Tips for apartment cats!

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! Up until soon, I've been living with my parents as I'm only 18. Well, they're moving to the countryside and I'm staying so I'm currently seeking an apartment!
I've been looking around and I keep seeing some good options that fit my budget, but they're totally carpeted. With two VERY active male bengals, this is a little concerning. I can bring my own furnishing so I don't have to worry about that.
I'm just worried my kitties will do something to mess the apartment up. One of them has had some issues urinating outside of his box (not sure if he would on carpet- he only does it in dirty laundry and the dog bed) and the other likes to use his claws. I'm definitely a little nervous as this is my first time away from my family and there's so much I don't know about apartment upkeep, especially with cats. It's all a little scary and I wanna do things right!
Does anyone have tips? Behavioral/cleaning/anything really! Would love to hear from others who live an apartment life with their kitties!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a patio get a catio made for them. Cat trees help with scratching and bengals love to be up high so cat shelves are wonderful for them. You should have at least 2 litter boxes uncovered placed in different areas of the apartment. It might be a good idea to get your one bengal boy checked out for a UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have a patio get a catio made for them. Cat trees help with scratching and bengals love to be up high so cat shelves are wonderful for them. You should have at least 2 litter boxes uncovered placed in different areas of the apartment. It might be a good idea to get your one bengal boy checked out for a UTI.
Most of the ones I'm looking at have patios so that's a great idea!! I have a nice tall cat tree that they love but shelves are a good idea too- they'd go crazy over some fun shelves I think haha
I will get him checked! He's pretty young and he had started spraying right before his appointment to get neutered. He kept the habit it seems. Only sometimes though, and usually it's easy to clean up based on the spots he picks.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Shelves EVERYWHERE! With some space for jumping from one to another (Bengals LOVE to jump!). Get a GOOD enzymatic cleaner for any mishaps. And consider getting holster-type harnesses and leash training them for little cat walks!

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shelves EVERYWHERE! With some space for jumping from one to another (Bengals LOVE to jump!). Get a GOOD enzymatic cleaner for any mishaps. And consider getting holster-type harnesses and leash training them for little cat walks!
YES gotta look into the shelves!!
Do you have any cleaners you recommend? I'm sure I'll find one that works!
One of my boys loves walks already and the other one is working on learning haha, I don't know his past (he's a rehome situation) but outside makes him nervous. He's doing a lot better though, and we've reached a point where we can go outside for a little bit and he enjoys chasing the bugs! It's really sweet to see him opening up and gaining confidence.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Um...either Furballsmom Furballsmom or FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I think, have some good recommendations. Thankfully, I have a cat who is a fanatic about using her box. To the point that when I was sick with the flu, and couldn't even scoop for a week without passing out, she STILL USED THE BOX! Poor baby girl! SUCH a lady!

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Um...either Furballsmom Furballsmom or @feebysmom, I think, have some good recommendations. Thankfully, I have a cat who is a fanatic about using her box. To the point that when I was sick with the flu, and couldn't even scoop for a week without passing out, she STILL USED THE BOX! Poor baby girl! SUCH a lady!
aww what a good polite girl!!! <3

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be sure that you include a pet deposit in your budget. Almost all apartment complexes will require one. And most will also want to see proof from a vet that the animal has been desexed and has a current rabies vaccination.

Given that you've lived with your parents all your life, do you have any credit? If so do you know what your credit score is? Apartment complexes are notorious for taking money from people without doing much to prequalify them. Ask the leasing agent LOTS of questions before paying any application fees. Those fees are almost always nonrefundable in the even that you are denied. You'll want to know what kind of credit score they require; if they require rental history given that you've lived with your parents, and also what their income requirements are. In other words, how much do you have to make monthly to qualify.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many apartments don't allow structures to be placed on a patio or balcony so ask before signing the lease. A catio is most likely a no-no as is netting and fencing and other things to keep a cat from escaping / falling off.

