be replaced.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a lovely way to honor your Angel. I'm sure that she wholeheartedly approves from that place she is now, where there is no illness or fear, but only love.

aquisces

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good on your for wanting to help a baby that others overlook. I just lost my Hanzee, who had a whole slew of handicaps, cosmetic and internal, and when I am ready, I want to adopt another "rusty can cat" (which I called him, with the utmost, tongue-in-cheek affection). They deserve love just like any healthy kitten. I am glad there are people like you to give it to them. Angel would be so happy that you are willing to share your love with another like her. <3

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of your sweet Angel , what a beautiful kitty! You were her angel here on earth. You loved her and made her feel safe and wanted. That is all any kitty truly wants. I know she loved you so much in return. Angel is watching over you and will guide you in finding another kitty who will need you as much as she did. She is just waiting for the right time and the right kitty for you. Any kitty who Angel chooses for you will be one lucky , as you have already proven what a huge heart you have. I truly admire you!
RIP Precious Angel!
Let your light shine on the one who loves and misses you so very much!
You were such a special kitty and will never be forgotten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd give an update since a few of you asked me for it.

Firstly, here are some more pictures of my beautiful girl. :redheartpump:
IMG_0535.JPG IMG_0207.JPG IMG_2171.JPG

Now nothing is finalized yet, but I maybe adopting a cat that came from a hoarding situation....she is very fearful of people, not a one hundred percent litter box user, and she suffered a severe eye infection in this situation....there was nothing the vet could do, so he removed her eyes. Now, Persian Mobile was blind and neglected, so I guess that proves love is blind. :redheartpump:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This new cat will be very lucky to "have" you.

Adopting an animal that needs your help would be a fitting memorial to your Angel and a tribute to your kindness. I say "go for it".

Its been over 2 years since our little "motu" passed away. We still have her picture on our screen savers, on our fridge, in our albums: a japanese maple flourishes beside her resting place, her id tag on a shelf in our bedroom and her memory forever in our hearts. And because of our love for her and the hole left in our hearts when she was gone, we now have greg and arnold. All our lives have been enriched.

You can also make the loss of your loved companion, the start of something special.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I wish you many years of love with this new kitty. Sometimes one comes along and grabs us by the shorthairs. Hang on for the ride-it sure is worth it.

I always gravitated towards the unwanted ones. Old. Raggedy, sick, shy, angry. I am stubborn and persistent-usually they come around to me eventually. Some days..sometimes weeks..but every day I do notice subtle changes...the best part is when they fully trust us and curl up and next to us purring away. That's the greatest gift that no amount of money can buy. Memories. Sending you hugs!