Tnr Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ha ha! yeah no collars!
I'm going to try my best with the making the structure around the shelters coyote proof. I have some time as I haven't completed the shelters yet.

Thank you so much!!!
really helps to talk about it

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ha ha! yeah no collars!
I'm going to try my best with the making the structure around the shelters coyote proof. I have some time as I haven't completed the shelters yet.

Thank you so much!!!
really helps to talk about it
Yeah, the more input, the greater the chance for success! This one is unique to me, though. There are all kinds of cat enclosures that are secure, but this is kind of "neither fish nor fowl".

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, securing a cat to stay in is easy enough.
it's tough securing cats that go in and out!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More questions!

So the shelters are almost done, I lined them with styrofoam sheets, I will cut the holes and put the straw in them next weekend, and I came up with what I think is a coyote proof enclosure, I will take pics when it's all done.
As long as they hunker down if a coyote approaches they will be safe.
I have never had a coyote in my yard (yet) so hopefully they will be safe.

So just wondering if anybody knows how setup an area for them to go to the bathroom? My friend is having issues with her colony, they are going in her mulch and she was thinking about putting rubber mulch so she can hose it down, but I read that cats won't go in the rubber, I am pretty sure they are going to start going in my yard somewhere and remember I have Walli in her catio in the backyard, and I have Joey in the house too, the shelters are going to be on the side of my house out of Wallis view, Not too worried if the cats wander into the yard but I want to be cautious. I know Sammy has already seen Walli and she didn't freak out, he just wandered in the yard one day.

We live in the suburbs so space is limited.
Thanks for any thoughts!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More questions!

So the shelters are almost done, I lined them with styrofoam sheets, I will cut the holes and put the straw in them next weekend, and I came up with what I think is a coyote proof enclosure, I will take pics when it's all done.
As long as they hunker down if a coyote approaches they will be safe.
I have never had a coyote in my yard (yet) so hopefully they will be safe.

So just wondering if anybody knows how setup an area for them to go to the bathroom? My friend is having issues with her colony, they are going in her mulch and she was thinking about putting rubber mulch so she can hose it down, but I read that cats won't go in the rubber, I am pretty sure they are going to start going in my yard somewhere and remember I have Walli in her catio in the backyard, and I have Joey in the house too, the shelters are going to be on the side of my house out of Wallis view, Not too worried if the cats wander into the yard but I want to be cautious. I know Sammy has already seen Walli and she didn't freak out, he just wandered in the yard one day.

We live in the suburbs so space is limited.
Thanks for any thoughts!
Either an aerated flowerbed that is cleaned regularly, or catboxes that are cleaned regularly. Those are the alternatives, that I can think of, because just like everyone else, cats need a place to "go" that's safe.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking about making a big box and using mulch, as litter outside and moisture will make bricks!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking about making a big box and using mulch, as litter outside and moisture will make bricks!
As long as it's safe (not treated with anything toxic). Not sure how that would work, but they do have the pellet and crystal litters, which we've never tried.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They give away free mulch at the landfill I will make sure it's not treated.
I was wondering about the crystal litters too. Not sure how it would be in the rain.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My phone doesn't take very good pictures for some reason.
But this is Sammy and Tex, they are out to greet me in the morning.
They use to not hang out. This is new, Tex would eat first, but now Sammy (the tabby) eats first, they seem to hang out somewhat.
Actually they eat together now, unless I have to use the rain bin then Sammy eats first.
ha ha!

They don't usually eat here, this is a day I was trying to trap so I moved them so I could setup the trap!

Still need to get a pic of Bear (Blacky) and Charlie the un neutered short haired Tuxedo.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My phone doesn't take very good pictures for some reason.
But this is Sammy and Tex, they are out to greet me in the morning.
They use to not hang out. This is new, Tex would eat first, but now Sammy (the tabby) eats first, they seem to hang out somewhat.
Actually they eat together now, unless I have to use the rain bin then Sammy eats first.
ha ha!

They don't usually eat here, this is a day I was trying to trap so I moved them so I could setup the trap!

Still need to get a pic of Bear (Blacky) and Charlie the un neutered short haired Tuxedo.
That's a great pic, @wallli! Looks like Tex is waving to you.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tex sure looks trusting!! You have obviously built a lot of trust with them.

They look healthy and happy. GREAT work!!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is such a funny picture of Tex! yes he has come along way.
I don't think he started out Feral, he meows, sometimes pretty loudly!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be cutting the holes in the shelters this weekend, I noticed in a lot of pictures the holes are round, does anybody know why they are round instead of square? and does anyone know the size of the hole?

found the answer 5.5 or 6 inch hole

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be cutting the holes in the shelters this weekend, I noticed in a lot of pictures the holes are round, does anybody know why they are round instead of square? and does anyone know the size of the hole?

found the answer 5.5 or 6 inch hole
IDK about the shape except that depending on the tools one uses, it may be easier to do it that way. Or it may just be a personal preference.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is basically my shelter plan, the space between the vertical boards is 4 inches, I am going to put some horizontal pieces too. Oh and the roof is slanted now.
Not putting the escape hatch in the back and not considering the mulch box yet.
the building is already in progress!

I am pretty sure 4 inches is plenty for a cat to get through correct?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is basically my shelter plan, the space between the vertical boards is 4 inches, I am going to put some horizontal pieces too. Oh and the roof is slanted now.
Not putting the escape hatch in the back and not considering the mulch box yet.
the building is already in progress!

I am pretty sure 4 inches is plenty for a cat to get through correct?

Slim cats, yes. Chonkers, not so much. They'd need more space. The plan looks well thought out. Where would you put the mulch area if not in the structure? If there is no other secure area and there is room in the structure, I'd think about including it in there.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have space for it, so it might be a possibility. With cats and the unknown you never know what's going to happen, I'm stressing on the un neutered male, I hope he doesn't cause cat fights in the shelter, Not sure what I can do about it either, I just hope hope hope I can trap him, I have another appt Oct 13.

I'm worried about him running off the other cats!
any ideas?

Ugh! chased a coyote down the street this morning, that Tex is a meower, I'm sure the coyote heard him, The only reason I knew about it, my husband was leaving and I was out getting ready to put the food down, and I saw my husbands truck backing down the street toward me, he said there was a coyote coming towards us, sheesh I was about to put the food down and Tex was meowing his head off! I wen around the corner and chased him down the street.

It's getting darker later, I think I went out too soon, it was just starting to get light out tho, I have to discipline myself and feed with the sunrise schedule.