TNR? But how to get started

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have six indoor cats, so adding any more to that is right out. I don't have any more rooms where a litterbox could go, even if I did get a successful introduction (I have one that is only partially successful--Mabel and Cosette most emphatically do not get along, but they each separately get along fine with the other four).

A few years ago, I started putting food down for a cat-about-town (who fled from me, but only about 20 feet distance, and he'd watch and let me put the food down). That was a gray-and-white tux, but he hasn't been around for the last two years. Shortly after the gray and white tux came, there was a black tom (who still comes around occasionally, but he's very clearly getting "up there" in stray tom years, as sometimes he's so battered I wish he'd let me get close). When the gray and white tux was still showing up, suddenly three half-size cats started showing up, too.

Well, now the three grays have grown up, and all three of them are female. So, you know where this is going ... Last spring, I know that there were two litters, which originally had a total of five kittens (three belonging to the gray with white socks, two belonging to a mostly-gray dilute calico). Of those, two kittens remain and my best guess from fleeting glimpses is that these two are both male. There's now, also, occasionally a tabby tom who shows up, and he is most definitely the father of one of surviving spring kittens (the "stripes" are rows of leopard spots on both the older tom and the kitten).

More recently, there was at least one more litter of kittens. Last Thursday I glimpsed four still-blue-eyed gray and tabby kittens. Last Friday, I found two of them dead on/near my driveway. I have since seen one of the gray babies, but not any more dead kittens, so I don't know if the fourth died elsewhere or is just not coming out at the same time as the one I've seen.

My next door neighbor has a raised porch, where he's got a lot of feeding bowls and I know at least some of them sleep over there. Others have found their way into shelter on my property.

The females are all rail-thin (which might be why their kittens are not faring so well?). Obviously, they'd be a lot better off if they could be spayed and not be stressed out by pregnancy/nursing. The two older kittens (probably born in April/early May) are pretty tolerant of me (they don't run away when I'm outside--I think they just associate me with food).

The vet I take my cats to is pretty old-school (5 months/pounds) vs early spay/neuter (I'm thinking specifically of the three kittens), and I'm not sure how that would work with the females as far as post-spay care. And then, too, there's the cost factor. How does one go about starting, as it seems I've got a bit of an outdoor colony going on top of my six indoor cats.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! Been there too. There are resources out there but it may take some hunting. You start one kitty at a time. I started with any I could catch, befriend or trap and went fatter females first to stop the population evcolodion. Alley Cat allies may have a link but do a google search for your city, county, state, town, country. I don’t know where you live but if there is a Humane Society, feral, stray rescue group, or perhaps even the local Animal control may offer discount services for TNR as well as immunizations. There could be a “Barn Cat” program too. If you call Animal control, make sure they know that you DO NOT want the cats removed. I called anonymously at first to find out the rules and laws where I live. There are lots of shelters in the US but many are recovering from struggles during Covid. Just keep trying. If a call, text or email is not returned, keep sending messages and calling. We are in kitten season and many are just busy. Persistence pays off! I mage a pest of myself until I started getting replies. If a rescue group replies, they may be able to help house the kitties for a couple of days after surgery or even find homes. This is a little bit of a process and many of us have been through it. If you need help finding the resources in your area you can private message me and I will help you look them up. A google search is a good start though. That’s what I did.
There are ways to confine kitties during the process. I used large cages that I kept wherever I could find room! I had cages everywhere for awhile! I already had cats too. I had to rush the process here since the kitties were at risk. Over 100 were spayed/ neutered, immunized and socialized over about two years. Over 80 got adopted. If you can find a foster willing to help you, that is invaluable help! I found one who adored kittens and she helped me transport them for adoption. If you send any to ANY shelter, make sure they are a No Kill shelter.
I know all this is a lot to take in but it is sooo important that you just take it one kitty at a time. Thank you so very much for caring! We just need more people like you out there! If you are a cat guardian, you are a kitty hero. Don’t give up! Persistence and love will get it done. Please do post back and also, check around on the site. Many have gone through this or are doing it now. You have a lot of supporters here who will offer tips and love you for what you are trying to do. :heartshape::clap2::goldstar:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am just adding a couple of things that I have done when there has been a kitten apocalypse. The last time I worked with two humane traps and it was often that both were almost immediately used. Females I left over night at the vet but I do understand that you are thinking about cost here as well.

