Tips to Help Aging Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can really relate to this. My first cat Tigger, I was told by my dad (who didn't know better) that cats didn't need major health care. And now I know a lot of the signs of illness we didn't understand / ignored. But I feel like we can be forgiven since it was the 80s / 90s and we didn't have the internet to check. Tigger died at home of kidney failure. We only knew at the very end as we went to the vet. I discovered her dead body by going in to kiss her on the bed of my dad only days later and picking up her head and feeling wet and how lite her head was... she died at 10. I was devastated.

I moved to grad school and got Boo Boo. Boo was a world traveling act, I got her in Michigan and brought her home and back to DC and back home. Boo lived with me for 8 years but, was given vaccines without my permission in the side of her torso and developed a large mass which eventually became a bleeding boil. I took her to the vet but they said it was cancer and not likely to be cured. She had to sit around with a cone on her neck and she was miserable. I put her down. But I could do it because I knew it was cancer.

Then I got Buckwheat. I vowed I was going to do everything possible to keep this one healthy and the internet was around... so I used it. I stopped feeding kibble.. and went to grain free wet food. And largely Buckwheat has made it to 15 (his birthday is coming up soon. But I have never had a cat last for 15 years before. Now my kitty is looking "off". He gets very lame about 1x per week. He often looks like he is not bright eyed and bushy tailed. He still eats fine, drinks fine, uses the litter box fine. But now I don't know when enough is enough. Another massive problem is that Buckwheat has become hysterical at the vet. He now cannot be seen by the vet. The vet even suggests that he not be seen because it just isn't worth it. Buckwheat hurts himself. So I cannot really have him examined.

Covid 19 has made it even harder. Most of Bucky's life I have been at work. Even when I got him as a kitten I only had two weeks off. He got used to me being gone all day. But covid-- he had an adjustment period. But that period has ultimately been great for both of us. I think we have bonded. He loves to feel safe and guarded while he sleeps and is more receptive to my petting and kissing him. When I worked outside the home I think he saw me as a roommate who was his feeding machine. Now I think he sees me as a friend who also happens to be his feeding machine. So for me it is difficult to consider putting him down. Maybe I will feel different when I go back to work and I see him for about 4 hours a day.

I always targeted 16 as the end date.. (maybe just random) and I think I am going to try for that.. but in the last 3 months I have really wondered if I am going to make it there.
Ah I'm sorry, that sounds like a very difficult situation. I assume you've already tried obvious solutions like sedating before a vet visit, and home vet visits? Would your vet be willing to work with you remotely / by video call, and just try to treat him based on symptoms only?

How frustrating - I hope there's something you can do. It's always hard when they go before their time :(

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah I'm sorry, that sounds like a very difficult situation. I assume you've already tried obvious solutions like sedating before a vet visit, and home vet visits? Would your vet be willing to work with you remotely / by video call, and just try to treat him based on symptoms only?
How frustrating - I hope there's something you can do. It's always hard when they go before their time :(
If I was ever able to come up with a solution I would have. I just don't see one. I have tried everything.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sure your vet checked for hyperthyroidism before, but make sure she is checked for that again. Losing weight/muscle mass, hair matting are all signs of H-T - even though they can also be signs of typically aging. Feeby was diagnosed last October. The hair matting could also be related to your girl's arthritis, as they have a tougher time 'getting to all the right places' for grooming.
I'm here with an update, and to give credit where credit is due!

She does indeed have hyperthyroidism. Thankfully, the numbers are not super high, and while she's lost muscle mass she hasn't lost weight over the past year (so likely has lost muscle weight and gained some fat weight.) The vet thinks we caught it early and that she's fairly confident she doesn't have masked kidney issues because her kidney values are so good (will see in a few months.)

I will be starting her on tablets today, and am really hopeful to see some reversal of the signs of "aging" I had been noticing in her. Her other values are great so once we get this under control, she should be in pretty good shape.

For the possible arthritis, she suggested increasing the Omega 3s and stopping the Glucosamine supplement (apparently, new research favours higher doses of fish oil as the superior treatment - though the Glucosamine isn't harmful.)

All things considered - good news!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
zoes zoes - Just keep on top of continual monitoring of the hyperthyroidism (H-T) and the related meds. It seems, even in early cases, vets want to 'overdose' a cat just to get the numbers to come down faster. It is recommended to have blood tests re-ran 3-4 weeks after the initial start of H-T meds, then again in another month, and if all is going well, again in 3 months. Thereafter, at least every 6 months. Dosage adjustments are not uncommon and that is why you do the re-testing so often.

I don't know what your cat's T4 level is, but when Feeby (16+ yo) first started her H-T journey her T-4 was only at 4.5 (Antech lab / range 0.8 - 4.0). The vet put her on 5.0 mg a day, which after talking with the feline H-T forum ([email protected] | Home ) said was way too high to start with (they recommend a dose of 1.25 mg twice a day). For one, the lower dosage allows your cat's body to adjust to the meds, and therefore results in less of a chance for side effects, and for 2, too much can cause an over reaction to the point of hypothyroidism - it is usually reversible if the meds are adjusted soon enough.

After 6-7 months, Feeby is now on 1.875 mg once a day, and 1.25 mg a second time a day. It has lowered her T-4 to a level that is much more reasonable, but not a low as it could be. However, the vet pointed out that there is a greater chance of opening the door to kidney issues, as the lower the T-4 goes, the blood flow to the kidneys is more restricted. In an otherwise healthy cat, this is not an issue, but one that is older, the restricted blood flow can start to cause compromise to the kidneys that was actually masked by the overproduction of hormones due to H-T.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
zoes zoes
I don't know what your cat's T4 level is, but when Feeby (16+ yo) first started her H-T journey her T-4 was only at 4.5 (Antech lab / range 0.8 - 4.0). The vet put her on 5.0 mg a day, which after talking with the feline H-T forum ([email protected] | Home ) said was way too high to start with (they recommend a dose of 1.25 mg twice a day). For one, the lower dosage allows your cat's body to adjust to the meds, and therefore results in less of a chance for side effects, and for 2, too much can cause an over reaction to the point of hypothyroidism - it is usually reversible if the meds are adjusted soon enough.
Thanks for all this! She has a follow up T4 test in 4 weeks.

The level my vet mentioned was 99.9 - I am not sure exactly what that means, obviously it is not the same measurements as what you quote. She says the standard is 40-50, and that 99.9 is high but as not high as they normally see in hyperthyroid cats (she says she usually sees 150+ when they test for suspect hyperthyroidism).

Her medication prescription is in fact 5mg per day (2.5 twice a day) of prednisolone. This seems to the universally recommended starting dose but I am not at all surprised by the possibility of it being higher than it needs to be. Tonight, for her first dose, I will take the liberty of halving her dose, and I will ask my vet tomorrow about reducing her dose and reassessing at her followup test.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Her medication prescription is in fact 5mg per day (2.5 twice a day) of prednisolone. This seems to the universally recommended starting dose but I am not at all surprised by the possibility of it being higher than it needs to be. Tonight, for her first dose, I will take the liberty of halving her dose, and I will ask my vet tomorrow about reducing her dose and reassessing at her followup test.
I know nothing about treating H-T with prednisolone. Prednisolone is a steroid. What is used here in the US (and other countries as well) is typically methimazole. Methimazole (Tapazole) for Cats: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects (thepetstep.com).

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise