Tiny pregnant cat

ValkyrieZyra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that is very pregnant. She was a friends but my friend moved and couldn't bring her. She's very sweet and affectionate and has taken a liking to me. I plan to get her fixed after her pregnancy as she is only barely a year and this is a lot for her to handle. I have never been through a birth of kittens and would like tips and advice as well as a roundabout time to expect her to go into labor. She looks like she swallowed a balloon and I can see her babies moving very easily on the outside. She sleeps a decent amount but lately lays down and then gets up again, moves a few paces and lays down again. Shes started following me around the house the last few days even into the bathroom. Shes a sweet girl and I just want things to go smoothly and need advice on how to help during her labor or if any complications arise.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly, thank you so much for taking her in!
Sounds like she’s going to give birth fairly soon. Is she an indoor or outdoor cat?
This is a very in depth article that should cover most of your questions and concerns:
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles
If you haven’t already, set up a nesting box. Make sure she has water available at all times. This article Feeding A Pregnant Cat - Tips & Advice | Purina might also be useful.
Please keep us updated, and best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ValkyrieZyra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Firstly, thank you so much for taking her in!
Sounds like she’s going to give birth fairly soon. Is she an indoor or outdoor cat?
This is a very in depth article that should cover most of your questions and concerns:
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles
If you haven’t already, set up a nesting box. Make sure she has water available at all times. This article Feeding A Pregnant Cat - Tips & Advice | Purina might also be useful.
Please keep us updated, and best of luck!
She has water and kitten food at all times. Also she was both when she was with my friend but with me she is only indoor.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got useful links. And yeah, she is near now. They do usually "drop" shortly before the delivery, one or two days before. ie she will suddenly seems less pregnant, and the kittens will not move as visibly... Otherwise, its just to read on, prepare as well you can, and wait... And rub and massage her belly. Most high preg appreciate this.

Get home goats milk or some good KMR so you arent defenceless if you need to supplement feed the kittens. If you dont need to supplement feed kittens, the momma can get this. Or even, you yourself can drink this goats milk with your coffee...

ValkyrieZyra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think she has a few more weeks or longer?

ValkyrieZyra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been able to feel them moving for about two weeks now and been able to see them clearly moving on the outside for the past week

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to tell. I would estimate within a week, but possibly longer.

ValkyrieZyra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had her kittens yesterday. Everything went well. She did need help with the umbilical cord on the last one as she was very exhausted. The vet thought she was going to have 4 but she ended up having 8 babies. All were alive and well. My concern with this is that she has 6 nipples and 8 babies. I weighed them yesterday after birth and there weights are as follows:
#1 - 97 grams
#2 - 92 grams
#3 - 90 grams
#4 - 87 grams
#5 - 102 grams
#6 - 95 grams
#7 - 122 grams
#8 - 88 grams
Do you think they will be alright with this problem?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ve got some really small babies there, so you should start supplementing a few times a day with kitten formula to help them put on weight. Anything under 90 grams is considered premature, and you’ve got only 2 kittens over 100 grams. I’d suggest supplementing every 2 hours with 1-2mLs each, or whatever they will take. You may want to weigh every 12 hours right now until the babies get bigger.

Here’s a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

ValkyrieZyra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long should I supplement them? Until they are a certain weight?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You might be supplementing for awhile with 8. We’ll need to see how the weight gain goes. It may be that a few grow faster than others and need less supplementing. They should weigh 113 grams (4 ounces) at one week old, then 226 grams (8 ounces) at two weeks. They need to gain a minimum of 6-10 grams per day for now.

Have you supplemented before? They must be fed on their tummy, never on their backs, and go slow so they do not aspirate milk into their lungs. That will kill them.

ValkyrieZyra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not. I've never been with kittens so young before but I've done A lot of reading up on it and have watched kitten lady in the past. I will keep weighing them and supplement. Just the ones that are below 90 or all of them?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could weigh them every twelve hours and put the smaller ones on mama after the bigger ones have finished. Mama's should have 8 nipples, not 6, there are two way up under her front legs but kittens usually don't like those. There is not as much milk. My cat had 7 kittens and raised them fine. Weighing them often should tell you if they are eating. If they are losing weight or just maintaining, you must supplement or make sure they get their turn to eat. Make sure the supplement is warm, and they are fed on their tummies. One drop at a time from a dropper if they won't use a nipple.

ValkyrieZyra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could weigh them every twelve hours and put the smaller ones on mama after the bigger ones have finished. Mama's should have 8 nipples, not 6, there are two way up under her front legs but kittens usually don't like those. There is not as much milk. My cat had 7 kittens and raised them fine. Weighing them often should tell you if they are eating. If they are losing weight or just maintaining, you must supplement or make sure they get their turn to eat. Make sure the supplement is warm, and they are fed on their tummies. One drop at a time from a dropper if they won't use a nipple.
The vet i took her to last week told me she only had six. I have been weighing and they do seem to be gaining since yesterday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would supplement all of the kittens that are under 100 grams, and that is six of them from the weights you posted.

ValkyrieZyra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are all currently between 120 and 150