Will your parents co-sign a lease with you? Are you financially able to live on your own with two cats to take care of?

rrrager

kitten wrangler
Young Cat
Purraise
seconding lavishsqualor lavishsqualor on the actual apartment itself. it's been a few years since i moved into my apartment but they'll usually want you to make 1.5 times the monthly rent -- at the very least. there are refundable pet deposits, nonrefundable, pet rent. i think when i brought Chansey with me, it was about $700 out of pocket for the deposits and i currently pay $25 for pet rent a month. i only have experience with signing my own lease, so co-signing is an unknown.

they say the deposits pay for carpet removal + sealing the floor beneath the carpet so that the next tenants start fresh. it's also very useful to rid the place of any pet dander or allergens. personally, i've given up on the deposits, oof. clawed up corners, fur everywhere, the works. also take pix of your place of everything so that you have photo evidence of what the place looked like when you got it, to prevent any unnecessary charges whenever you end your lease.

and be sure to ask about catios. i dont have one, but i have a cat flap that lets Chansey, the oldest, out onto my patio. i only trust her alone out there because she's been supervised in the beginning and i trust her behavior and habits, but that kind of freedom isnt for all cats. but, in case you do have the chance to create a catio, double check for pigeon or dove nests near your patio and ask to have them humanely removed. my complex never did, so we put up a sheer curtain to make them go around the patio, and it stops em from leaving hazardous bird droppings where the cats like to flop down.

sorry for being long winded!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of them has had some issues urinating outside of his box
After the vet check, you can try a litter called Cat Attract - some people just sprinkle it on the top of the regular litter to help with cost.
Since you have one that might spray you could try something like the poster in this link does;
I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

Try Nature's Miracle, Fizzion or SCOE10X for cleaning up, and you might want to get a black light and check around your new apartment. It will show old spots and could even highlight cleaned spots but may be helpful to try and stop him/them from getting ideas about needing to mark their new territory.

Something else that might help during the moving and after since they'll be needing to get used to other sounds and smells of animals elsewhere in the complex would be calming products and cat music.
There's spotify, Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
www.bachflower.com

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking.
foodpuzzlesforcats.com

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture – TheCatSite Articles

How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture – TheCatSite Articles

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles

Renting With A Cat? Find Out How To Keep Your Landlord Happy – TheCatSite Articles

And one more, even though your kitties aren't kittens;
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got two of my cats when I was living in a 400 square foot studio apartment and there wasn't a lot of space for them to feel like they had places to go. I asked my dad to build me a little bridge so my cats could cross from one side of the kitchen cabinets to the other. It worked out pretty well and they both loved it. I'd look into furniture "hacks" so your cats have higher spaces to roam.

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just be sure that you include a pet deposit in your budget. Almost all apartment complexes will require one. And most will also want to see proof from a vet that the animal has been desexed and has a current rabies vaccination.

Given that you've lived with your parents all your life, do you have any credit? If so do you know what your credit score is? Apartment complexes are notorious for taking money from people without doing much to prequalify them. Ask the leasing agent LOTS of questions before paying any application fees. Those fees are almost always nonrefundable in the even that you are denied. You'll want to know what kind of credit score they require; if they require rental history given that you've lived with your parents, and also what their income requirements are. In other words, how much do you have to make monthly to qualify.
I have a sizable amount of savings in mind for that! :) I've been working since I was early 17, as I graduated a year early. I don't like to spend too much so my savings ended up in a good place.
I don't have credit but I do know what a credit score is- this is very helpful info, thank you!

Many apartments don't allow structures to be placed on a patio or balcony so ask before signing the lease. A catio is most likely a no-no as is netting and fencing and other things to keep a cat from escaping / falling off.

Will your parents co-sign a lease with you? Are you financially able to live on your own with two cats to take care of?
Hmmm, I'll definitely ask before signing a lease.

They will not, though they may give me a little gift for the deposit (not because they need too, they just want to) ! I work full time and plan on being fully financially independent. I have paid for/done everything for the cats since I got them so I know what the budget is monthly for them and I've calculated carefully to make sure I still have enough to save for emergency vet bills, hospital bills, etc. :3

seconding lavishsqualor lavishsqualor on the actual apartment itself. it's been a few years since i moved into my apartment but they'll usually want you to make 1.5 times the monthly rent -- at the very least. there are refundable pet deposits, nonrefundable, pet rent. i think when i brought Chansey with me, it was about $700 out of pocket for the deposits and i currently pay $25 for pet rent a month. i only have experience with signing my own lease, so co-signing is an unknown.

they say the deposits pay for carpet removal + sealing the floor beneath the carpet so that the next tenants start fresh. it's also very useful to rid the place of any pet dander or allergens. personally, i've given up on the deposits, oof. clawed up corners, fur everywhere, the works. also take pix of your place of everything so that you have photo evidence of what the place looked like when you got it, to prevent any unnecessary charges whenever you end your lease.

and be sure to ask about catios. i dont have one, but i have a cat flap that lets Chansey, the oldest, out onto my patio. i only trust her alone out there because she's been supervised in the beginning and i trust her behavior and habits, but that kind of freedom isnt for all cats. but, in case you do have the chance to create a catio, double check for pigeon or dove nests near your patio and ask to have them humanely removed. my complex never did, so we put up a sheer curtain to make them go around the patio, and it stops em from leaving hazardous bird droppings where the cats like to flop down.

sorry for being long winded!
I like long winded posts don't be sorry! Thank you for this info! Yeah I might wanna give up on that deposit LOL! My cats are good boys but even good boys are still just cats! and they will act like cats haha
I will do that for sure.

