Tnr Questions

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I have been speaking with a few people here about an issue I have, JCatbird suggested I post here, I am extremely overwhelmed by something I did recently.
I have Walli the Feral in one room and a catio she can go into, she does not want to expand yet. I have Joey the Stray who I took in on March, He is pretty friendly, young and a bit aggressive, they are separated, as Joey being very young and fiesty went running up to her, he got out of his room one day and they got into a fight, this was in May I think, so I'm keeping them separated so they have a chance to be socialized together one day.
So recently I think Joey's sister was in my yard, not totally sure it's his sister but just guessing. I was on my way to work and saw her in my yard and drove away because I didn't want to deal with any more cats. So I felt bad and was looking for her on my way to work saw her, just happened to have cat food in my car and I fed her. Next day I see her again and I feed her again, didn't see her for 3 days after that, maybe it was just too dark, not sure.
So I see her yesterday and I go to feed her and she has a friend with her, I feed them both, Today Her and her friend were there and possibly a 3rd cat hangs out with them, not sure if that cat was hungry or not.
The cats are about 6 houses down around a bend from my house, they do not know where I live yet.
So anyway I have all kinds of worries I'm dealing with, another Feral Friend told me if I feed, I need to TNR, which I know is true. I have contacted Feral Cat Coalition here in San Diego and they offer great services for TNR practically Free.

So If I could just voice my worries that my help.

Did I make a mistake to start feeding them?
What if I stop feeding them, they will be looking for me.
If I start helping them, it doesn't end, Cats keep coming
What if I go on vacation?
What if I need to move in 10 years?
Do I TNR in somebody else's yard?
When it starts raining, I'm going to worry about them

side note, Mom has Alzheimers, life is kind of tough right now.

If I could help these cats into a Barn program that would be perfect
but I'm finding help is hard to find.

Thanks for reading my story.
Walli and Joey's mom
Tracy

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand all your concerns. Something like this can grow if no one stops it. I hope others reading this can give tips. You can also start a thread about this. I think that would be great but you can ask me all the questions you want and i’ll try to answer. I bet others will too.
Having unattended cats around does makes us worry about them. I am willing to try and research your area as well as telling others about your need for help. (I assume you know these are not neighborhood pets. You can check around to make sure. ) I know once I see a cat, I start to worry about it. The only way I know to stop my worry is to stop the problem. I feed and TNR. ( if you TNR I suggest you ask before doing it in someone else’s yard) In my case the TNR stands for trap, neuter and rehome because this area is unsafe for cats. People hurt and kill them. When it rains or snows, I worry. I started with one cat at a time. I hunted for programs ( it is hard in the beginning but sticking with it paid off) and I have worked my way through a colony of over 100. I could have tried to ignore the cats. I just couldn’t. It was a big thing to take on, Especially in the beginning, but If I had not stopped the breeding then the 100 plus could have grown to many more and I could have watched cats suffer, get sick, starve or die. Maybe a Barn cat program would be the answer. I know it is a difficult decision when you have others to consider but if you only have a half dozen or less now you have a chance to end a population explosion. The longer you wait, the harder it gets. If you decide to tackle this then I will do all I can to assist you in finding the help you need. I have been able to get dozens of cats, to come to me, learn to love people and find good homes. I think that if someone like me can do it then so can anyone who puts their mind to it. You mentioned taking a vacation or moving in 10 years. Find an answer that addresses all those worries. I admit to being tied down at times but I also found other cat lovers to watch over and feed my kitties when I had to leave here for a family emergency. I believe that where there is a will, there is a way. You are not alone in any of your worries or concerns. I think everyone here understands. I also think there are answers for you. Trust your heart. Have faith in your gut instincts about what is the right path for you to take. You are the only one who knows what is right for you. I stand ready to support you in any way I can. You just let me know if you want help. I will scream for help for you. I will try to send good vibes your way.:vibes::heartshape:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Pal,
Sorry about your mom. I didn't know you were going through all that. I'm sending you this ((hug)) and I also asked my friend who is an expert on ferals. Here is her advice:

If the cats are being fed 6 houses down around the bend, someone is probably feeding them. That's why they're hanging out there, not at your property. If you're comfortable, you could talk to the people in those houses about the TNR program and offer to drive the cats to and from services. Or maybe put a flyer/letter on doors. After TNR, the people currently feeding the cats would keep feeding the cats and you could step back after helping with TNR.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! You have a thread of your own! This is great. I am glad it was started because you can get a lot more responses this way. I guess you got s message that this post was moved in order to help you. Please keep posting as you proceed. You will get lots of helpful info. I will put a watch on this thread to keep current. You can still pm me if you need to. The info from M maggiedemi is very good. I also think the kitties are getting some other hell. Maybe the neighborhood can form a group to handle the issues of caring for the kitties. This would solve some of your worries. Maybe someone even has a garage they can go in when it rains. Please let us know what you find out. Maybe things are already working themselves out! ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With tears in my eyes I have to say I have Hope this morning!