Feral Friends Network® Connect You can try this link to Alley Cat Allies. They supposedly have people worldwide who will help or give advice on a volunteer basis in feral cat situations. Some on TCS have been happy with the response but I do want to caution that it is not guaranteed. Make it clear to them, or any rescue you talk to, that you don't expect them to come and do all the trapping or take all the kittens, even if you are secretly hoping that they will do at least some of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not having a whole lot of luck just yet. Alley Cat Allies doesn't have anything within 25 miles of me. I found one group in another county when I went to SpayUSA, but they only provide services for people that live in that county. Spay Illinois is mis-named, as it seems they think "all over Illinois" means Chicago suburbs. It looks like I may have to (with great trepidation, as the county animal control is a kill shelter, and I do *not* want these cats and kittens taken away, I just want to stem the tide of a growing feline population) go to the county. I'm just afraid of ending up "on the radar" and having these cats taken anyway.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
allmykitties allmykitties —- know you’re FAR from alone in your experience & your frustration. But if it weren’t for people like you (& Jcatbird Jcatbird - who’s gone thru a VERY similar situation & somehow lived to tell the tale/tail :) , plus many many more here) - the world, esp the feline one, would be even tougher. So know that lots and lots and lots of us are rooting for - and thinking of - you!

That said — I know that encouragement can really help, but what you really need are ideas and sources. When I first started TNR work years ago, the resources were even fewer & harder to come by (hard to believe!), but don’t give up. Sounds like you’re going about things the right way — it just may take time - more then you’d like unfortunately. Not knowing where you live (besides, I assume, Illinois) - I agree that it’s smart to take caution. Not avoid by any means - just to be cautious- with any group you speak with until you know how they work & what they do. But contacting local animal control - even if they can’t offer you the assistance you need — can actually be positive, putting yourself on their radar in a GOOD way (as in, you’re desperately working on a humane way to reduce, and continue to reduce, the # of cats in your area can, if they get a “nuisance call” about your area, let them know you’re on it already & ‘rounding them up’ is not necessary!). Often if they know someone’s already trying to handle the cats humanely, it takes it off their hands in a sense. However - every organization & place is different - but having worked on all 4 sides (County Control, County Humane Society, no-kill private animal & private cat shelters, & lastly plain ol’ me & pals doing what we could outside of the system), most organizations are happy to have someone else trying to handle things & are much kinder to the ‘handler’ in the long run.
That said- options. This site is wonderful for getting eyes & ears on the ground to help you find resources not easily found. I’ve had good luck w/Alley Cat Allies —- but last time I worked w/them it was years ago & a much smaller organization. The Feral Connection group hadn’t started yet - so I called the organization itself & left messages - eventually getting me to someone who really helped. I’d reach back out to organizations you already spoke to & let them know you’re hitting brick walls & really need help. If you sound positive but desperate, letting them know you’re willing to do as much as humanly possible yourself, but still need help w/the process & monetarily, more often than not someone will have a suggestion or two —even if it’s a small private group willing to help people like you, etc. They are out there!

I know having an “older fashioned vet” is frustrating too — ours fixed at 4 months, but 5 months -wow- they can already be making new kittens!!!! I basically switched mine bc of that. Talk to other vets in your area (in person if possible - they’ll be far more likely to feel your angst!) - they may have other sources for low cost spay & neuter. Google “low-cost” & “spay & neuter.” Even if what you come up w/is technically out of your area - call them & explain —again, they may know of others nearer to you.

It’s late & my brain’s on “mostly off” —- so I’ll think more when more coherent. This site is mighty — hopefully between us all we’ll help you find a way!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi allmykitties !

I would never second-guess your search techniques and skills.....that said, let me share some thoughts I recently passed along to someone else who was having trouble finding 'allies' in her quest to help her local kitties:

Now, the 'devil's in the details' here - note the "under the radar" comment and the "exact" Google search terms: Help with Feral Mama Cat and Kittens.

