tips on e-collar/cone management and eating

ginamarina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my Mia needs a second surgery on her chin. She had an adenocarcinoma on her little chin removed in December, but our vet didn’t get clean edges. After a CT scan at the oncology clinic in Madison last week, we’ve decided to bring her back to get scar-revision surgery to excise the edges that weren’t properly before. It is near her lip, a really tough spot to be working on. The oncologist recommends that their oral surgeon do it. I’m a mess, but I’m trying to think ahead to this being finished.

I could use suggestions on post-surgery feeding and dealing with the stupid cone. She absolutely hated it last month, and I ended up leaving it off whenever I was around, and eventually using a mostly deflated inner-tube type cone alternative on her when I slept. She just had a few stitches, so as long as I caught her right away it wasn't a huge deal to go without. And the minor rubbing of her chin against the inner tube thing during the last few days didn‘t cause a problem. They will probably use tissue from her neck to patch her chin after the upcoming surgery, so we’ll need to be much more careful.
The cone being used to protect her face is kind of the opposite of what others are needing it for, so unfortunately a bodysuit or other type of bandage won’t work. I don’t know yet how they‘ll send her home. I’m awaiting their call now to make the appointment ASAP. Meanwhile I want to get everything we’ll need so we’re not caught off guard.

For sure I want to buy or make something for her food and water. She couldn’t make anything work last month, and she’s already a skinny lady, so she needs to keep her eating regular. I found 1 thing on instructables to make a dish stand ( Cone Friendly Pet Eating Dish Stand ) and I‘d love any other ideas.

If anyone has any creative ideas for protecting her chin, please do share. Usually I’m pretty creative, but I just haven’t been able to come up with anything.

thank you so much ❤

Mia’s worried momma, Gina

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista had an ear surgery where they had to go up through her jaw to drain her middle ear. I was told to keep a soft cone on her for two weeks. But I took it off for meals because it was just collecting food bits. She was a messy eater. This was easy with her because she was on a feeding schedule. I don't know what I would have done if she was a free feeder. I also left the collar off when I could 100% supervise her. That was shutting her in the office with me so she couldn't get out of my sight. She was also on activity restriction. So the alternative when I couldn't supervise her was to put the cone back on and place her in a pen (so she couldn't run, jump, climb, or any of the other forbidden activities.)

Cats wounds heal quickly. I only managed the cone with her for a week and left it off her the second week. She was still on activity restriction for the second week though. So I was still able to supervise her for large chunks of my day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginamarina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. Also, have you seen this type of cone? (sorry, couldn't paste the image for some reason)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085NSY682/?tag=thecatsite
I wonder how abrasive one of these would be on her chin. I’m thinking if it’s smooth enough it may be ok. Or maybe after a couple days, depending if the area is kind of raw or not. I sure wish it was a spot that could have a bandage. I’ll inquire with one of their vet techs and see if they have any advice. I’ve got to come up with a pedestal yet too.

They sent the paperwork today. I’m having so much trouble with all of this. :(. Mia seems fine, has been the whole time. I just found the bump last month and she has no idea why all this is happening. I wish I could explain why I’m making her *more* uncomfortable to prevent this from getting worse. Anesthesia scares the hell out of me too :(

thank you both for your input