to buy or not to buy a cat tree

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We bought our tree from that company through e-bay. We paid litterally $70 and some change including shipping by bidding on one. If you search the fur pics forum for my username and cat tree pics you should find it if you want all my details and to see my tree. If you can't find it and want to know, pm me and I'll gladly tell you exactly what I did and what not.

Oh and the tree is a very good quality. We've had no problems and our girls love it. You can see it in the video I just posted tonight with my girls playing with the lazer pointer.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried your local Freecycle first? Before I bought Puffs I checked with my local and surrounding counties freecycle sites. I didn't have luck but you could hit the jackpot. Especially since you said your short on cash. Personally I would not buy one that small. But I wanted it to give Puff some height in the house to get away from Kota. So it all depends on your needs. You could try Goodwheel also.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought mine through them as well, and the boys use it all the time! I would highly recommend it - I paid somewhere around $40 for mine, easy to assemble, and very sturdy. My cats both weigh at least 10 pounds, and will hit that thing at full speed, and it stands up well to the abuse. The toys attached to it did fall off, but its easy to fix, I just haven't felt like it. I say go for it!

zbarniv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why not build one? This took me about 3 hours and $30 worth of stuff from Lowe's hardware!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I would love the instructions to that. How did you build the shelf above the door and make it stable enough ?Beautiful kitty by the way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
zbarniv id love to build one but i dont think i have the patience for it

Sandtigress thats great that u ordered from there before and ur advice is great because Stormie now is only 5lb 6 oz but she is still only 6 months and well Bella she is up there in weight (i wish i knew what it was though
) im guessing a lil over 10 lbs...but they run at full speed when they play and
to knock things over...so ur experience with trees from them is fantastic thanx so much...thanx everyone...i am still deciding...it is soo hard to determine i really want to but idk (this is how I am when I go shopping...my dad hates shopping with me
its so hard for me to decide on things)

zbarniv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pami, every doorway is framed with studs. Building a strong shelf right above a door frame always works and the kitties love being a foot higher than all of us! The pole holds up one of the ends quite well. If you want some more details, I can give them to you. Just let me know.
Zuri

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zbarniv

Pami, every doorway is framed with studs. Building a strong shelf right above a door frame always works and the kitties love being a foot higher than all of us! The pole holds up one of the ends quite well. If you want some more details, I can give them to you. Just let me know.
Zuri
see now u got me thinking on building one
id have to discuss it with ms fix it my mother
u cant count on them men to build anything and i dont really no what types of tools id need tho
hmm now the question is buy one or build one

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

Well I have been going back and forth for a while on getting a cat tree and I dont have that much money but I did find this website http://www.armarkat.com/index.htm and I am thinking of getting this one but im not sure http://www.armarkat.com/a3003.htm all of ur opinions are greatly appreciated !!!Also I dont wanna buy one and them not use it u kno
I bought a cat tree from that seller and I think it is pretty nice. It could be a bit sturdier but it's good enough.

That same seller sells cat trees on Ebay. If you want to save some money and have some time, buy one on Ebay. He is contstantly listing all the differerent types of trees and there isn't too much competition. I picked up a nice tree for a little over $80 total from this seller on Ebay.

Here is the one I got http://www.armarkat.com/a7802.htm.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by churchi4cubs

I bought a cat tree from that seller and I think it is pretty nice. It could be a bit sturdier but it's good enough.

That same seller sells cat trees on Ebay. If you want to save some money and have some time, buy one on Ebay. He is contstantly listing all the differerent types of trees and there isn't too much competition. I picked up a nice tree for a little over $80 total from this seller on Ebay.

Here is the one I got http://www.armarkat.com/a7802.htm.
Wow! That was definitely a bargain. Maybe I should check it out.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zbarniv, that is an awesome cat tree! If I weren't currently renting (and thus unable to build anything actually attached to my apartment) I'd try duplicating that for my own cats; I'm sure they'd love it. As it is, I'll just have to file away that idea for when we finally have our own place. Nice work!

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

Wow! That was definitely a bargain. Maybe I should check it out.
When I saw the price, I had to get it and I'm not a big fan of Ebay, but this worked out great!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Personally I would not buy one that small.
The smaller the "tree", the higher the chance is that the cats won't use it. I'd shop around a bit more, and see if you can get something higher at a similar price (or build one, perhaps using easy-to-install shelves). Ebay is probably cheaper than a regular online retailer.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
that's a nice tree, but you might check out trees on eBay. i got an Armarkat tree there for $71, including shipping. it looks like this one. you can get really good deals there if you're patient. you can see pix of my kits on the tree here.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zbarniv

Zuri
that really is a cool idea... i wish i were more handy, or that i was married to a handyperson!