Tips For Cleaning Under Nails?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there some nifty gadget or technique that makes it easier to clean under a cat's nails, especially that tiny junction where the nails and nail beds meet?

One of my cats has a tendency to get clumping litter stuck under his nails when his feet get wet while peeing or covering up a clump of of urine. The tops and the sides of the nails come clean pretty easily with a hypo-allergenic baby wipe or a small wad of gauze dipped in a diluted shampoo mixture. But I can never get the underside of the nail completely clean, and since he's a lazy groomer, he's not much help there. ;-)

I've tried soaking his feet for as long as he'll let me to soften the dried litter debris, and then gently scrubbing it with the edge of a washcloth or a baby wipe, a child's toothbrush, and disposable make-up applicators. My problem is always the same. I can't get whatever I'm using to fit within such a tight space and provide enough friction to rub away the litter that's caked on like cement.

Is there something obvious I'm overlooking? Or maybe a special hobbyist type brush, perhaps like a miniature bottle brush? Halp! :-)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try a dental pick or interdental brush. The interdental ones are basically a little wire brush so you can scrub kind of firmly with it. The dental picks are just flexible rubber so might not work too well.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of people using a dremel to file their cats claws but I wouldn't use it close to the cuticle unless you could find a sponge type attachment.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use a toothbrush. Med to firm should do it. I actually use one to brush my kittens also. (not the same one, of course)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a dental pick or interdental brush. The interdental ones are basically a little wire brush so you can scrub kind of firmly with it. The dental picks are just flexible rubber so might not work too well.
Oh, the interdental brush looks perfect! Thanks a million! :D

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of people using a dremel to file their cats claws but I wouldn't use it close to the cuticle unless you could find a sponge type attachment.
Oh, my! The way Buddy wiggles in my lap, there's no telling what I'd accidentally grind off. Fortunately, the vet has already taken care of the important stuff. ;-)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use a toothbrush. Med to firm should do it. I actually use one to brush my kittens also. (not the same one, of course)
I've tried using various kinds of toothbrushes, sizes, etc., but I just can't get the bristles to reach exactly where I need them. Or maybe I could if I wasn't trying to clean such a moving target. :)