Equally important in there is what Jcatbird Jcatbird has to say about using every contact to the max and persistence.

and.........always great folks here for you as well! :agree:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do understand “under the radar!” Many people have that concern in some places. My county did not allow TNR years ago and when I started working with the cats mentioned I checked the laws. I contacted the local animal control officer because I saw animals suffering. At first I was nervous and did not give much information but I found that officer to be an amazing and very empathetic person. I ended up being able to be completely open with him about the issues and he remains one of my contacts. I started working through the county animal shelter to get spays and neuters for a few through a barn cat program and before long found myself actually offering help to them! Together, with some other kind humans, ( including a representative from Best Friends.org) we worked to get the local ordinances passed to allow TNR to be done by caring citizens and to raise funding to assist them with expenses. Just start one step at a time. I know getting turned down for help is frustrating but DON’T give up. Repeat everything to every human who cares. Tell them you are trying to stop the population from growing and to save lives. If one group says they cannot help, ask if they know any other place you can contact. Networking is what got me through. I started just as you are doing. I had no idea where to start or who could help because the last colony I had worked with had been years ago and there was NO help to be found. Feral and rescue groups did not exist where I lived at that time. Things have improved greatly but it takes time to locate them and become established as someone who will follow through with these cats. Try to understand that they get lots of calls from people who want to help cats but don’t understand TNR means trap Neuter and release or just want them to remove cats, expect them to just come and magically solve all the trapping etc. without assistance or who just aren’t going to follow through after being given help. Just keep looking and asking for help. Some groups specialize in helping with trapping, some help with vet services and some help with adoptions. Some even help with all but all groups are trying to help a lot of kitties. With every person like you who joins in helping, we take steps forward. People like you are crucial! There is strength for all the programs in numbers so we need you! I know you said the nearest help is 25 miles away but , tell them you need closer help and see if they can connect you to others nearer. I will say that I even used a shelter in the next state at one point because I was dealing with large amounts of cats but it was well worth it. Not only did I get more help, I made more helpful connections through them. One thing will lead you to another. Let me mention other possible resources. You will have to contact them as to current resources but they might help. The National Spay Alliance has helped with female cat spays by helping to fund the Spay through approved vets locally. Best Friends.org has good information. The Feral Cat coalition may still be helping. Call ALL the vets near you and explain what you need. Most animal control offices have traps that can be borrowed but some ask for a small deposit to be sure you return the trap later. If you are worried about the cats, go to your county website and look up local animal ordinances. The rules should be there. If you are still afraid of being on the radar, send me a PM. If I know your approximate location by county, I can do some research for you and relay it back to you privately. If you go to Petfinders on the internet and look at cats up for adoption near you, you will also see the name and location of shelters near you. Call them and ask about resources for Spay and Neuter or TNR. For an example, I typed in cats for adoption Illinois. I got photos of cats and tapped on one of the cat photos. At the bottom of the description of that cat it said “Logan County Hunane Society.” The phone number is there too. I have no idea if that is near you but under each one it will say how many miles away it is from you. If you have a Humane Society near you, contact them about Spay and Neuter help. You don’t have to give your location or contact information until you feel confident that you are getting the kind of help you want. If they ask, tell them you are just looking for local information right now. They may need to know if you are in the same county to provide services or funding but that isn’t unusual. Some help within certain counties and others will help outside the county too. It varies greatly from state to state and city to city. Please don’t feel discouraged. It just takes patience and diligence. Please do keep us informed. You have our gratitude and support as you proceed. :heartshape:

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Call any and every rescue anywhere near you. Ask for resources, be persistent. Someone is performing the spay/neuter for their intakes, find out who/where. Helping you means preventing them from having to intake more cats in the future.

Also call every single vet you can find. Explain the situation. Ask if they will work with you and give you a price break as a service to the community (just as you are). Also google “low cost vet (your area)” specifically.

Call universities nearby with veterinary medicine programs. Ask for resources, ask if they hold spay/neuter days for their students.

Post on Nextdoor and local Facebook pages. Ask if anyone knows of a spay/neuter clinic, vet or university offering low cost services for Ferals/strays, or if they have rescue connections, etc

There is someone in your area who will help, we just gotta find them!

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I now have two scheduled for neuter. I'm hoping that I get the kittens I call Jemmy and Leo first, because if they get neutered now, they won't start fighting/getting injured/wandering all over creation in search of breeding opportunities. Plus they're best buddies right now, and I'd like to see them stay that way (they didn't come from the same litter, but I believe the mothers are related so "cat cousins"). Jemmy is the tabby (with leopard spots forming the stripes), Leo is the orange fellow. The dilute calico that is Leo's mother has been a lot more sporadic in showing up, which I hope doesn't mean that there's another litter out there. Socks (Jemmy's mother) and Lady Jane (gray tabby who was the mother of the group of 4 that didn't make it) are here regularly, as is the adult tabby tom (I guess I'm calling him Thom for lack of a better name) and Blot (an all-black tom).

