Tnr Questions

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you found out who is causing the problems. I wonder if you tell her about the food attracting unwanted wildlife(coyotes) if it's left out at night. Yet if she's drunk she will never remember. Hopefully she just stops and allows you to continue helping the cats.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to feed the cats there's is a bowl of Sardines or some kind of fish that was left there overnight.
Jeez. So she went from throwing the cat food in the street, to "helping" you by leaving them sardines? That was a quick switch. Maybe she can be reasoned with. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is very volatile, I'm hoping she forgets, I will check everynight for awhile.
I'm still planning on moving the cat food, gonna do some landscaping first.
I have a week off by myself in a couple weeks, much needed!
Last 4 months have been pretty extreme, Husband had surgery and I was in school, out of school for the summer.

who knows maybe digging in some dirt will be good therapy for me!

funny: yesterday when she asked if she could help, I said well I have some landscaping to do, I wasn't serious, but I really don't want her help.
But the good side of me actually thought maybe I can help her, she definitely could use some, but the bad side of me is scared of her!! she cra cra

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found the person dumping the food!
It's the drunk girl that stays at her Mom's across the street, I saw the Mom coming from the cat food area and the food was dumped in the street. So I went over there and had a conversation with the son and he said it's not his mom but his sister that was doing it. So I stayed and talked awhile, this family is the crazy family, cops use to come all the time for the daughter, since the father died it hasn't been as bad, so when I go to leave I see the daughter coming down the street, I say Hello and start talking to her about the cats, she started getting a little belligerent, but than I started talking to her about the situation and she asked me "you love these cats"? I said yes and then she said I am going to support you! (she is drunk) so anyway I guess that went well, but then this morning when I go to feed the cats there's is a bowl of Sardines or some kind of fish that was left there overnight. ugh!
So looks like I have a "helper"
I will now make sure there isn't any food out there at night, hopefully she forgets to put the food out there, one thing too, I am attempting to trap this weekend and if they are already getting fishy food, this could be a hinderance.
sheesh! I don't want to say anything to her, she could go off at anytime.
you can't make this stuff up!
But at least you've made friendly contact with them and they may be wacky, but hopefully not hateful. I'd count this as a good start. *PRAYERS* for those sweet cats! and for you! A lot of scary, crazy-acting people are just lonely, and/or having problems in their lives (who isn't?) and welcome someone being friendly to them. It might be a good ice-breaker and lead to good things all the way around.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a super pawsitive person!
Worried about coyotes, All the water was gone this morning, not typical!
going home for lunch to make sure everything is ok.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So everything has been going smoothly with the feeding.

unfortunately I seem to be missing 2 cats, Blacky and Mocha
Blacky was a long haired pure black, and Mocha was orange and white.
My granddaughter named him Mocha because she said he looked like the swirls on top of a Mocha.

I was so stressed out the other day when I finally realized they are actually gone, I didn't always see those 2 eat, but I always saw them on the weekends.

I put out a letter to my neighbors to see if anyone has seen them/ feeding them
or something but I'm suspecting coyotes.

I did meet more supportive neighbors going out again, so that was nice.
I'm pretty bummed.

So I have Sammy the grey Tabby left and Tex the medium haired Tuxedo, and the short haired Tuxedo I'm going to try and trap again, he needs to be neutered still.

This is probably an impossibility and I have not discussed it with my husband yet.
I know he gets tired of me being overwhelmed with cats.
We have Walli and Joey socializing in the house still. (Walli is Feral and Joey is a stray)
But anyhoo, I've been thinking, I wish I could bring Sammy into my yard, I would take Tex too, but he might be difficult, he's kind of a loner. I do see Sammy and Tex in the morning so they tolerate each other but they don't eat together.
Poor Sammy, Blacky and Mocha were his friends, I use to call them the 3 Amigos.
He's prolly kind of lost.

I know this probably won't work but am asking for inexpensive ideas on how to have shelter for them, I'm concerned about attracting other cats that would bully these cats away from anything that I could come up with.
It happened when Walli was living in the yard, those cats are gone now, plus she stood her ground, she's a scrapper!

fyi: It may not be something I can do, all the planets will have to be aligned for this to happen, and were talking Feral cats here!
just would like to discuss it.
Thanks All!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So everything has been going smoothly with the feeding.

unfortunately I seem to be missing 2 cats, Blacky and Mocha
Blacky was a long haired pure black, and Mocha was orange and white.
My granddaughter named him Mocha because she said he looked like the swirls on top of a Mocha.

I was so stressed out the other day when I finally realized they are actually gone, I didn't always see those 2 eat, but I always saw them on the weekends.

I put out a letter to my neighbors to see if anyone has seen them/ feeding them
or something but I'm suspecting coyotes.

I did meet more supportive neighbors going out again, so that was nice.
I'm pretty bummed.

So I have Sammy the grey Tabby left and Tex the medium haired Tuxedo, and the short haired Tuxedo I'm going to try and trap again, he needs to be neutered still.

