Tips needed for introducing dog to cats.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well on Friday my first foster dog will be coming home. He is an 8 year old mix breed. He has Rotti in him so he is a big dog, but he has been around cats and "loves" his current cat friend. So any tips anyone has on how to make this work would be great. I put a baby gate up last night on the door of the cat room (that is the room I keepthier food, water and litter).

mariadsouza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is this your daschund aggressive toward other dogs? Is it just not know how to interact properly with them? Your Dasch ever bitten another dog, or is it just bark and posture?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just take it slow and never leave the dog unsupervised with your cats.
Pics would be nice when you get him. I love Rotties!
Is the baby gate tall or short? If it's short you may want to get one that is tall, Rotties can jump over anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duke has been with us almost 2 weeks now. Things are going great. He is a well behaved dog & very good with the cats. They have gotten a few good swats in, and he just walks away. I have to get some photos. He's 10 years old & well over 100 pound so they were very afraid of him. They now have no problem being in the same room with him. I have a tall pet gate in the hall & keep it up far enough off the floor for them to go under, but he can't get under. He's not a good jumper either because of his age & a bad hip.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey, that's great news (I remember your first post about wondering whether your cats would be okay with a dog in the house)!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great.. Pictures please!
I had a Rottweiler mix for 10 and a half years and she was the best dog I have ever had besides my lab, Rocky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We hit a little bump in the road this weekend. Duke got a little over excited about being let out & kind of tripped over one of the cats. Now every time he walks around a little too fast Jordan (not even the cat he tripped over) attacks him. I'm not sure exactly what to do to make it better. Duke has been tollerant, but I'm afraid 1 too many smacks to the nose may push him over the edge.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest that you separate them until the cats chill out from that experience with him. While our cats love dogs, for some reason, they hate my neighbor's dog (also named Duke, he comes into our house for visits). When the cats started whacking him (that's how they train dogs around here), he did turn on them and nipped at them. We've banned Duke's visits until he gets a little older and calms down (he's 120 pounds at a year old).