Tip Of Tail Fell Off

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth 6 weeks ago, the day after they were born I noticed one of the kittens had what looked like a ring around almost the middle of his tail. It looked as though some one had tried a string really tight around it to the point that it cut in, and it went right around in a perfect circle (There was nothing in the birthing pen that could have caused this). It looked superficial, but I kept checking it to make sure it was okay.
About 4 days later in the evening I noticed that the tip of the tail looked skinnier than it should have been. I called my vet first thing in the morning, but they couldn't squeeze us in until the end of the day.
Well I went to get him ready to take to the vet and saw something weird in the bed. Picked it up and it was the end of his tail, it had fallen off in a perfect circle leaving a piece of his tail bone exposed.
My vet was unsure of what could have caused it, but told me to keep a close eye for infection and that it might need to be amputated more.
It has since healed up beautifully, and he has full use of the remaining part of his tail. He is happy, healthy and thriving!
But I have no idea what could have caused it!

I have had a few referrals contact me, but I am not sure if I should keep him just in case there is more to it than just his tail.

Has any one ever heard of this happening or know what could have caused it? I had some one mention amniotic band syndrome, but I thought that that stunts the growth of a digit in the womb rather than having it fall off later.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guess he got the cord wrapped up. A leg wrapped up this way happens now and them so why not a tail?

Luck kittens usually do have some selfhealing ability.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And the leg falls off or it cuts off the circulation to the lower part of the leg?

I was there the whole time and didn't notice the umbilical cord wrapped around its tail, could it have happened in utero maybe?...