Tips to prevent spraying...before it starts

frankiecatsle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've posted a little in other threads about a kitten we recently adopted. He's 16 weeks old now and has a grade 5 heart murmur. We just went to his latest check-up yesterday, vet confirmed the murmur hadn't improved, and we now have a referral to a cardiologist. Because of the severity of his murmur, he can't be neutered right now, maybe ever, but especially not until we know more from cardio. They have about a three month wait list (not many options in this area) so...my question.

Is there anyway to help stop spraying or prevent it, just anything at all that could help just a little while he's intact? If we can eventually get him fixed, we definitely will but until then? I'm nervous about his spraying everywhere once he reaches maturity.

If it matters, we also have two female (fixed) cats and one female (also fixed) dog. Watson (the kitten) gets along great with the dog and one of the cats. He'd love to get along with the other cat if she'd let him. They aren't too terrible around each other, she just hisses at him from time to time when he acts like his typical kitten self but obviously their relationship could be way worse. They'll all sleep on the bed together and share space, she really only hisses when he gets extremely close or tries to pounce (typical cat/kitten stuff IMO).

I meant to ask the vet but it just slipped my mind with everything going on with him. I feel like most google articles just say "fix him!" (I'd love to) and read a little bit of advice about working on his confidence and making sure there's no strays around, etc. Any other words of wisdom that aren't often mentioned? Any input would be great!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm by no means an expert but based on the street cats and the male cats of my relatives, they spay more as they get older. Where I live most people wait until the kitten is at least like 5-6 months old. My one cousin waited until her one cat was like 11 months old or so due to health concerns. He had access to outside and if he were to spay, he usually spayed outside and even when he tried at home there was nothing left anyway.

These things really depend on the individual cat too. One street cat here got neutered at maybe 10 months? 11? He was definitely not small. And only the last month female cats around started to get his attention. No trying to mate or spaying before that.

In your situation my concern would be his stress level with the female cats if it's not possible to ever neuter him. Eventually he will try to mate with them which is stressing for them, and they will aggressively reject him which is stressing for him. Hopefully the cardiologist will have optimistic news!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankiecatsle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm bumping my old post, I hope it's allowed? Watson is now 5 months old and I'm 90% positive he sprayed by our bathroom door. I don't know what to do because I know this is going to continue and I don't want my house to smell like this. I scrubbed it down with an enzyme cleaner for now but what am I gonna do? Get a lifetime supply?

The cardio can't get him in until May. They told us sometimes they get cancellations and they go down the list to call and see if anyone can come in earlier but no such luck yet.

Does anyone have any tips for how to handle spraying when you can't get a male cat neutered? Trust me, if he's cleared for neutering it will be the first thing I do but I don't know what to do in the meantime or if God forbid, this is forever. A friend of mine recommended "stud pants" but oh my, not entirely sure he'd tolerate them for 5 minutes much less until May. But has anyone ever tried them? Are the effective?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just came across your thread now. Poor Watson, and poor you. I hope you can get him in to see the cardiologist before May. :crossfingers:

If he's only 5 months old, that seems a bit young to have started spraying. Probably not impossible, but from things I've read, even though cats reaches maturity around 6 months, they are usually older before they begin spraying. So you might want to consider getting him checked at the vet just to ensure he doesn't have a UTI.

Did the pee smell like tom cat strong? I know once they're neutered, that stink goes away, but don't know at what age it starts to smell that bad.

As for how to handle his potential spraying, my only thought was also stud pants. They've come up from time to time here, so I did a search, and here are some threads that mention them.

Search Results for Query: stud pants

Sorry I don't have any other suggestions.

Oh, did another search and found this thread: Can't neuter my male
Not many replies, but thought you'd be interested to know you're not the only cat parent who's been in this situation.

They also had this thread, and considering you also have females, I'll post the link as well.
un fixed male trying to "get some" from fixed female