I posted just a couple of sentences on the Next Door App yesterday. Somebody here told me about it when I found Joey, It is a pretty good way to connect with your town.
I had a couple women reply, 1 lady asked if I would like the contact info of a woman in my town that has a colony, I have not spoken to her yet, but I'm hoping she will help me.
The Feral Cat Coalition also called me and they will provide everything for TNR
including Deworming/Flea and vaccinations I think.
Another lady called me back and she just talked to me, I already knew everything she said but she went out of her way to call me.
JCatbird as busy as she is took some time for me.
God provided for me yesterday! (hey! I'm sounding a little positive)!

I hope this woman with the colony will help me, maybe I can help her too!

M maggiedemi Thank you for always being there, I think you are right that someone else is feeding, thank you for the flyer idea, I have been worrying about how to communicate with the neighbors.

Jcatbird Jcatbird I know how busy you are, Thank you for your wisdom and kindness
I will need help and I thank you, but make sure you take care of yourself first!

So this morning Gracie was not there (she is the one I think is Joey's sister)
The black one was there and the orange and white one was there.
So I think I have 3 to TNR they seem young just like Joey.
I was a complete basket case yesterday, Without you all I would still be!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am busy but not to busy for helping. I am just grateful that things are turning around for you. Oh what a difference a day can make! You just keep everyone here updated. There are lots of great people here with experience doing exactly what you are doing. You came to the right site for help. Let me know if you need anything and I will try to help or get help. Yay!!! It’s a great day on TCS!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With tears in my eyes I have to say I have Hope this morning!

I posted just a couple of sentences on the Next Door App yesterday. Somebody here told me about it when I found Joey, It is a pretty good way to connect with your town.
I had a couple women reply, 1 lady asked if I would like the contact info of a woman in my town that has a colony, I have not spoken to her yet, but I'm hoping she will help me.
The Feral Cat Coalition also called me and they will provide everything for TNR
including Deworming/Flea and vaccinations I think.
Another lady called me back and she just talked to me, I already knew everything she said but she went out of her way to call me.
JCatbird as busy as she is took some time for me.
God provided for me yesterday! (hey! I'm sounding a little positive)!

I hope this woman with the colony will help me, maybe I can help her too!

M maggiedemi Thank you for always being there, I think you are right that someone else is feeding, thank you for the flyer idea, I have been worrying about how to communicate with the neighbors.

Jcatbird Jcatbird I know how busy you are, Thank you for your wisdom and kindness
I will need help and I thank you, but make sure you take care of yourself first!

So this morning Gracie was not there (she is the one I think is Joey's sister)
The black one was there and the orange and white one was there.
So I think I have 3 to TNR they seem young just like Joey.
I was a complete basket case yesterday, Without you all I would still be!
Hi, W walli and very glad to read your update. IDK if you got my post in response to yours, but in case you didn't and you need more references, strongly suggest you visit both of these sites: www.alleycat.org and www.bestfriends.org/resources -- the former is the database for cat advocacy and cat issues, including feral/free-roaming/outdoor/community/feral/stray/street cats, and the latter is one of the world's most successful and beloved animal sanctuaries. They have a wealth of resources, links, suggestions and also members. You can also search online for cat rescues in your local area. On facebook, input lacroixtees.com into their searchbox; this will give you a dropdown by-state menu from which you can select your state; click on that, and you'll get listings of organizations that help animals including cats, which you can contact. You can also find your local organizations online on social media. I caution against taking any cats to ACC's, humane societies, shelters because they are mostly not set up to deal with these cats and the cats will not survive in them. Stick to the resources you find on the two sites I've ref'd. *PRAYERS* and best, best luck.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will be doing homework this weekend!
I know about the Humane society killing ferals I won't allow that.
There is a place here that takes friendlies, but that is not an option right now.
Thank you so so much! I'm feeling better and hopeful.
Don't hesitate to post the tiniest of details everybody, Someone referred me to the Next Door App previously and I'm amazed at what I might of found there!

