Tips On Trapping A Wily Feral???

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had a family of four feral kitties coming to my back yard to eat since the end of August. I was able to trap the two kittens (about 5 months old or so), and also caught the dad. Kittens received their medicals and a forever home (with me). Dad was very, very feral so I cared for him after his medical then released him per my TNR contract with the humane society.

Trapping mom is proving to be very, very difficult. She has actually been inside the trap without setting it off and just backed out. Lately she's been laying on the patio right next to the trap without going in. I did try covering the top and sides (not the back, I know they have to see through) to no avail.

I am getting desperate because I know now is second litter time, but also because on Sunday she was hunting in our back yard and has some kind of injury to her front left leg such that she's not using it and just holding it curled up.

Trap is loaded with fresh stinky wet food, a sardine, and a raw chicken liver (local organic) each evening before the time range when they always turn up.

I would welcome any suggestions from experienced feral kitty trappers!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm...that looks promising. I think she'd go in that if I put her usual food bowl inside. What makes them trigger (i.e. do I need to be watching the trap and pull something)? Sometimes she shows up too late at night for me to be attending the trap.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes she shows up too late at night for me to be attending the trap.
She can feed in the unsprung trap for weeks...you only have to be there one single time while she’s eating to catch her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds good! Thank you, I will check into getting one!

FWIW, Karen (the name I've given kitty) not only gave me a big old "screw you" last night, but then on top of it she sent her friend Pepe!:flail: No harm, no foul though. Pepe was safely (for both of us) released. Thanks, YouTube.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Kentucky Friend Chicken is the thing that worked for me last summer. When I could not get that exact brand, store bought frozen fried chicken also worked, probably better than anything that I have ever use.