Tips For Cats The Pee Very High

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Jem Jem - Yeah, I tried to get that one but can't since I am in the US. Just out of curiosity, how strong is it - I mean is it thin plastic or more like 'standard litter boxes'?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner - It's a bit thinner plastic than a "real" litter box, but it held up really well, for us anyway.
And to be honest, I haven't purchased or even looked at a "real" litter box in so long, I don't really have much to compare it to.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I would prefer it be not transparent, but I suppose that is asking for too much. Feeby has gone from a covered box, to just the bottom without problems, but it is not see-through. Not sure if that would make a difference for her.

And, since she just gets in the opening and stands there to pee, regardless of where I cut the hole, she'll probably just do the same thing. I'm just hoping since it is bigger than what she has now, she might actually move around in it before peeing.

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
Does this bin have a smooth interior bottom? I haven’t been able to find a smooth-bottomed one that’s taller than about 12 inches and that’s not quite high enough for the shelter kitty who stands up to pee.

Regarding the ridges on the bottom, if you keep the litter deep enough so the pee doesn’t reach the bottom, it becomes less of an issue. I can’t get the shelter to understand that so it makes scooping of the DIY boxes a real chore.
It's not completely flat but it's not those super deep awkward ridges, and I haven't had trouble keeping it clean. It's a sterilite, but I'm not sure which one...I got it at Walmart. I scoop them daily, change the litter completely weekly, and scrub them out every 2 to 3 weeks. Every 6 months or so, I buy new totes and throw the old ones out.

I put about 3 or 4 inches of litter in, but my boys like to scoop a deep hole so they end up peeing on the bottom :lol:

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
To everyone looking online, I suggest just going in person to Walmart. That way you can see the dimensions as well as how easy it is to clean. I rarely find the same one when I replace mine, but Walmart always has something useable. I have a 13 lb cat and haven't had trouble finding one he fits in.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To everyone looking online, I suggest just going in person to Walmart. That way you can see the dimensions as well as how easy it is to clean. I rarely find the same one when I replace mine, but Walmart always has something useable. I have a 13 lb cat and haven't had trouble finding one he fits in.
Haven't found anything at the Walmarts near me.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had the biggest commercial box I could find. Trust me, I spent hours researching dimensions, and Tommy still sprayed over the top. He's a big boned medium guy, and I just walk down the storage tote aisle at Walmart and make sure I pick something that comes up to my knee and easy to clean. My boyfriend carves an entrance out of the front that is low enough for our arthritic tortie, and we never use a lid.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used a clear one at first, (cut the opening into it) for my cat, Little Bean, who was suddenly, a no-squatter when peeing! But, I eventually changed it out to a regular blue plastic tote and cut the opening into it also. **** I found by using a hairdryer on "warm" air, blowing it onto the plastic sides of the tote, it softened the plastic enough to cut through it without it cracking.**** It made it substantially easier to cut through!!! I noticed a poster talking about their cat having difficulty getting in/out of the litter box. At the shelter where I volunteer, we have a Senior Cat with arthritis. A wooden block was placed outside the litter box, and is cut into a "steps" formation. So, he can climb up higher to get inside. When done, he can get out of the litter box easier. BUT, I believe a wedge could be cut, to resemble a ramp, for them to climb up easily and get out easily!!! Just a thought on it all...…. And hope these tips help! ;)
I know I read on these forums, someone posted they had a senior cat and they covered some old big books with heavy-weight plastic and made them to look like steps, placed next to the litter box. This helped the senior cat get in/out of the litter box much more easily! Great idea! ;)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I used a clear one at first, (cut the opening into it) for my cat, Little Bean, who was suddenly, a no-squatter when peeing! But, I eventually changed it out to a regular blue plastic tote and cut the opening into it also. **** I found by using a hairdryer on "warm" air, blowing it onto the plastic sides of the tote, it softened the plastic enough to cut through it without it cracking.**** It made it substantially easier to cut through!!! I noticed a poster talking about their cat having difficulty getting in/out of the litter box. At the shelter where I volunteer, we have a Senior Cat with arthritis. A wooden block was placed outside the litter box, and is cut into a "steps" formation. So, he can climb up higher to get inside. When done, he can get out of the litter box easier. BUT, I believe a wedge could be cut, to resemble a ramp, for them to climb up easily and get out easily!!! Just a thought on it all...…. And hope these tips help! ;)
I know I read on these forums, someone posted they had a senior cat and they covered some old big books with heavy-weight plastic and made them to look like steps, placed next to the litter box. This helped the senior cat get in/out of the litter box much more easily! Great idea! ;)
Great suggestions! I’m definitely trying the hair dryer trick next time I make a box for the place where I volunteer.

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, here is the tote I use. You can only buy it as a 6-pack now, but it's the best I have found so far so I think it's worth it. I replace the three of ours a few times a year, anyway, so the "bulk" order works for us. And it's not transparent, which is a plus for me right now as one is out in our living area...although I am planning to build cute wooden boxes to put them in so transparencey won't always be an issue.

Sterilite 30 Gallon Plastic Storage Tote, Blue Aquarium (6 Pack) | 17364306

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a great site that I found to help my elevator butt peeing cat. BETTER LITTER BOX -- CATS ADORED

I found that using either the 30.5 Lx 20.25w x 17 h or the 32.5 L x 19.25w x 18 H both Sterilite work the best.

My elevator butt peeing cat does well with this box. On occasion he does elevator butt pee out the opening. Yet I have pee pads there and it's usually just a small amount. I have seen the sterilite boxes used where you use the lid and cut a hole in the top. This would totally keep the pee inside the box!

I tried some of the high sided boxes from Petco and he peed right out over the top.

Here is my set up.
IMG_0677.JPG

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one that big at the container store. It does work great. Forget about those high rise boxes

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I got one that big at the container store. It does work great. Forget about those high rise boxes
I tried to find it and it didn't seem like the sides were high enough. Can you post the link?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absolutely amazing. Thank you all so much! This has been the best help I could have asked for, truly an amazing site for helping others.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found an easy cheap solution using any litter box when one of my boys started peeing standing up. I buy those thin, flexible, plastic 'cutting boards'that come in a roll and various covers. Then I duct tape them to the inside of the box, along the back top edge, bringing them about two inches down the back of the litter box and letting the top stick up past the back. Since they are flexible they mold around the back and the sides a little ways. If your box is big you can put them on the back corner they pee on, they always seem to have a preference. These can stick up about a foot taller then the box and worked very well. They are very cheap too, you can often find them on sale or at the Dollar Store, so they can be replaced when the tape gets nasty every few months. They sure solved my problem.