I work in Graphics so I'm at the computer all day, but when it comes to these Apps, (even Facebook) I'm a goof!
So I will dig in there this weekend

Big Hugs everybody!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will be doing homework this weekend!
I know about the Humane society killing ferals I won't allow that.
There is a place here that takes friendlies, but that is not an option right now.
Thank you so so much! I'm feeling better and hopeful.
Don't hesitate to post the tiniest of details everybody, Someone referred me to the Next Door App previously and I'm amazed at what I might of found there!

I work in Graphics so I'm at the computer all day, but when it comes to these Apps, (even Facebook) I'm a goof!
So I will dig in there this weekend

Big Hugs everybody!
Good on ya, W walli . Yes, if you get time, do check out lacroixtees.com's services. They are invaluable for all of us advocating for cats. And you'll find lots and lots...and LOTS...of pages and accounts of cat advocates. I have 5 pages on fb, all devoted to cat advocacy, plus a couple of Groups. And I'm also on twitter doing this. Along with lots of others. We have huge presence on social media.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will look at all the resources you gave me!
I saw a link on the alley cat about TNR I must read through that
when I TNR'd Walli I just did it myself with a little help from Feral Cat Coalition
but there is lots of info about TNR I don't know.
You know what would be really awesome?
Trapping all 3 at the same time, not gonna happen tho is it? :lol:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will look at all the resources you gave me!
I saw a link on the alley cat about TNR I must read through that
when I TNR'd Walli I just did it myself with a little help from Feral Cat Coalition
It could, if you have three traps set up and can monitor them. Bait them with food such as tuna, and cover them with towels or other cloths to make them blend in with the environment more so they don't look blatantly like traps. FCC is a great group! Not sure your location but here in L.A. Metro there is Stray Cat Alliance (SCA) which is another wonderful group. And yes, ACA is THE site for everything pertaining to cats, nationally and increasingly internationally as well!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh! you referred to ACA and I didn't know what it was!
I live in San Diego, The FCC has their own clinic now, when I trapped Walli they didn't have it and I had to take her to the Nueter Bus.
FCC will hold them for 24 hours after the Nueter!

So I got a response for the Next Door Ap the woman I have been speaking to is friends with the woman that has the Colony, I don't think she wants to be involved but will loan traps, that's ok, I got you guys!
I'm just going to read this weekend and come up with a flyer or figure out a way to talk to the neighbors, I think I need to know if there are any outdoor house cats.

So pretty much I need to make the appt and go for it. they are booked for a couple weeks, so I need to just figure out when I can take a day off to do this.
I think they do it during the week only.

I hope to find the other person that is feeding cats this weekend too.
Great weekend everybody!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh! you referred to ACA and I didn't know what it was!
I live in San Diego, The FCC has their own clinic now, when I trapped Walli they didn't have it and I had to take her to the Nueter Bus.
FCC will hold them for 24 hours after the Nueter!

So I got a response for the Next Door Ap the woman I have been speaking to is friends with the woman that has the Colony, I don't think she wants to be involved but will loan traps, that's ok, I got you guys!
I'm just going to read this weekend and come up with a flyer or figure out a way to talk to the neighbors, I think I need to know if there are any outdoor house cats.

So pretty much I need to make the appt and go for it. they are booked for a couple weeks, so I need to just figure out when I can take a day off to do this.
I think they do it during the week only.

I hope to find the other person that is feeding cats this weekend too.
Great weekend everybody!
Check out those sites. They used to have, and hopefully still have, lots of links to groups and people who are involved in TNR. If not, shoot them an email or call them. They know lots of people.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the letter I typed up to distribute on my street.
any additions or subtractions?

My name is Tracy and I live on Gaylen Road, I am concerned about the Stray Cats on our street, I am preparing to Trap and Nueter a few of the cats on our street, I see them early in the morning towards the middle of Gaylen.

I’m hoping that you will contact me if you have a cat that goes outdoors, and let me know the description of your cat so I don’t trap and Nueter your cat.

Also if anyone else is helping/feeding these strays please contact me, we may have information to help each other.

When I go to trap them I hope to trap them all at the same time, but that’s probably wishfull thinking,

I appreciate all your support and any help I can get.

