TNR? But how to get started

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I hope that you are making a successful recovery from your surgery. If the vet is turning his practice over to the new one, you should have an immediate history and be able to proceed as usual.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, prior vet is just closing the practice, not turning it over to another. I did get the records for all of my cats (his letter telling all of us gave the info on how to get that), which includes Domino's vaccine reaction (I get his shots separated by time, which reduces it a lot, from looking like someone stitched a ping pong ball under his skin to a lump about the size of a small pea that you have to dig in his fur to find)--since Cosette is due the week after TV and Domino, it makes it easy to just take Domino back in when I bring in Cosette.

I'll just have to do the best I can, hopefully while my little colony remains really small. If I can get the kittens fostered, I think they can become adoptable, which would just leave me with Socks and the toms.

Did get a pretty good view on gray-and-white kitten--the kittens were play-fighting and he was on his back with a really good view of parts, and so at least one boy. Still unable to get a decent view on the brown tabby.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Glad that you have been able to get a peek at the gray and white and saw that he is a boy. My last feral litter had three calicos...so knew for sure they needed to be fixed....and a black and white who was the exact replica of the dad. I almost took a chance on that one being a boy but was advised by people here not to....and she was a girl.

Good that you have records as that will help the next vet and also makes you appear really conscientious.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, today I caught Socks and got her spay. She is currently in the "recovery room" (large cage in my utility room), and has been pretty quiet. After this, there are just the unaltered toms, and will have to wait to see which ones stay (I got Socks when she was probably early pregnancy .. I caught one of the toms with her two weeks ago).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you! I have one little female left to get spayed, she is going into her 7th month and I'm just praying she doesn't go into heat until we get a little nicer weather around here. Hopefully next month. She is almost half the size of her half-brother and sisters who are going into their tenth month and all spayed. I hope that means she is not maturing as fast.
I know how scary this is, I had to go to 'selective' trapping on the last one, using the old bottle propping the door open with a long string and it worked amazingly well! I will have to do it with her as well, none of them are afraid to go into the traps, even though trapped before. I know how it feels to have the butterflies in your stomach and then worrying about the spay.
I wish you well, you are on your way to no more mouths to feed!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Great news! You must be very relieved at your accomplishment after all this time.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am looking forward to a spring without more kittens (who almost universally ended up not making it ... Jemmy, who lives inside with me now, is the only one of Socks' kittens that achieved adulthood). Once things settle down, I'll make a decision about the toms, once things settle after Socks' last heat (I have about 3 showing up that aren't familiar to me otherwise, in addition to my 3 regular toms).

The part that has me really irritated is that two doors up, the people got an orange-and-white kitten that they had as an indoor/outdoor, and then when he got to be older (looking more cat than kitten) they didn't let him inside anymore ... and got another orange-and-white kitten who also was indoor/outdoor ... and now that that one is more cat than kitten, he also appears to be homeless (based on the fact that they have a porch, but these two boys are showing up at my place to eat even the other day when we were having freezing rain/snow). I suspect, since these are males, that they had matured to start spraying and that's why they weren't let inside any more. At least it looks like they finally quit getting kittens and just have a big dog.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Orange cats are more than likely boys, as you know. I have had exactly one orange female in my entire life. People can be so irresponsible with cats, based on the belief that if you put them outside they will survive by hunting. You have your hands full it seems.

The toms may leave once there is no female to mate with. Might even be unaltered pets, at least one of them. At least in the interim you won't have any new litters.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes--and with Fred and Fred Jr (as I have dubbed these two boys--they are white with random large splotches of orange), I've also seen confirmation of my gender identification based on "rear views". I think at least half of the girls with orange genes are tricolors.

As far as the toms are concerned, I'm pretty sure that Thom (Jemmy's father) is feral--he is quite horrified if I get close even if it's when I'm putting out food; several of the new guys I think do have homes somewhere, so I may be down to just Thom and the Freds in addition to my gray ladies (Socks is a gray tabby with white feet, Lady Jane is a gray tabby) as the permanent crew.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Socks.jpg

You can't see her white feet (the reason I call her Socks), but she is still a lovely lady who will have no more kittens.