tips for dieting ... would like some suggestions

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Eating smaller portions is a great idea but also eating them throughout the day helps, e.g. instead of 3 big meals per day you can eat 5 or 6 small meals. Some of the meals can consist of veggies as you mentioned along with fresh fruit. There is a plethora of information on the internet and you can check which sites would be right for you. Some people count calories, others look at protein, carbs, fats and sugar. You might even want to meet with a nutritionist or dietician for advice. Exercise along with diet helps too and it doesn't necessarily mean strenuous exercise. Daily walks for even 15 minutes 4 or 5 times a week are not only good physically but mentally too. You can also do yoga on-line or any number of other forms of exercise. Good luck! :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
neely neely thank you hun for replying to my thread ... i am trying as best as i can ... this is a new thing to me

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The important thing to remember is, "don't give up." I know you can do it. :thumbsup: Everyone has a minor setback especially at the holidays, birthdays, etc. but that's okay, just keep working at it.

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never needed to diet, but I do know how to put on weight! When I drink soft drinks: coke, bitter lemon, anything - even diet coke - I will immediately put on a few inches aound my waist.
So leave out all sweet drinks. I learnt this when I was regularly being treated to business lunches and dinners and was worried about drinking too much alcohol. I switched to soft drinks but soon had to consider buying new clothes. I fortunately do not have a sweet tooth so leaving out sweet drinks is not a problem for me. But I do feel sorry for people on a diet - eating healthily but still drinking diet coke and wondering why they are not losing weight. Exercise helps too - in my case drastically. This summer I started attending the gym after a 2 year break, and have unintentionally lost over 10 pounds and I was already underweight.

So, take it slowly, cut out the cokes and soft drinks, do some exercise, eat sensibly but still allow yourself some treats. Don't expect too much too soon. And, as neely neely said, don't give up. But please be kind to yourself.

strider rose

Top Cat
Purraise
I have never needed to diet, but I do know how to put on weight! When I drink soft drinks: coke, bitter lemon, anything - even diet coke - I will immediately put on a few inches aound my waist.
So leave out all sweet drinks. I learnt this when I was regularly being treated to business lunches and dinners and was worried about drinking too much alcohol. I switched to soft drinks but soon had to consider buying new clothes. I fortunately do not have a sweet tooth so leaving out sweet drinks is not a problem for me. But I do feel sorry for people on a diet - eating healthily but still drinking diet coke and wondering why they are not losing weight. Exercise helps too - in my case drastically. This summer I started attending the gym after a 2 year break, and have unintentionally lost over 10 pounds and I was already underweight.

So, take it slowly, cut out the cokes and soft drinks, do some exercise, eat sensibly but still allow yourself some treats. Don't expect too much too soon. And, as neely neely said, don't give up. But please be kind to yourself.
gilmargl gilmargl i have one soda a day or less now , im not going to rush anything just one day at a time ... i started it 3 days ago so i know it will take some time

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not rushing it is a good thing because you want it to be sustainable. I think cutting back on pop and juice and drinking more water will help a lot. It's amazing how many empty calories we get from beverages.

Protein is supposed to fill you up more than carbs - things like meat, beans, and eggs.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really like Mark Sissons approach. He recommends eating 80% of your diet as whole, low to lower carb foods, and the other 20% for sensible indulgences. He also recommends moving around at a slow pace, doing short sprints, and doing some heavy lifting and NOT counting calories. He talks a lot about a keto/carnivore approach, but the basic "primal" information IMO is very good. His website is marksdailyapple.com if you think it would interest you. When I watched Dr. Lustig's lecture about sugar, I quit drinking soda completely and drastically reduced my sugar intake. It's called Sugar, the Bitter Truth and can be found on Youtube.
Thing is, it has to be sustainable for you over the long haul. I can't with counting calories, calculating my BMR, counting how many calories I've burned, and doing the math every day, etc. It's exhausting, boring, it takes over my life, and IMO there's much more to it than CICO. But for some people, that creates a sense of self discipline and accountability and it's something they actively enjoy doing. Finding the best approach can take some trial and error but when you find what works for you, you're just going to know.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use my slow cooker a lot. Just made chili with ground turkey,zucchini, red pepper,carrot,beans,can rotel tomatos,diced tomatos,broth,and oregano.yummy!
My workouts are not cardio or with dumbells. Only body weight training and yoga. For breakfast sometimes I make smoothie with my ninja mixer-bannanas,strawberries,yogurt. The fruit I cut up and freeze. It will take hard work but I have faith in you!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
well so far tonite i had a lean cuisine meal and snacked on some carrots and bell peppers
Sounds good. I always check how much sugar and carbs are in it. Unfortunately, I just bought some without checking the nutrition and it has a lot of sugar!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots and lots of great suggestions given. My take on things is it depends a lot of your mindset and personality. Psychologically for me is to not even call it dieting, but changing my eating habits. Also, making small changes over a period of time as if you cut yourself out of things cold turkey you are likely to fall back into bad eating habits. If you are craving something sweet, then have a small amount unless it causes you to want more. There are sites such as MyFitnessPal to where you record everything you eat and your exercise. Eat nutrient dense foods and probably best to stay away from premade meals such as Lean Cusine as the sodium content is exceptionally high. Best of luck to you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have health issues and/or are on medications, it's possible one or both could make it harder to lose weight, or even cause weight gain. So keep that in mind, and maybe talk with your doctor, if either applies.

Meanwhile, here's a website with some info on the topic:
ExRx.net : Conditions and Medications That Make Weight Loss Difficult

strider rose

Top Cat
Purraise
CatladyJan CatladyJan i dont cook home made meals , i dont know how to cook so this was my only option along with fresh veggies and yogurt as a healthy snack

rubysmama rubysmama yes i have crohns disease and i am on several medicines for bipolar and a few other conditions that i have