To change cat food or not? Is it even necessary?

hospicenursewithcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats. One is 7 almost 8, the other 2 are almost a year old. When I grew up, we had a family cat that would only eat 1 kind of food, which was okay, but if we couldnt find that kind for whatever reason, we were out of luck. He refused to change or eat anything else. I am well aware, now, that cats have sesnsitive stomachs, and if any change should be made do it gradually. Which is fine. My question for you is if it is even necessary if all the cats like what I am giving them. Thanks in advance.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as the food your feeding is easily available then carry on as you are but its not a bad idea to feed two different kinds just incase. Where I live I have had a problem getting one brand now and again and for that reason I alternate my cats food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hospicenursewithcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is basically what I do. If I see one that i basically like the one I am giving them, I will try a can or 2. But usually just give them the same. In these days of supply chain shortages, though, I like to keep it varied if I can.
Thanks. :)

hospicenursewithcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I worry that my cats will become allergic to something if given the same protein for a long time
Yea thats a point. Although I have never had a cat allergic to anything...............yet. With these 3 though.....anything is possible.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My question for you is if it is even necessary if all the cats like what I am giving them.
They like what you’re giving them now, but will they like it next month…or even tomorrow? Cats, you know. :) I do provide a variety in case one of them suddenly decides they don’t want what’s on the menu. It happened in the fall. I was feeding Rawz canned, and Mocha decided it was no longer acceptable. Fortunately, I was also feeding another food, so we just went with that for awhile and came back to the Rawz a few weeks later. I also alternate proteins for the same reason.

Also, if one of them gets sick, having more choices is helpful if one particular thing doesn’t appeal. And, of course, there’s the supply problem others have mentioned.

hospicenursewithcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeaaaaaa I guess I will keep doing what I am doing then. They like all what I give them (the kittens got my older cat to not be so picky) so I guess Im good to go. Thanks everyone

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I worry that my cats will become allergic to something if given the same protein for a long time
Is this how allergies happen? I figured it was best to feed my cat the same foods day in day out for months and months and then he developed what i think an allergy to chicken which was what i was feeding him.
I've switched to venison now, but what if he becomes allergic to that next?

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Is this how allergies happen?
Unfortunately, they can suddenly develop an allergy to a protein, even if they’ve been eating it for a long time with no problem. If your kitty displays signs that he’s allergic to venison, you’ll want to go through the whole process of feeding him a novel protein for a period of time to see if that’s really the problem.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Or allergic to gums,starches,etc which I think one of mycats is

Last edited:

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
stupid question, what are the signs of allergy to certain proteins?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
stupid question, what are the signs of allergy to certain proteins?
Throwing up soon after eating,itchy skin
Lots of trial and error. My cat peaches can eat any protein but throws up pate which usually includes gums. Also eats too fast, she can eat farmina quail,duck,or venison because it's chunks of meat. orijen canned duck and chicken she has never thrown up in 5 days,3 meals a day. Also eats away from my other cats

Last edited:

Greenmyrtle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eating a lot of something doesn’t cause an allergy

if you look at the ingredient list on any cat food there are dozens. Even different flavors in one brand may have ingredients that differ or are in different proportions than in the primary “flavor”.

I’m not denying allergies are real but worry they are over diagnosed; cats do throw up easily and perhaps are reacting to any of the additives. all cats like to eat grass because vomiting is part of being a cat. My cat who had teeth removed at 7mo old (another story) she still tries to eat grass even though she never succeeds in biting it off. It’s a deep instinct

Also some things just disagree with us without being an allergy. (Like someone mentioned the additives, gums etc) And honestly we don’t know whats really in the commercial foods, or if they change up some ingredients due to supply chain issues.

Last edited:

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it weird that my cat has never thrown up? Even after eating cat grass which he really enjoys

Greenmyrtle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have just have a sturdy cat 🙃
Our youngster doesn’t throw up either… yet!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Is it weird that my cat has never thrown up? Even after eating cat grass which he really enjoys
No, just lucky! I have an eight-year-old cat that I’ve had for five years and she’s thrown up only once. That was at the very beginning when she was still scared of us and ate too fast.