Tiny Siamese thinking of breeding

New to cats kid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a tiny 12th Siamese am thinking of breeding she is very small and I would like to breed a bigger cat breed to her so I can have a bigger barn cat I am afraid of my cats being small because her sister was eaten by an owl so I want big enough cats that they can be carried off I also can have very long haired cats because it is 100 degrees during our summers and advice

I also have a tiny brown tiger striped cat who is a friend they are both female

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi N New to cats kid Welcome to TCS.

You should know that we are a pro-spay and neuter site. We actively encourage people to get all of their pets spayed as soon as they are old enough. This is partly because of the health benefits cats enjoy once they are spayed or neutered, partly in an attempt to reduce the overwhelming number of cats and kittens that are euthanized every day in over crowded shelters because of a lack of loving homes and resources to care for them.

So no, please don't allow your cats to breed. Not only will you be adding to the number of cats in the world but you are putting their health at risk and potentially setting yourself up for some very expensive vet bills.

If you have the space and money to care for more cats please consider adopting. You could adopt a shelter cat or maybe provide a home for an adult barn cat.

Some places you could adopt from in your state.

Abandoned Pet Project – Working Together To Save Lives

PetSmart Ridgmar Mall | HSNT

Sponsor A Long Term Resident | Rude Ranch Animal Rescue

Barn Cats — TNR Texas

Some articles on why you should spay and neuter your cats.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks – TheCatSite Articles

Post-birth Complications In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Breeding Cats: What Cat Owners Need to Know – TheCatSite Articles

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I whole-heartedly agree with Norachan Norachan , plus your cat sounds too small to safely breed. Please re-think your plans. Breeding is not necessarily the safest or best way to go regardless of what you want to happen.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would agree, spay her and just adopt some barn cats from a local shelter or rescue. They have tons of feral cats who are fully vetted and just need care. Cost tends to ve quite cheap as well. You can save their lives :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

New to cats kid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the problem is we live 2 hours from a town now we have 5 barns 3 hay barns and 2 horse barns now my 1 cat is supposed to manage all of those I don think so so I can support a litter I have known barns with 4 barns in Montana and more cats I understand she is to small because she is 3-4 months old. Also I have problems with our town because we do not have a shelter, and the nearest big city is 3 hours away. As well I am having mice, rats, and creepy critters ransack my grain. I have adopted kittens before from the big cities shelters.

and other barn cats of our few neighbors are meaner than mountain lions biting rabies unneutered just a couple months (aka 5-6) ago i was setting a live bait humane trap for something that was gray and pinkish like a possum i caught a stray cat that had rabies was unneutered and was foaming and when i took him to our vet in town diagnosed him with rabies,fleas,ringworm and something else so other barn cats no option

because of the cats condition we had the vet euthanize him to end his suffering

so if i have 4-5 kittens plus my 2 then my reasoning is they will be safer correct me if im wrong

So I need to breed 1 of my 2 kittens either the white one or the tiger striped because we have non stop coyotes,cougars,mountain lions, snakes, hawks,buzzards,falcons,eagles,and feral dogs or other cats with diseases

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
and other barn cats of our few neighbors are meaner than mountain lions biting rabies unneutered
Who are you thinking of breeding your cat with? As soon as she gets to 5 or 6 months of age she is going to come into heat. These neighbours cats will smell this and come over to mate with her. If they're not neutered they are not vaccinated either, which means you are exposing your cat to FIV, FeLV, Feline Herpes, Feline Coronavirus and numerous other fatal contagious diseases.

Kittens born with these diseases will soon die and you will then have a sick cat to care for.
I can support a litter I have known barns with 4 barns in Montana and more cats I understand she is to small because she is 3-4 months old.
No cat should be bred at that age. You need to make sure she is at least a year old before you allow her to mate. That means you need to keep her indoors until she is fully grown.
vet in town diagnosed him with rabies,fleas,ringworm and something else
Are you seriously considering allowing a small, young, inexperienced cat to have a litter of kittens in your barn with all of that to contend with? Even if she doesn't get a fatal illness and lose all of her kittens to the same disease you are going to have to spend a fortune on getting all of these cats vaccinated once or twice a year to make sure they don't get sick too. Rats, snakes, racoons, and any bird larger than a crow will prey on kittens. Cougars and coyotes will take them as soon as they leave the barn.

You're setting yourself up for some very expensive vet bills and a lot of heartbreak when you have to watch the cats and kittens suffer like this.

Get your cat spayed. Get some barn cats.

Barn cat programs adopt out large adult cats that have already been neutered and vaccinated and know how to take care of themselves outside. Contact the barn cat programs in your area and ask if they can deliver the cats to your town or somewhere close by.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be aware that unspayed cats will have 2-3 litters a year, so unless you have a very high death rate (in which case I'd say to give up on keeping cats), you'll still end up with a whole lot of cats eventually. And, yeah, outdoor kittens have something like a 75% death rate even without rough conditions, so that can be heartbreaking for the humans and cruel to the cats.

If an unspayed female is outside, she'll get pregnant every time she comes into heat, and will attract males for miles. So those mean, diseased cats from other farms will come by even more, and the females are likely to suffer. Be sure they're all fully vaccinated or they could end up with rabies too (which is also a human health hazard).

If conditions are really that rough, it may be better to get a medium-sized tough rat dog (like a Jack Russell terrier or a pit mix) instead of barn cats. Just have pet kitties inside and let the dog patrol the barns.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A note.
If your barn cats are more or less isolated, and do breed, its a de facto inbreeding. And probably the cause why they are smallish. Inbreeding depression.

IF you by any reason want to breed on them, you must use an unrelated partner. Easiest with a male. This one doesnt even need to be biggish per definition.
Being unrealated and healthy, the childs will automatically become bigger...