Thank you!!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
🎉Congratulations on your new apartment.

I would suggest buying a black light and give the carpet a once over before you move in. Tell your landlord you will be doing this. The blacklight shows pee spots. Even if you have to pay for it; wash treat every spot with enzyme cleaner made for stains/spots that have set in carpet a long time. That way you are moving into a clean slate. Cat attract litter wouldn’t hurt when you first move in.

Bengals are very active cats that love to climb. So if you (or anyone you know) is handy I would make shelves that can support both cat’s weight (& are sturdy attached.) That way your apartment space is expanded..... & they get a jungle gym.

I have a hyper cat (that is probably calm compared to your bengals! If he gets his 2 hours outside every day he is a well behaved twerp. He gets 2-3 short walks and spends most of his outside time lounging around/ “hunting.” So if you cant build a catio, harness training may be a lifesaver. Luckily you have 2, so they can play with each other.

⭐I have a rainy day box for when he is stuck inside. The special interactive toys come out & he gets catty. Plus they have cat games on tablets if your kitty really likes it.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got married, a lifetime ago, we had no credit either. We built a good credit history by getting a very small loan and using that money we received to pay it off within two payments. then we got a credit card and just made small purchases with it and made sure to pay it off at the end of the month, putting the amount of each and every purchase to the side so we were able to. It's amazing how fast you can build your credit line, but remember, it's agonizingly slow to rebuild a bad one!

VoidIndigo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totally seconding a couple things from here... I live in a small place with one cat, and thought I could get away with one litter box... don't try it. Get a second one and watch them, you're probably going to have to move them around. If your little one is peeing outside the box and it's in a common place repeatedly, consider moving one box there. If you have two floors, consider one upstairs & one down. Working with them on that one will save you a lot of stress :)

Also, get the UTI check. I didn't know the signs and my little guy had to go through a LOT because I didn't get something checked when I should have seen the signs... Milo tends to pee on hard, smooth surfaces when he's in pain, I learned that the hard way. If they are going in odd places but there are similarities there, you might have a kitty in pain. It's totally worth the check for everyone's piece of mind.

Also, Milo doesn't like laying on rug textures (most cat trees are covered in rug) but he does like ripping them to shreds. He DOES like sleeping bags though... so covering things in interesting materials might give them more things to enjoy in a small space.

On the topic of stress reduction, I've been using feliway classic diffuser for a couple weeks now. I guess they are hit-or-miss but Milo seems to react well with it. Something else to think about, if they seem to be high-strung when you move in.

Best of luck to you & the family :)

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had three cats in a home for sale with white Berber wool carpets which took 3-4 hrs prepping before every showing .... 18 months it took to sell.
They loved scratching in the Berber and it had tight loops which was inviting. Now in the condo the carpeting is open weave cheapo nylon and they no longer ever use it as a scratchier ) I had lots of scratching posts etc in the old place but the berber was just too tempting for them.
Good luck! The couple here for six yrs had two cats with zero stains or damage!!! they got 100% of their deposit back from me for sure. Still cant believe how clean they were.

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to pop back in and apologize for not replying to everyone! I thoroughly read all your responses and I'm so grateful for you guys.
I found an awesome basement apartment, two bedrooms and vinyl planking throughout so no carpet to deal with (yay)! I moved in with the boys two days ago and they're doing great. Right now they're doing their nightly zoomies after meal time lol. It's a little scary and miss coming home to my family (we are very very close and I will miss them so deeply) but things are overall going well.
I had a bit of an emotional moment yesterday realizing that my closest people will be so far away and Remi came over and started purring and kneading biscuits on my chest. They are always so excited to see me when I get home from work. They help me realize that even though I will miss my human family, I have a little cat family always waiting for me. They are what makes it home to me and that's very comforting. I thank God every day for my beautiful boys <3
Thanks again everyone!