Of course, I don't think any of them know the names, and to them I'm just lady-who-gives-food.

The challenge now comes in getting the captures at the right time.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not having a whole lot of luck just yet. Alley Cat Allies doesn't have anything within 25 miles of me. I found one group in another county when I went to SpayUSA, but they only provide services for people that live in that county. Spay Illinois is mis-named, as it seems they think "all over Illinois" means Chicago suburbs. It looks like I may have to (with great trepidation, as the county animal control is a kill shelter, and I do *not* want these cats and kittens taken away, I just want to stem the tide of a growing feline population) go to the county. I'm just afraid of ending up "on the radar" and having these cats taken anyway.
I live in Southern Illinois too, about an hour from St. Louis. You can PM me with the county you are in and I will see if Ican find any resources.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, Jemmy just had his surgery (and vaccinations) today. Unsurprisingly, considering he has lived outside all his life until Monday night, he has worms, fleas and ear mites, so will be treating for all of that. Leo is scheduled for next week.

They are both currently living in my bathroom. Leo is pretty tame (I could even pick him up and pet him today), Jemmy is much more skittish. But I think that I may just be able to get these guys to a state of being adoptable together. My bathroom is pretty small so I totally emptied out the cabinet under the sink and put in some of my old towels (the ones that really are no longer suitable for drying my body with, but will do for cleaning rags or mopping up a big spill) and have it propped so that there's one door open (against the wall) and one door shut (toward the middle of the bathroom). There's a door on both ends of the bathroom, so I hook-locked the one that goes into a more open room (the house was built pre-WWII and this particular room has no doors except for the door to the bathroom and the door to upstairs--the hook lock is the only lock on the bathroom door and I locked that to be sure the door doesn't get opened by accident) and set the litter box against that. The other door is entered through my bedroom (so I'm able to make a secure "catlock" and keep all of my cats out of my bedroom for now to prevent any intermingling), so the food and water dishes are toward that end.

For now, Jemmy pretty much spends all of his time in the cabinet. My college-age son (who lives with me) also goes in frequently to talk to them (he sees himself as a bit of a "cat-whisperer" and Leo started head-butting him while son was petting Leo). Tomorrow when there's some daylight, I'm going to try to get another picture of them in their "new digs".

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, well done! That sounds like a great set-up for them. It's quite normal for Jemmy to hide at first, particularly as he's just have surgery. If Leo hasn't been treated for parasites yet there is a chance they will pass them back and forth between the two of them. Ask your vet about a second round of flea and worm meds for them both.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Progress! I am so very happy for you and the kitties. I know that when we start out it seems overwhelming but you have leaped a hurdle and done it beautifully! :clap2::goldstar: It sounds like both of these could be socialized if you think you could find homes but at the very least, socializing them so you can handle them for any future needs will make life much, much easier from now on. Bravo!

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I was thinking it might be best to hold Jemmy's treatments for all the parasites until Leo goes to the vet next week (when Leo will be almost certainly coming home with the same set of parasite treatments). My thinking runs along two reasons: give Jemmy a week of learning to associate me with good things and hopefully become a little more tolerant of handling; second, have Jemmy and Leo on the same treatment schedule.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Edit -- link wasn't working right ... will try again at lunch time

OK -- a couple pictures of them (I opened the other door of the cabinet and had enough light that you can see Jemmy in the back). Jemmy is hissing at me if I attempt to pet him, but he is eating and I presume he is partially filling the box because I don't think Leo can produce everything I've scooped out.

If I didn't say--Jemmy gets his name from the Cats character Jennyanydots whose "coat is of the tabby kind with tiger stripes and leopard spots" with a change of consonant because he's a boy. Leo just seemed to be the right name (maybe because middle son who lives across the street from me has an orange cat he named Felix).

Last edited:

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Major progress with Jemmy today. Leo's a little lovebug now, so there's little more socialization needed--I just need to get him neutered (appointment on the 11th) and get him parasite-free. Jemmy has been the more skittish of the two, and almost (but not completely) untouchable.

Jemmy, as seen in the pictures, liked to wedge himself between the wall and the water pipe when I came into the bathroom. But today he was in the sink, and though he at first wanted to run away, he didn't--and I spent several minutes petting him in the sink and he stayed there even afterwards (rather than doing his usual flight back into the cabinet or in the corner behind the toilet).