To all dog owners - why do they do it??

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's just my dogs (and every dog I've ever had...lol) but they go absolutely MENTAL after a bath! I have them in the shower with me because it's the best way to do it - warm water, no escape...lol - and they stand/sit there quiet as you please, love their baths and their foamy massage, and the minute they're out and towel dried they go rampaging around on the biggest maddies you've ever seen.

Is it because they feel clean and happy again? It's soooooo funny but why do they do it??

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don't know why (sorry!) but mine do that too. I love watching them, especially Pedro who tucks his tail under his butt and runs as fast as he can like a rabbit all over the house, jumping from the couch to the floor, running down the hall up onto the bed, and down again, back down the hall, finally ending up in a pile of blankets or something and rolling around all crazy. Good times.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

I think its because they want to get dirty again!!! So they look for something they can roll in!!

Silly pooches!
yup

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to wash all my bedding after I bathe Apollo.. unless I want it to smell like wet dog!

I thought Apollo was the only one that did this.. now I know he's not crazy.

jdpesz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

I think its because they want to get dirty again!!! So they look for something they can roll in!!

Silly pooches!
My sister's horse used to do that. She would be just livid at him! She'd spend hours washing drying, brushing and shining him up, and he'd go out into the corral and roll in the dust. I can still hear her screaming at him!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you know I came to the conclusion a long time ago (as did Jim Davis) that dogs race around the house for no apparent reason whatsoever "other than to mangle the family cat". But as for bathtime... I can't really put my finger on it. Tasha used to sit in the bath and shiver and look really sorry for herself... then get out and find something dead to roll in again. I wonder if it's just that they don't like the smell of soap!!

tilly tiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well my JR goes mental as well after bein toweled down she run round totally mad like a mad thing and she is great with cats cause she has been brought with them from a puppy

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jdpesz

My sister's horse used to do that. She would be just livid at him! She'd spend hours washing drying, brushing and shining him up, and he'd go out into the corral and roll in the dust. I can still hear her screaming at him!
Yup
. "Such is the nature of horses." I'd keep 'em tied 'til they were completely dry, otherwise giving a horse a bath was just an exercise in frustration.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe it's because they're trying to get their own smell back. They've been bathed and therefore don't smell like they used to. So Fido goes tearing across the house, rubbing against furniture and floors to get as many smells as possible back onto his body. Along with that, they probably just don't like the scent of the shampoo, lol (mine rubs himself on the floors if I so much as use air freshener in a room, lol)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always suspected 2 things: living in the country we have a lot of fleas and when you bath them, the fleas go wild and bite until they die off - I think they get itchy from the experience. The other theory is that the soap makes them itchy. Mine run around, but they do a lot of head rubbing and body rubbing against things afterwards.

When I bathe mine in the non-flea season and rinse them really good, they don't seem to rub around quite so much.

Just my theory and I may be all wet (so to speak)!

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pebbles would fight us getting into the tub, then just sit there looking helpless while we washed her, the woul wait untill we had the door open ot shake and bolt out the door. She was part husky so her fur soaked up the water like a sponge..... So we sent her to the groomer twice maybe 3 times a year mostly to help her get rid of her winter and summer coats.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every dog, that I've ever had, was a "run and roller". After a bath, I don't let Ike and Pearl out, until they're dry. They'd immediately go roll in the dirt and become mud puppies.

I think that they feel good, being clean and having the loose hair off and this is their form of the "happy dance".

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two dogs do the "butt tuck" and run after EVERY bath too! If you've ever seen how a pug dog run it's the funniest thing!!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL LOL LOL! Yeah, they are like some kinda wind up toy or something LOL
Absolutly nuts!

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lndscpsam

My two dogs do the "butt tuck" and run after EVERY bath too! If you've ever seen how a pug dog run it's the funniest thing!!
nassa does that if she's outside after a bath
if iv'e bathed her for a reason, like going to the vet or holiday then she has to wait in the laundrey until she's dry....she has special doggy soap, coat conditioner and doggy lavender and musk doggy deoderant so when i'm finished she's clean shiny and smells awesome, she loves it....honest

if i want to to smell good for a reason she stays inside until we leave

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

I believe it's because they're trying to get their own smell back. They've been bathed and therefore don't smell like they used to. So Fido goes tearing across the house, rubbing against furniture and floors to get as many smells as possible back onto his body. Along with that, they probably just don't like the scent of the shampoo, lol (mine rubs himself on the floors if I so much as use air freshener in a room, lol)
I agree - they "smell strange to themselves". And face it - dogs love stinky smells (why else would they roll in manure?), so they adore sweaty armpits and cheesy feet. Bathing them takes away most of the "interesting" scents that camouflage their own body odors,

dmcwlvssr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

LOL!!! Mine too I always thought this too