I will be using services of Feral Cat Coalition to help Nueter, Vaccinate and some other treatments they provide.

So Far I see a small grey tabby, a black cat that seems friendly that could be someones pet or abandoned, not sure, also an orange and white one.

These are all fairly small and seem to be young.
I also saw a Calico that seems to be a kitten.

Thank you neighbors for any help and information you can give me!

Please call me!

@tarasgirl, I went on Face Book and did not see the drop down for lacroixtees.com, can you post a screen shot? Still waiting for the women in my town to contact me, they may help me, not sure yet, I think one of them takes kittens and rehomes them.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the letter I typed up to distribute on my street.
any additions or subtractions?

My name is Tracy and I live on Gaylen Road, I am concerned about the Stray Cats on our street, I am preparing to Trap and Nueter a few of the cats on our street, I see them early in the morning towards the middle of Gaylen.

I’m hoping that you will contact me if you have a cat that goes outdoors, and let me know the description of your cat so I don’t trap and Nueter your cat.

Also if anyone else is helping/feeding these strays please contact me, we may have information to help each other.

When I go to trap them I hope to trap them all at the same time, but that’s probably wishfull thinking,

I appreciate all your support and any help I can get.

I will be using services of Feral Cat Coalition to help Nueter, Vaccinate and some other treatments they provide.

So Far I see a small grey tabby, a black cat that seems friendly that could be someones pet or abandoned, not sure, also an orange and white one.

These are all fairly small and seem to be young.
I also saw a Calico that seems to be a kitten.

Thank you neighbors for any help and information you can give me!

Please call me!

@tarasgirl, I went on Face Book and did not see the drop down for lacroixtees.com, can you post a screen shot? Still waiting for the women in my town to contact me, they may help me, not sure yet, I think one of them takes kittens and rehomes them.
I wish I could help with that screenshot, W walli , but unfortunately facebook changed me from a private account to a Page, insisting I'm a business (I'm not) and I can no longer access things via the searchbox as a result. I used lacroixtees.com quite a long time ago, so they may well not be up anymore. But I'll try just going directly to the site www.lacroixtees.com and seeing if I can get them that way. Yes, they still have the by-state directory up on the website. Here's the direct link: AnimalRescueDirectory.net
The only thing I see in your letter is one spellcheck: NEUTER not nueter. ;) Just be aware when you're talking to any of these people; use your intuition and anyone who seems shady, avoid. But you know that. Give as little info as possible to others -- only what's essential. For the cats' protection.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi T,
It sounds good. Maybe a little long? People have short attention spans. I'll ask my friend, the feral cat expert what she thinks and let you know. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend said you could include something like this:

"The process is that the Feral Group spays/neuters/vaccinates, then the cats are returned and released back to the neighborhood where trapped. They'll be coming back, and will still need to be fed for life. We just won't have 300 stray cats in a year."

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got all four of my Hobo Cats in the same weekend thanks entirely to the expertise of the TNR volunteers. Three of them went into traps the night we set them. The fourth I lured in with breakfast the next morning. It just depends on how many traps you can get to set out and how quickly you can get the trap covered and out of the area to avoid scaring them all into hiding.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got all four of my Hobo Cats in the same weekend thanks entirely to the expertise of the TNR volunteers. Three of them went into traps the night we set them. The fourth I lured in with breakfast the next morning. It just depends on how many traps you can get to set out and how quickly you can get the trap covered and out of the area to avoid scaring them all into hiding.
That is good news, This is one of my worries, You have to have appointments for the TNR If I don't get them all at once, I will have to do it all over, Do I need to make apppointments for 2 days in a row?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend said you could include something like this:

"The process is that the Feral Group spays/neuters/vaccinates, then the cats are returned and released back to the neighborhood where trapped. They'll be coming back, and will still need to be fed for life. We just won't have 300 stray cats in a year."
Yeah it is a bit long, that was good info about how many strays we could end up with, I will edit. Thinking about handing them out tomorrow after work.
Still feeling very stressed, the women in my area still may help me, just conversing thru the next door ap still, The help is not clear yet, I hope to meet up with them once I get appt.

another worry I have, I am feeding them out in the open down the street, I live in San Diego so the weather isn't too bad in the winter, but what if it rains, I'm sure they won't be there or they will be there, and I won't know how to feed them in the rain.