Tips Needed!! Adoption At Risk Of Failing

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:frustrated: The kitten Gracie is about 11 weeks old. She was pulled from her feral colony at about 3 weeks old, weaned and litter box trained by an experienced foster then transferred with her 2 other siblings to my friend who officially adopted the siblings and kept Gracie for tha past 7+ weeks. This was the situation this morning - any tips or ideas on how to help Gracie adjust?
20190720_120924.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! So, the person adopted the two siblings and is only fostering Gracie? If this is correct, my first impression is that your friend has never really put out much of an effort to integrate Gracie if she wasn't intending to keep her, and the effects of that are showing in Gracie's behavior. The attached note you shared also gave me that same impression.

If I am wrong, please accept my apology and provide more details so that the situation can be better understood.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kinda agree, sounds like for some reason she doesn't like Gracie... Cinderella.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for the confusion - Gracie was fostered, along with her siblings, by person A.
Person B has adopted Gracie for her little girl and it is her note that I posted. They had just adopted an older kitten for the teen daughter; it's an excellent home - the family's other cats lived to their 20s; I was on cloud 9 when this family was looking for a kitten - it's an incredibly awesome placement if we can make it work.

Gracie was doing well at the meet & greet at Person B's office, playing with the little girl until randomly, she spooked and scratched the little girl. Person A's original cat used to do that same behavior (the original cat died in December & that is why Person A was able to adopt Gracie's sibs and foster Gracie) - suddenly lashing out.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could explain about cats getting over stimulated both physically and mentally and watching for when to back off. Or suggest the kid
just cut the play sessions really short, stopping when kit still wants to play. AND, of course the old favorite of mine, when the cat
attacks hiss at her. Explain this is cat speak. Kids love being able to speak to cats in their own language and they love hissing, which has been known to include spitting.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the clarification!! It does sound like the little girl might unknowingly be a bit more than the kitten can handle, just yet - especially being so new to the family and the home. I am sure it is all overwhelming too that Gracie lost her playmates - and everything else she had grown comfortable with.

Any clues in these articles that Person B might be able to recognize as part of the triggers? The last one talks about interactions between kittens/cats and children.

Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist

Why Do Cats Attack?

Should I Get A Kitten As A Gift For My Kids?