tips on how to maintain traps?

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that my trap has a lot of rust on it.. It's because I leave it outside. I know that is not good but I can't bring it in due tohaving a very small basement apartment with almost non-existant storage spaces and the smell is something else..

I am going to clean the trap next weekend then figure out a way to storage it away from the weather.. I was thinking either put it in the trunk of the car (will it smell??) or buy one of those big plastic bins and store it in that bin outside (will the bin weather well outside?)..

I was thinking of using comet and water to scrub the trap but what can I use to remove the rust??

Open to ideas/tips on this.. (also any advice about storage ideas are welcome!)

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Pamela...I can certainly pose your question to someone who frequents our monthly feral cat clinic. I'll let you know what her suggestions are.

Katie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wash my traps with just hot water and vinegar after they have been used. Then I spray them down with WD-40 and let them air dry in the sun for days. Then I stack them in the corner near the garage. I also check the mechanism of the trigger of each one and make adjustments as needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will hot water and vinegar remove the rust?

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how to remove the rust except for scrubbing and scraping, but I can tell you the big rubbermaid tote bins weather wonderfully outdoors. I use them to store my pool supplies next to the pool year round. We also use them to store out props and costume pieces in outdoor sheds and have never had a problem with them cracking. Nor do the mice get into them.

houseofcats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We clean ours with bleach and water in a large tub from Home Depot.
Water\t Bleach
1 gallon \t4 1/2 oz.
2 gallons\t 8 3/4 oz.
3 gallons\t 13 oz.
4 gallons\t 17 1/4 oz.
5 gallons\t 21 1/2 oz.

Wash the towels or sheets that were used as trap covers. Use bleach. Bleach disinfects for any transmittable diseases.

We store outside also, so once a year we prime and repaint them. We also grease and clean the trap doors frequently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THANKS u guys for the tips!! I really appreciate all of the tips. I will try the cleaning agents u've suggested, HouseofCats and Hissy.Let's hope it will remove the rust..Hissy, u said u spray WD-40 on the trap? This might be a stupid question but what does WD-40 do for the trap?

I'm not sure how to remove the rust except for scrubbing and scraping, but I can tell you the big rubbermaid tote bins weather wonderfully outdoors.
Would it be possible for u to post a pic of the tote bin u have so I could have an idea of what to look for? I've looked at many various tote bins but am not sure which to buy..

dumac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pamela,
the only way to get rid of rust is with elbow grease---use steel wool or a brillo pad and rub it off..or go to Lowe's /Home Depot and buy a rust remover (Rustoleum is a good brand)..follow the instructions--usually if the rust is not too deep, you can just paint on the remover, wait and then rinse it off...be sure you get all the chemicals off before you use the trap, though...
Good luck!!!