This is probably an impossibility and I have not discussed it with my husband yet.
I know he gets tired of me being overwhelmed with cats.
We have Walli and Joey socializing in the house still. (Walli is Feral and Joey is a stray)
But anyhoo, I've been thinking, I wish I could bring Sammy into my yard, I would take Tex too, but he might be difficult, he's kind of a loner. I do see Sammy and Tex in the morning so they tolerate each other but they don't eat together.
Poor Sammy, Blacky and Mocha were his friends, I use to call them the 3 Amigos.
He's prolly kind of lost.

I know this probably won't work but am asking for inexpensive ideas on how to have shelter for them, I'm concerned about attracting other cats that would bully these cats away from anything that I could come up with.
It happened when Walli was living in the yard, those cats are gone now, plus she stood her ground, she's a scrapper!

fyi: It may not be something I can do, all the planets will have to be aligned for this to happen, and were talking Feral cats here!
just would like to discuss it.
Thanks All!
Don't give up hope. If it is a dangerous area, feral cats are very wary and smart and they will hide when danger approaches. Sometimes they will move to other areas where there is less danger. Sometimes they will return. You never know.
As far as your husband, you may want to explain to him that everyone doing this work gets "tired" and "overwhelmed" and the reason why we do it is that these are precious lives we are saving, and every one sterilized means fewer instances of feeling "tired" and "overwhelmed" in the future. We are making a HUGE difference and we WILL reach our goal but only if everyone who cares, puts that caring into action.
There are all kinds of shelters you can build cheaply for cats. Here are links to quite a few options at quite a few prince ranges:

Feral Cat Shelter Options

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank You! I agree my friend who has ferals gets overwhelmed sometimes too actually makes me feel not so crazy. Thank You for the link to the shelters. I have a lot to think about. I look for those 2 every day and I'm still putting out enough food for them. Going to try and trap the untrappable tuxedo cat this weekend. I can't get the drop trap till next month so if I don't get him this weekend maybe next month.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank You! I agree my friend who has ferals gets overwhelmed sometimes too actually makes me feel not so crazy. Thank You for the link to the shelters. I have a lot to think about. I look for those 2 every day and I'm still putting out enough food for them. Going to try and trap the untrappable tuxedo cat this weekend. I can't get the drop trap till next month so if I don't get him this weekend maybe next month.
It's hard, stressful work, and lives are involved, making it all the more so. Everyone who does this work is a hero in my book! IDK your location but you might want to check out "THE CAT RESCUERS" sometime. It's just released and showing in the NYC area now. I haven't seen it, being in L.A. Metro, but have heard a lot about it and promoted it on my socials since I first heard they were doing this project. The Cat Rescuers - A Documentary Film - The Cat Rescuers - A Documentary Film It's gotten LOTS of great reviews. And it puts the people doing this work where they belong -- in the pantheon of heroes.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on the Street Ferals:
I have lost one-Mocha, the orange and white one, possibly to coyotes.
Sammy the grey Tabby and Tex the long hair Tuxedo are out there every morning waiting for me, I'm starting to get attached to those 2! ugh!

Bear (Blacky) comes later I don't seem him too often, He use to hang out with Mocha, I'm sad for him. And I have a short haired Tuxedo boy I call him Charlie, since he's black and white like @Buffster7 kitty, that I still need to trap, He's not there regularly but I need to trap him, going to try again this weekend, he is so elusive! I have been using a drop trap now so if he comes I think I will get him.

So anyway, Tex is not truly Feral, He meows when he sees me in the morning and he started rubbing on my arm and I pet him the other day! ugh! I vowed not to pet these cats! So I'm wondering, and I have no experience with this, but I wonder if he is adoptable if I can work with him.

I have no clue how to go about this, because I'm sure there are too many cats that need adopting, I cannot bring him in my house as most of you know I have a Feral/Stray socializing issue in my house already.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on the Street Ferals:
I have lost one-Mocha, the orange and white one, possibly to coyotes.
Sammy the grey Tabby and Tex the long hair Tuxedo are out there every morning waiting for me, I'm starting to get attached to those 2! ugh!

Bear (Blacky) comes later I don't seem him too often, He use to hang out with Mocha, I'm sad for him. And I have a short haired Tuxedo boy I call him Charlie, since he's black and white like @Buffster7 kitty, that I still need to trap, He's not there regularly but I need to trap him, going to try again this weekend, he is so elusive! I have been using a drop trap now so if he comes I think I will get him.

So anyway, Tex is not truly Feral, He meows when he sees me in the morning and he started rubbing on my arm and I pet him the other day! ugh! I vowed not to pet these cats! So I'm wondering, and I have no experience with this, but I wonder if he is adoptable if I can work with him.

