To Adopt Another Or Not To Adopt Another

Gypsy Witch & Persephone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Persephone turned 10 months yesterday. I adopted her on June 5 at about 10 weeks old. We are nomads who travel and live in our 17' travel trailer, just the two of us.

I know someone who is looking for a home for kittens. He keeps asking me to take one knowing I'm a pushover for animals. I have been tossing the idea back and forth.

Persephone is the first cat I've had in 20 years. In the past I had multiple cats, all female. I cannot remember how I introduced a new kitten into my home back then although I know now that information is readily available these days.

I can't help but wonder what it would be like to have two cats running around a 17' trailer. On the other hand is it better for Persephone to have a cat companion? How would she handle a younger kitten?

These kittens are entirely outdoors and run freely but are not ferrel. I'm adamant that any and all of my fur babies are kept safe. When I'm not home, Persephone is safe inside the trailer. When I'm home she can be outside on a tie out under my supervision. Can one of these kittens be harnessed trained at this point? I'm sure with two cats I would have to be untangling them frequently.

I adopted Persephone from a PetSmart adoption day. She was originally at the county kennel. She was spayed and vaxx up to date, first vet visit free at MY vet $65. Living as I do I can't afford to have an unspayed or unneutered cat. Much too dangerous for them! So I would have to find out the cost of operation first.

Would Persephone, female, be
PXL_20211221_152637222.jpg
e better off with another female or a male?

I ask these questions because I feel this decision is too important not to consider them. What do you think?

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gypsy Witch & Persephone Gypsy Witch & Persephone
Hi,
Lovely looking girl.🌸
In my opinion, I would always pair male/male or male/female. I know some do well with two females but I think more of a risk for friendly relations.

Also kittens and young cats play is often boisterous and that should be considered for your living space.

In terms of neutering, I would ask your local humane or other similar organizations if they offer low cost spay/neuter.
I think it is Pet Smart if I recall correctly, who used to do low cost vaccinations. They would have a specific day you could bring your pets in. That was a long time ago I used to go there so not sure still the case.

Yes, you can harness train a kitten. I would walk them separately though.

I don't know how to judge the size of your space but you may need to add a second litter box and keep in mind play may involve running about.

If you take a second kitten, I would choose a male.

Edit to add yes, I think at her age she would accept another kitten easily.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since Persephone is a female, I would definitely suggest adopting a male. Females are far more territorial than males. Instinct tells them to keep other females away so that they have the idea spot to raise their future kittens. Instinct does NOT tell them that it will never happen. SO, male. And YAY YIPPEE, neutering is FAR less expensive than spaying! Also, at her age, if you act fairly quickly in bringing the kitten into your home, they will almost certainly adapt to each other fairly quickly, and not need a long introduction, as two fully adult cats would. And you MUST name him "Hades," to go with "Persephone!" Well, you don't have to, but it really tickles my sense of humor.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A 10 month old will easily accept a kitten, but personally I wouldn't ever want to do two kittens (and a 10 month old counts) in a small apartment (or trailer). I've done that, and I just dont sleep well enough to have cats playing and knocking shit over at 3 or 4 am, or worse, running over my body as part of their chasing game. If you dont need tons of sleep, or you have a bedroom door, then sure, go for it. For me though, one room = one cat, and even with two rooms, I'd really hesitate over getting two kittens, because they *will* wake you up at 3 am.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gypsy Witch & Persephone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A 10 month old will easily accept a kitten, but personally I wouldn't ever want to do two kittens (and a 10 month old counts) in a small apartment (or trailer). I've done that, and I just dont sleep well enough to have cats playing and knocking shit over at 3 or 4 am, or worse, running over my body as part of their chasing game. If you dont need tons of sleep, or you have a bedroom door, then sure, go for it. For me though, one room = one cat, and even with two rooms, I'd really hesitate over getting two kittens, because they *will* wake you up at 3 am.
Good point. My only other room is a small bathroom.

Gypsy Witch & Persephone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since Persephone is a female, I would definitely suggest adopting a male. Females are far more territorial than males. Instinct tells them to keep other females away so that they have the idea spot to raise their future kittens. Instinct does NOT tell them that it will never happen. SO, male. And YAY YIPPEE, neutering is FAR less expensive than spaying! Also, at her age, if you act fairly quickly in bringing the kitten into your home, they will almost certainly adapt to each other fairly quickly, and not need a long introduction, as two fully adult cats would. And you MUST name him "Hades," to go with "Persephone!" Well, you don't have to, but it really tickles my sense of humor.
🤣 The plan was if I got a male to name him Hades!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Queens will drive away Toms because Toms will kill kittens when they find them.

Queens will form bonds with other Queens to defend their nest against Toms and have been known to share kitten rearing duties and taking over the care of orphaned kittens or kittens reject by their mother.

When neutered/spayed, the instinctual drive of Toms to kill kittens disappears and females tend to become more aloof.

My wife and I lived in our motorhome for over a year and a half quite comfortably. Unfortunately, we didn't have a cat then, but I think two felines would have been doable. Of course, I'd have a portable catio.

I think Persophone would love to have a brother or sister adopted into the home. Cats form tighter bonds with each other if raised together from kittenhood. So, the younger both cats are when introduced, the better.

Since you're living in a 17 foot trailer, I'd research cat introductions and come up with a plan. (Two cats are better than one!)

PS- The proper number of litterboxes is N cats + 1

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it can work out. Each cat is different so there is no way to tell for sure how things will go from what I have experienced over the years. But generally a cat her age would usually be happy to have a playmate and most kittens get along with most other cats. Many cats like a companion or two. I would always do a slow intro so Peresphone does not feel threatened that she is losing your attention and her dominance etc.

Gypsy Witch & Persephone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lose
I think it can work out. Each cat is different so there is no way to tell for sure how things will go from what I have experienced over the years. But generally a cat her age would usually be happy to have a playmate and most kittens get along with most other cats. Many cats like a companion or two. I would always do a slow intro so Peresphone does not feel threatened that she is losing your attention and her dominance etc.
Lose my attention...NEVER!♥

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, it seems that there is some disagreement on whether female/female or female/male is a more difficult pairing. My personal experience has been that two females will have a harder time than either female/male or male/male. They certainly can learn to live together comfortably, and I've known households with several females who did fine together, so there you have it. And Demeter is a lovely name.