Tips please

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to take my mom's cat in(Coco Snap) due to her unexpected passing. I'm on day 5 of basecamp, site swapping, schedule meals, gifts/scent swaps.

I have been trying to get them eat on opposite sides of door upstairs, downstairs opposite ends with a screen in between at the kitchen. But they don't always eat maybe kind of kind of not. Yesterday I started feeding one at the top of stairs the other on bottom. My moms cat who usually throws a fit at her house of any sign of a cat ate all the food at the top stair watching my cat(Iris Mese Mau). Iris just stared. I'm guessing they are both reacting of the unknown. Today I tried a official intro, Coco makes unhappy mows you can say walks away comes back, Iris does nothing just sit and watch.

I never knew how my cat was with others until Friday when I tried 10sec intro through screen at kitchen I placed with a sheet. Iris low growled so I stopped Immediately.

My moms cat isn't spayed will be very soon should of been long ago. Never pregnant.

I'm sure I've left out some details, how often should I try intro. I tried today my cat didn't do anything except when Coco walked away before a hiss and I guess made Iris confused upset something. Of all the reading over the years, videos Jackson Galaxy etc. I find myself with questions. How often should I try intro, I wouldn't say any went wrong just one or two cats unsure of unknown I'm guessing. After, I approach them with no problem. But these cats have always been little hisser fishers with attitude my cat is half Siamese half Egyptian Mau, my moms cat is short hair domestic tortie.

Site swaps have been done breakfast, lunch, dinner moms cat adjusted really fast, now is trying to dart out past basecamp, trying to dig her way out being in the camp for a hour drives both then nuts, they both want to raom and play. They both act like a lion in the cage in basecamp. At night I take turns who sleeps with me but both go crazy, ones trying to get out the other in. So I wake up give each a minute pet go back to bed and hope. They don't fight under door. Moms cat adjusted faster than I thought but those 2 were attached I'm sure she looking out the window wondering of her return as she did at her place.

If I leave my cat downstairs unattended she will destroy all my plants turn in to a hurricane just to get my attention, she did it since day one of I dont get up at hey wish.

Question/suggestions through them at me. How often should I try intro. Both cats walk with their tails high. Iris is 2 Coco 3 1/3. I've done cat intros before, this time I can use extra help. Please and Thank you.

My brain has a idea put both them in a harness connect it to something so they are 10 feet away. Logically I think that won't work, you guys agree it won't or maybe?

Cats won't just work it out. But for some reason should I let them interact in the intro and if it goes wrong put them away, wait, try again another day. I'm trying 100% to avoid a collision hiss argument. Trying to keep everything positive. Or am I interfering with nature too much. Of course if they fight break it up but for some reason sometimes part of the processes?

Last edited:

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,cats can really be territorial (even if both were spayed) I have three cats and some cats are more difficult than others.
First of all you must know this could take several months and you have to understand it in order to have a good relationship with both cats.
Maybe you should clicker train them,I’d recommend you to start with the most outgoing cat and do this three or four times a day,it’s important you do this close to the other cat but when they aren’t able to see each other.
The same procedure goes for the other cat.
If you want to have a friendly environment (especially at night) I would recommend you to buy Feliway Friends or Feliway Classic,the first one is for doing a proper introduction between the cats and the second one gives both cats a calm space.
Another tip is giving them two blankets so that they can impregnate it with their scent and then switch them until they get used to each other scent.
Good luck and never give up

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you are doing ok.

Did you say it has only been 5 days? In cat time, that isn't very long at all. I would def not try the harness thing.

The cats that I have fostered who have lost their owner have gone through a period of grieving, so Coco might be going through that.

Even if Coco isn't grieving, I would guess she needs much more time to adjust to her new home.

I would just keep them in separate areas and not attempt any introductions/space swaps for maybe a month.

If you have a larger space, two cats who aren't best friends can co-exist peacefully, but they are so young that they might befriend each other eventually! This whole process takes a lot of time though, so I would just slow way down. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How I'm doing about my mom is.......I got these cats to focus on. I should of express 5 days is nothing. I've swaps blankets they sleep on. I need knowledge might of went overboard.(with my moms health/past she did he best with coco but aggression with other cars probably could of been fixed at as a baby).