I have no clue how to go about this, because I'm sure there are too many cats that need adopting, I cannot bring him in my house as most of you know I have a Feral/Stray socializing issue in my house already.
My heartfelt condolences on your loss of Mocha! :redheartpump:((((((((:kitty:)))))))):redheartpump: I am so sorry to hear of this.
It does sound very hopeful regarding Tex.
Not sure your location but I always recommend visiting alleycat.org and bestfriends.org/resources for information and help regarding free-roaming cats.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will check it out, plus I have a couple friends who may be able to help
but when it comes to needing Cats rescued it's hard to ask for help.
Thanks for the links

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will check it out, plus I have a couple friends who may be able to help
but when it comes to needing Cats rescued it's hard to ask for help.
Thanks for the links
The thing about these sites is that they give instructions/information/suggestions as to how to do this which may be new and helpful. They are longtime experts at this, and they're nationwide. They are making a HUGE difference for cats.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am preparing to build shelters for the street Ferals, I purchased 4 bins and I’m going to line them with styrofoam sheets and use straw, since I live in San Diego, this should be sufficient.

I think I can get 2 of them over to my backyard (Sammy & Tex) Not sure if I can get Bear (Blacky) over

but he may find the shelters once I can get Sammy & Tex over.

Charlie (the un neutered tuxedo) could cause a problem, he is a bully, I need to get him neutered

I’ve had failed attempts in trapping him. But I got him a shelter also.

I hope to have him neutered before the shelters are done, hope hope hope!

I am planning on building a structure around all the shelters that coyotes can’t get in, using 2x2s and placing them at 5in intervals all the way around.

Oh and I’m planning on cutting a small piece out of the bottom of my gate to my backyard so the cats can get in there without climbing the fence, is this a good idea?

I was also thinking about putting a coyote roller at the top of the gate, but was thinking this could be dangerous for the cats in case they are running from a coyote and try to jump the gate. (yes I think too much)

I tend to get anxious about the unknowns

I am worried about coyotes finding them in my yard. that would be so awful

also when Walli was living in the yard, she was having to fight off cats, I didn’t know much then, and I felt really bad for her, one reason she is in the house now.
So I'm a bit worried about Charlie causing a problem for the other cats and running them off

also I’m worried about the cats pooping and peeing in the yard, attracting coyotes and more cats.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am preparing to build shelters for the street Ferals, I purchased 4 bins and I’m going to line them with styrofoam sheets and use straw, since I live in San Diego, this should be sufficient.

I think I can get 2 of them over to my backyard (Sammy & Tex) Not sure if I can get Bear (Blacky) over

but he may find the shelters once I can get Sammy & Tex over.

Charlie (the un neutered tuxedo) could cause a problem, he is a bully, I need to get him neutered

I’ve had failed attempts in trapping him. But I got him a shelter also.

I hope to have him neutered before the shelters are done, hope hope hope!

I am planning on building a structure around all the shelters that coyotes can’t get in, using 2x2s and placing them at 5in intervals all the way around.

Oh and I’m planning on cutting a small piece out of the bottom of my gate to my backyard so the cats can get in there without climbing the fence, is this a good idea?

I was also thinking about putting a coyote roller at the top of the gate, but was thinking this could be dangerous for the cats in case they are running from a coyote and try to jump the gate. (yes I think too much)

I tend to get anxious about the unknowns

I am worried about coyotes finding them in my yard. that would be so awful

also when Walli was living in the yard, she was having to fight off cats, I didn’t know much then, and I felt really bad for her, one reason she is in the house now.
So I'm a bit worried about Charlie causing a problem for the other cats and running them off

also I’m worried about the cats pooping and peeing in the yard, attracting coyotes and more cats.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
No, you don't "think too much" and I for one THANK YOU for thinking of and about them. If everyone did, we wouldn't have this as a matter.
I'm with you on not topping the fence. Not sure about the space under the gate, though. On our land in the Mojave, the original owner had put fieldstone boulders up around the bottom of the compound and the little yard outside one of the outbuildings to keep them secure. I don't think I'd breach the space if I were you, but that's just my thought.
*PRAYERS* and all good thoughts on getting Charlie neutered A/O!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to cut a 4inchx6inch piece out of the gate so they can get in the backyard without having to jump 6 feet.
ah maybe I wan't clear on that, If you still think the 4inch x 6inch is a problem can you elaborate?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG
I was going to cut a 4inchx6inch piece out of the gate so they can get in the backyard without having to jump 6 feet.
ah maybe I wan't clear on that, If you still think the 4inch x 6inch is a problem can you elaborate?
Not sure your location, but our place was like that due to snakes and coyotes. The adults couldn't get though that, but the small ones could, and they are just as horrible as the adults (coyotes).

Last edited:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a nice place!
Didn't think about small coyotes, do you think they can get through 4x6 inches?
that would be the same size as the holes I will be cutting in the shelters.
ugh! hate thinking about coyotes
I'm in San Diego

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a nice place!
Didn't think about small coyotes, do you think they can get through 4x6 inches?
that would be the same size as the holes I will be cutting in the shelters.
ugh! hate thinking about coyotes
I'm in San Diego
Oh, definitely they could.
And I do, too. Canids of all species are my mortal enemies.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having any suggestions for an escape of some sort for them?