Tired of playing "guess" and looking for help

iPappy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why didn't I think about adding a pinch of liver to Darko's food to help him with the issues he has with the excess bone :frustrated:. He's 13 and most definitely has constipation issues worse than ever. Adding in extra muscle meat isn't working, so liver it will be from now on. Just a pinch :yummy:
I'd try it! I have one who won't touch liver so I have to get creative and wrap this tiny sliver up in a meatball. :sigh: Chicken hearts are kind of rich too, if you can find them.
I bought chicken livers by the pound and portioned them out into tiny little containers. I can't believe how long a pound of them lasts.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How have I missed all these years that liver can help with constipation?! We have plenty of freeze-dried chicken and turkey liver that I use in the cats' homemade food. Egg yolk seems to work well for our cats but it's always good to have something else on hand, too.

iPappy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How have I missed all these years that liver can help with constipation?! We have plenty of freeze-dried chicken and turkey liver that I use in the cats' homemade food. Egg yolk seems to work well for our cats but it's always good to have something else on hand, too.
After dealing with dogs and cats (some mine, but many not mine) with chronic bowel issues and IBD problems, I can safely say I'm very educated in poop :crazy:
I have noticed in the past that using these things once the cat is already experiencing constipation to the point of not having "gone" for a few days doesn't always do the trick. I've used miralax and other things for this problem, with good (and smelly) results.
If you have a dog or cat with the opposite problem (diarrhea) but need the nutritional content of liver or heart for a balanced diet, I have had really good luck using the powdered-in-capsules form of the freeze dried organs. I have thrown these in the barn cats food and there seems to be no taste or smell. It doesn't seem to have as much as a laxative effect as the actual food source does, but YMMV so proceed with caution!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After dealing with dogs and cats (some mine, but many not mine) with chronic bowel issues and IBD problems, I can safely say I'm very educated in poop :crazy:
I have noticed in the past that using these things once the cat is already experiencing constipation to the point of not having "gone" for a few days doesn't always do the trick. I've used miralax and other things for this problem, with good (and smelly) results.
If you have a dog or cat with the opposite problem (diarrhea) but need the nutritional content of liver or heart for a balanced diet, I have had really good luck using the powdered-in-capsules form of the freeze dried organs. I have thrown these in the barn cats food and there seems to be no taste or smell. It doesn't seem to have as much as a laxative effect as the actual food source does, but YMMV so proceed with caution!
This is very interesting, thank you! I'd never heard of these capsules but will keep them in mind, for just in case. Our cats' main problems seem to be vomiting for one and mild constipation for the other but one never knows what will happen with them!

iPappy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is very interesting, thank you! I'd never heard of these capsules but will keep them in mind, for just in case. Our cats' main problems seem to be vomiting for one and mild constipation for the other but one never knows what will happen with them!
They're always full of surprises, aren't they? :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty is eating and almost done her antibiotics. Still needing to take her pain medicine but I am starting to wonder if it is her teeth bugging her more now than the pancreatitis. On the plus side, she is doing much better.

That's awesome to know about liver and eggs. Will have to keep that in mind. I also didn't know that about liver.

The local shop here told me they had samples of Big Country Raw: Fare Game Archives | Big Country Raw
Unfortunately they were mistaken and they sent a bison/beef from Nature's Premium (luckily I know she likes these already): Products – Nature's Premium
Along with some Red Dog Blue Kat (lamb/venison): https://www.reddogbluekat.com/cat-products

Big Country Raw lists their bone content as 10%. Instead I sent them a mail asking if they suggested their rabbit or kangaroo based on some comments. They mentioned to me that poultry proteins and rabbit are more likely to cause constipation and that red meats like kangaroo make a softer stool. They also mentioned their Fare Game formulas are made to help reduce the chances of constipation by being under 10% fat -- not sure if that adds up with the rabbit comment. Finally they pointed towards their Thrive Bovine Pancreatic Enzyme product. None of the vets mentioned EPI to me but it might be something I will consider--Last month I bought the Thrive Bladder support following the UTI and I suspect using too much powder on her very little amount of food she's currently eating would not go over well!

Either way, a shipment of food arrived for us the other day. In it was a box of Red Dog Blue Kat's kangaroo complete for cats: Kangaroo Complete | Red Dog Blue Kat
She loves this. It's great seeing her interested in food again. I'm still worried it might be too bone heavy for her but I suppose this is an opportunity to see how the litter box goes. If the kangaroo does indeed make a softer stool, then maybe this is the answer for her. It's also readily available here.

If not, there is a small chance I can get a prescription canned version of kangaroo without bone content: KANGAROO-MAINT FELINE CANS — Rayne Canada

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty is eating and almost done her antibiotics. Still needing to take her pain medicine but I am starting to wonder if it is her teeth bugging her more now than the pancreatitis. On the plus side, she is doing much better.
This is great to hear, I'm glad you're seeing improvement! (Even if her teeth might still be hurting...)

Here's hoping the new foods continue to work for her. It sounds like you have a lot of interesting food choices, a big plus.