tips and tricks for liquid meds?

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
My feral kitten is refusing liquid medicine for giardia- I mean spitting it out if I manage to squirt it in her mouth. I've tried hiding it in treats, putting it on wet food and having her take it from my hand, even tried putting a little on her paw so she would lick it off, but she just flicked it off. I called my vet in a panic, and they said to try again with her wet food but I am worried she will start avoiding her food all together. I am honestly so stressed about her taking her medicine, I have wasted a few doses trying different ways to get her to eat it. I also wasn't sure if this was the best forum to post this in so apologies if it isn't.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Try canned tuna or chicken in water (human food), squirt the meds in a dish and add just enough of the canned juice to it so that you can make sure she laps it all up. Then, you can give her a bite of the chicken or tuna as a treat afterward. You could also try baby food meats (no onion, garlic, etc) and mix the meds with some of that.

Both of these approaches have worked for me. When I tried to syringe feed Feeby with one particular med, it tasted so bad to her that she foamed at the mouth. Once I used the above foods, she gladly ate it with no problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Try canned tuna or chicken in water (human food), squirt the meds in a dish and add just enough of the canned juice to it so that you can make sure she laps it all up. Then, you can give her a bite of the chicken or tuna as a treat afterward. You could also try baby food meats (no onion, garlic, etc) and mix the meds with some of that.

Both of these approaches have worked for me. When I tried to syringe feed Feeby with one particular med, it tasted so bad to her that she foamed at the mouth. Once I used the above foods, she gladly ate it with no problem.
Thank you! I am about the head to the store now! Cross your fingers for us, please!

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had the same worry, there are a good amount of YouTube videos on giving cat liquid medication. You should check some out! They all say to squirt in the back of the mouth due to a bad tasting medication can cause the cat to salivate

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my girls is on lifelong liquid medication. I've found the best trick is those creamy tube cat treats. I taste tested different flavours first to find the favourites, and they work like a charm.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using a dropper or a syringe to give it? I use a syringe and place it on the side as far back as I can to squirt it in, using care of course, not to cause the cat to strangle on the medicine. Fenbendazole is nasty stuff!