To feed or not to feed? Stray cat.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A friendly stray cat showed up at my house yesterday. Looking in the patio doors and laying on my front stoop. It is very thin but otherwise looks healthy. The fact that it is so thin makes me think it is a stray. It has been hot here so I gave it food and water. So of course it came back today and has been looking in the back door and scratching at my front door, which is upsetting my two indoor cats. I want to help it but I cannot take in another cat. I know if I continue to feed it will keep coming around but if I don't it might starve. It breaks my heart to see it.

I can try and catch it and get it checked for a microchip, but beyond that all our local rescues are full.

This is exactly how I ended up with my one year old, Hooper, last year. But seeing how hard it was to get him and Twyla introduced, and with Twyla's health issues I can't try and take in this cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Already posted on Nextdoor and a local Facebook page dedicated to cats.

I live in a subdivision so there are lots of other houses around but the cat seems fixated on mine, probably because I fed it. It is currently lounging outside my front door.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There are rescue centers - that don't actually have shelters, but work with a network of volunteer fosters to take in abandoned/stray cats. Can you search the internet to see if such centers exist in your area? If so, you might be able to call them and ask about any fosters that might be available.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have time today, but am going to try and crate the cat and get it checked for a microchip tomorrow. I went ahead and gave it some food today so it will come back tomorrow. I am worried about it, as it is painfully thin but only nibbles at the food in small increments.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you use nextdoor you could try posting there (include pictures) and see if anyone knows who the Cat is, or is interested in fostering or keeping the Cat.
I was just going to suggest next door and where I live there are sites to post about stray cats that need help so not just shelters see it. I have friends that rescue and will see it and might help. Please fix asap so more kittens dont come. Thanks for caring!
I just remembered your earlier post that she might be fixed. Is her ear clipped?

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have time today, but am going to try and crate the cat and get it checked for a microchip tomorrow. I went ahead and gave it some food today so it will come back tomorrow. I am worried about it, as it is painfully thin but only nibbles at the food in small increments.
If she is still not eating much get her some canned friskies so it will have a scent she likes. I dont eat cat food but is probably more appealing to her because of the smell and texture

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an appointment to get the cat a basic exam and checked for a chip on Friday. That gives me a couple of days to try and get the cat to eat food in the carrier so I can trap it. I hope the vet can refer to a rescue group. Most of ours are at capacity right now.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not interested in wet food at all. I couldn't leave it out for long because it is so hot here, so sticking with dry food for now, because she will work on that over a period of time. Poor thing - you can feel every rib and sunk in on the sides behind the rib cage. Yet still seeking out affection.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GOOD NEWS!! The cat wasn't hungry because he has a home!!! UPDATE: OWNER FOUND! Neighbor was walking by and saw the cat lounging outside my front door. Rang the bell and asked if the cat was bothering me. Cat is an old indoor/outdoor cat named Buddy. I am so relieved. This is the same neighbor whose OTHER black cat showed up on my doorstep last year and wouldn't leave and I took it in to get the microchip scanned. So this one probably has a microchip, too. Anyways, I met one of my neighbors and may even pet sit their cats in the future.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Small world. Couple years ago someone was complaining about a lady taking care of strays below her. She posted where she lived which is my apartment complex so I knocked on the lady's door below her to help take care of the strays(tnr). Now we are good friends. I never would have gotten involved if I didnt already have a friend that knows a friend that rescues so now we are good friends

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it is old it might also have a medical condition like a thyroid or kidney disease.
I think this is most likely the case. The couple is elderly and so are their cats. I know they get taken to the vet because last year the vet office recognized the other cat on sight when I took it in to get scanned.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does the stray cat have to be an indoor cat? Can he be just the outdoor cat that can hang around and get fed when he comes around? Maybe you can set him up a place like an outdoor shelter for him to sleep and stay warm if needed etc that way he doesn't have to come indoors, that is if you have a backyard.

Like even if this cat has an owner, maybe this stray cat feels he is better off with you lol. I guess cats know who to choose.

If I was in your position and now know that he has an owner but the cat looks starved, I would set him up a place outside in my yard for him to come and eat and sleep. That is how my Leo (orange cat on the left of profile pic) came to me, one day he appeared in my backyard, wanted food and would disappear and then come back a few times more then I would find him sleeping on the chairs in the backyard in the mornings and then he would be there day and night. He had an owner who lived 4 houses down who owned dogs as well, the only time i knew of this was 13 years later when a neighbour told me ;) He wasn't starved when he came to me, but I guess he felt safer in my yard than living with the dogs.

I guess there is nothing wrong with having two people looking after him, maybe his owner needs assistance?

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The owner's wife just came over to talk to me because the cat continues to keep coming over to my house. She saw him on my porch and came to fetch him and asked if he had been eating over here, because he's not eating much at home either. She is concerned about the cat and is going to get him a vet visit ASAP - she also suspects kidney issues. I could tell she was upset and cares about the cat.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grumpy old man has kidney failure & lost a lot of weight. So we are always trying to feed him extra. A.n extra 1/2 can of wet food every day makes a difference.

Mayybe in a couple days ask about the cat, to see what the vet said. Then ask them if there is something they need help with, so you can help or find them help.

Their was this kitten that hung outwith the reformed feral Chester. So I caught it, kept him overnight & had him scanned the next day at the puns. He belonged to one of the neighbors. 🤦🏻‍♀️ The cats are still friends & hang out together every night. We nicknamed him CB gor Chester’s Buddy 😉

Thank you so much for caring & trying to help that poor cat! The cat must have sensed your kind heart.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess the good thing about this situation is that the owner seems to be caring and you are also caring about this cat, this cat has the best of both worlds ;) And it is great that the communication between you both is happening so something can be done for this cat. Hopefully, the cat gets the treatment he needs and becomes healthy again.