Tips To Get Cats Eating Primal Frozen Raw?

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We found a store 45 minutes away that carries the frozen Primal pronto food for cats. We got the rabbit formula as we are still trying to figure out intolerances, but neither of my cats like it! They have been on a 90% wet diet now for about 3 months, with only a little dry for an overnight snack. They both love the Natures Variety canned rabbit, but the Primal raw they won't touch. I have tried tuna broth, warming it up, bonito flakes, smoothing it into a pate, and they even eat around the pieces when mixed with their canned food. We've been at it a week now which is the longest it's ever taken them to accept a new food (usually they are starting to take bites after a few days). I know a week isn't long but man do I hate tossing that food!

Any tips?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats used to eat a lot of Primal but they always preferred the freeze-dried food to the frozen. I initially mixed freeze-dried and frozen, but later moved on to freeze-dried only since it's more convenient and the cats love rehydrated freeze-dried food. They never liked Primal's frozen food on its own. They were the same way about Nature's Variety frozen raw food--close to total rejection--but love Rad Cat so the problem isn't with frozen food but with those two brands' frozen foods.

I, too, had to toss a bag of Primal Pronto... I'd wondered if maybe the cats would eat that form of Primal. But no!

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw it mentioned on one of the feeding site. Someone here said they couldn't get their cat to touch raw so they dipped their finger in it and put their finger in the cat's mouth. "Surprise you're trying raw!"

Light kibble dusting or the purina fortaflora is also listed as a way to help transition kitty.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw it mentioned on one of the feeding site. Someone here said they couldn't get their cat to touch raw so they dipped their finger in it and put their finger in the cat's mouth. "Surprise you're trying raw!"

Light kibble dusting or the purina fortaflora is also listed as a way to help transition kitty.
I was remembering that too, from some other thread. A couple people said they stuck a dab in the cat's mouth, the other waited for the cat to yawn. :crackup: In 2008, I had a cat who took 3 months to recognize raw as "food"....wish I had thought of that.

My kitten eats only raw, but sometimes just wants to nibble or graze too long. I've used tiny "cracklins" as toppers...seems to be her favorite appetite enhancer. (Cat cracklins: The solid bits which remain from minced unseasoned animal fat slowly melted in a non-stick pan until most of the fat is melted off, drained on paper towel, stored in the fridge.)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A sprinkle of crushed up freeze dried meat treats or freeze dried raw often works. Or try hiding small pieces of the frozen raw into stinky canned food, with a topper if needed.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You said it was Primal Pronto, which I believe is the bite size pieces rather than the nuggets. When you bought the package, were the pieces all separated, or frozen together in a lump? They may be freezer burned, or defrosted then refrozen during transit. Or, did you check the expiration date, i.e. was it an old bag that had been sitting in that freezer forever? That could be why your cats don't like it.

Why don't you get a trial size of the Primal freeze dried version of the same food, and transition your cats onto that? You can even crumble off a piece to fool them into thinking it's a treat, to get them started. After they're comfortable with that, you can try the frozen food again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You said it was Primal Pronto, which I believe is the bite size pieces rather than the nuggets. When you bought the package, were the pieces all separated, or frozen together in a lump? They may be freezer burned, or defrosted then refrozen during transit. Or, did you check the expiration date, i.e. was it an old bag that had been sitting in that freezer forever? That could be why your cats don't like it.

Why don't you get a trial size of the Primal freeze dried version of the same food, and transition your cats onto that? You can even crumble off a piece to fool them into thinking it's a treat, to get them started. After they're comfortable with that, you can try the frozen food again.
Yes it's the bite sized pieces and the bag indeed was a lump. I checked expiration and its not until 01/2018 but I think you're right and it's freezer burnt :( we've never tried the freeze dried but I'll get some to try out too! I also have a bag of the frozen Stella & Chewy's rabbit to try but haven't opened it yet because of the Primal Pronto. Think I might work with the freeze dried first. At least that I can get online easily - the frozen is 45 minutes away or spendy shipping charges!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well tonight I put some kibble through the food processor to chop it up and added it to the primal pronto bites and Jasmine ate it right up! Lydia was hesitant but also gobbled some up about 20 minutes later when she realized I wasn't putting more food out yet (I've been picking up the raw food after 30 minutes and then giving them something else to eat if they aren't eating it). Good thing they love kibble I guess! I think I will still try some of the freeze dried though.