Knowledge is power so I did. My cat was not aggressive as coco cleaned. Then both just walked away. Before they got that close, I put a screen up in kitchen and they ate in front of each other. I'm wondering if they aren't really mean just scared action etc
20210815_101733.jpg

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say that's a lot of progress in just a few days! I would just give them lots of time and space. Make sure you have extra litter boxes (you should have at least three, and not all next to each other) just so litter box use doesn't become an issue.

I hear you:( It's nice to have a project during these times :(

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it wasn't for these cats I'll be losing my mind or whats left. I have 3 boxes, 1 for Iris, 2 for Coco 1 is still Iris the other a old one, upstairs and down, definitely apart. Coco first night used Iris litter box no problem and Iris used after no problem 10 min apart. Box sharing isn't a problem. I though Coco would of been fuming from. What I've seen at mom's house with the outside cats pass as she in window. I know time time with a whole lot of patience. Letting everyone know the situation for insight tips etc. One day at a time on their time.

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's so great! They are beautiful cats:) Maybe they are secretly enjoying each other's company!

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm wondering cause right now Coco is under the couch cushion, we're playing(cave as back at mom's house) Iris is eating in kitchen 20.feet away both downstairs. But I'm pretty sure Coco is grieving.

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ideas on this one is next to me the other 6-7 feet away. Both relaxing/napping. When I leave, Coco will go back to bascamp as it's her turn.
20210815_111029.jpg
20210815_111035.jpg

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Correction there a 3 litter boxes. They have no problem sharing all of them. I think im going to continue this excersie of all of us in living room everyday(No wanted behavior that tells me no). Until change happens good or bad.

Coco blinked at Iris(I'm more than surprised). But Iris didn't blink back as she does to me. When then were across from each other.

I never thought it would be this far for a billion dollars. Maybe I took a risk and it will pay off in time. Maybe them smelling each other on me every/other day since last February went I went over and came home is helping.

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's about all it's been they can walk past each other with out going after one another, but still the usual vocals. I'm going to keep it where it's at from now until they progress on there own.

Coco literally hurried right by Iris to go down stairs Iris did not chase surprisingly. I think my main problem is Coco attitude with other cats (not as bad as I thought it would be or seen at moms). Iris is just a strong independent full of attitude that's not anger directed to other cats.

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't edit? Wrong spelling bugs me......

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't believe these 2 touch nose or came a centimeter apart today. Coco smelling Iris on me a year and half had to help and likewise. She violently hated cats at moms. Basecamp is still active when I can't supervise. I thought I would be this far maybe weeks from now. This is still fresh and early only time will tell I just hope it stays on this side.

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's so close! Sounds like it's going really well:)

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This was just once, the first time.. I need this to happen until it's a everyday thing like we blink are eyes. I'm only a week or so in, but speechless. I hope this is a sign of the future. I still need Coco to fully adjust and etc etc. But this far im...........

Last edited:

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm speechless this is this far. Wish mom could see this
20210820_091414.jpg

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still can't believe the progress. When I leave, go to bed, I keep them separate but for the most part when I'm home they wonder around each other. When one gets the friskies its a chain reaction, when the excitement starts to overdue stuff I have to tell them to knock it off.
20210829_123028.jpg
20210829_125208.jpg

Last edited:

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well basecamp is closed. I have these 2 tigers living/dwelling amongst each other. I thought I wouldn't be this fast, but. I leave th together when I leave etc. When I'm home they like to get overly playful, then I walk in the middle, actually I'm not scared of cats claws etc, but they really never had intentions to kill from the beginning. From what I seen before I thought I would be another story(I believe they know better being around this lion/me). The other day I woke up with both them in the room waiting/lounging for me to get up, not the usual tornado, hurricane, earthquake. They really are enjoying each other's company.

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
What great news:) They look so happy together!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your mom’s cat has been through quite a shock & is grieving. I would let the cat be in it’s room for a couple of weeks or until the cat starts showing interest in getting out.
Then I would lick your other cats up in another room and let your mom’s cat explore the house for 12 hours a day for at least another couple of weeks.

Then I would try scent swapping, site swapping where the cats get a chance to enter each other’s room, feeding on opposite sides of a door etc.

Also if your mom’s cat is a senior cat, expect it to be a very slow process! Senior cats hate change!

I’m so sorry for your loss! Maybe try telling her how much you miss your mom & you know she misses her to?