Tiny kitten help

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was asked by a coworker if I could help with a kitten that a family member of hers had that the mother had no interest in anymore and they were getting rid of. She knows I love animals :) She told me the kitten was 4 weeks old. I went over to her family members house late last night after work and saw a tiny kitten that was brought out to me in a shoe box by a teenage boy. The mom didn't speak english but the son told me that the kitten had to go tonight and if I didn't take it they were going to take him to the shelter where they were already told that he would be euthanized because he couldn't eat on his own. I begged them to keep the kitten with its mother but they refused and said they were moving and the kitten had to go. They said the mom wouldn't take care of it and they didn't have time. I reluctantly brought this tiny kitten home and when I got a better look at him in the light I realized he wasn't the age they told me. One of his eyes was open more than the other, he can barely walk, and he was smaller than I thought. I texted my coworker in the middle of the night to ask her family member the kittens birthday and she texted back and said March 20th. That would only make him 2 weeks old!!! I would of never taken a 2 week old kitten but I don't know what would have happened to him if I didnt. So what's done is done and now I have a 2 week old kitten to raise. In my introduction post I recently got a kitten that is now 10 weeks old. She has been vet checked and received her first set of shots. She is due back to the vet on the 21st for another round of shots and for a blood test. I'm of course keeping them separate right now but when will it be safe for them to meet? I know kittens thrive better in pairs but with such a age difference I'm not sure if it's safe. I did make a vet appointment for the baby kitten for tomorrow so that I can get my vets guidance on raising him. I am giving him kitten formula from a bottle and stimulating him to go potty but he has only went pee each time so far. I'm keeping him warm with a heating pad under his bedding. I'm open to any suggestions on what should or shouldn't be done for him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I was asked by a coworker if I could help with a kitten that a family member of hers had that the mother had no interest in anymore and they were getting rid of. She knows I love animals
She told me the kitten was 4 weeks old. I went over to her family members house late last night after work and saw a tiny kitten that was brought out to me in a shoe box by a teenage boy. The mom didn't speak english but the son told me that the kitten had to go tonight and if I didn't take it they were going to take him to the shelter where they were already told that he would be euthanized because he couldn't eat on his own. I begged them to keep the kitten with its mother but they refused and said they were moving and the kitten had to go. They said the mom wouldn't take care of it and they didn't have time. I reluctantly brought this tiny kitten home and when I got a better look at him in the light I realized he wasn't the age they told me. One of his eyes was open more than the other, he can barely walk, and he was smaller than I thought. I texted my coworker in the middle of the night to ask her family member the kittens birthday and she texted back and said March 20th. That would only make him 2 weeks old!!! I would of never taken a 2 week old kitten but I don't know what would have happened to him if I didnt. So what's done is done and now I have a 2 week old kitten to raise. In my introduction post I recently got a kitten that is now 10 weeks old. She has been vet checked and received her first set of shots. She is due back to the vet on the 21st for another round of shots and for a blood test. I'm of course keeping them separate right now but when will it be safe for them to meet? I know kittens thrive better in pairs but with such a age difference I'm not sure if it's safe. I did make a vet appointment for the baby kitten for tomorrow so that I can get my vets guidance on raising him. I am giving him kitten formula from a bottle and stimulating him to go potty but he has only went pee each time so far. I'm keeping him warm with a heating pad under his bedding. I'm open to any suggestions on what should or shouldn't be done for him.
Good you took him.  They were on the wey to abandon him. Now he has a chance.

What you write on caretaking sounds good, but lets be sure on details...

How much does he weigh?  Weighting him daily is the easiest way to know if he is OK and gaining, or not...  also, this is the way to know exactly how much he shall have...  A kitten of say 200 grammes shalll have about 55 ml kmr or goats milk a day. 300 grammes gives 80 ml.

IS he taking the bottle?  Kittens whom have a momma are often reluctant to bottle.  Also, some are too weak for active suckling...

Exactly what formula do you use?   Goats milk is otherwise an OK alternative, and raw goats milk is even excellent - I mention it because for some its easy to get.

Good you do have contact with the vet.  As he is neglected, he may have natural issues, perhaps some eye infection.  with time it will be necessary with deworming...

Also, there IS some fault on him - its why momma abandoned him, and they didnt want to take care...    But if you fight on, he should manage.

Please continue to report.

ps.   Yes, its too early for them kittens to "play" with each other.  And you dont want the little one meet the bigger till its checked out thoroughly, so you are sure its not have any infections nor worms.  So a quarantine sort of is wise.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, get his weight daily and for each ounce of weight he needs 8 mls of formula or goats milk per day to grow correctly and thrive.

A word of advice, your older kitten is going to pounce on this one constantly, he will do anything to have a playtime pal, but this baby is far too small, and there is going to be an issue until the baby is more equal, which is at least 3 months old, but more like 4 in reality.

He will always be tackled and harassed, making him the underdog, so when the time comes, be very cautious of this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. When I weighed him this morning he was 8.8oz, I just now figured out how to switch my scale to grams and he was 262g. He has gotten better at taking the bottle with every feeding. Last night his first feeding was with a tiny syringe done very slowly. His suckling is very strong he seems to be eating well but i have to monitor the mls because I did not do that today. Im giving him petlac kitten formula prepared by the directions on the can. I was not interested in putting the kittens together to play as I know that would not be safe at this time, the tiny kitten is barely walking. I was asking for somewhat of a guideline or a timeframe? What I mean is like after both kittens have had 3 sets of shots or after he is at least 8 weeks old. The only reason I mentioned putting them together was because I was thinking that he might have a companion to cuddle up to but now that Ive thought about it I realize that didnt make much sense.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. When I weighed him this morning he was 8.8oz, I just now figured out how to switch my scale to grams and he was 262g. He has gotten better at taking the bottle with every feeding. Last night his first feeding was with a tiny syringe done very slowly. His suckling is very strong he seems to be eating well but i have to monitor the mls because I did not do that today. Im giving him petlac kitten formula prepared by the directions on the can. I was not interested in putting the kittens together to play as I know that would not be safe at this time, the tiny kitten is barely walking. I was asking for somewhat of a guideline or a timeframe? What I mean is like after both kittens have had 3 sets of shots or after he is at least 8 weeks old. The only reason I mentioned putting them together was because I was thinking that he might have a companion to cuddle up to but now that Ive thought about it I realize that didnt make much sense.
So it seems OK, even the weight isnt bad for a 2 weeks old.  And him taking bottle...  so its just to give the right amount.  Petlac is OK as I know.  but as said, if you can get raw goats milk its a nice alternative to a orphan.  Not necessary if he is healthy otherwise, but good.

Powdered or bottled goats milk are OK alternatives too, and may even be cheapier - but proceed with this Petlac if  its working for you.

You are thinking and doing right!

A warming pad, and a furry toy is nice company for the little one.  Perhaps you can just make something out of fleece for the little one.  Fleece feels almost as fur...  You can carry it at your chest if you so want...

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No of course not, I was simply commenting that there's been many times I have fostered multiple litters, and once they get to be about 5 weeks and up they were allowed to go in the 'play' room and romp around together, but the older kits would always overpower the littles :)

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I currently have him on a heating pad covered with his blanket and there is another area for him to move to if he gets too warm. A furry toy is a great idea, I will be sure to do that tomorrow.

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No of course not, I was simply commenting that there's been many times I have fostered multiple litters, and once they get to be about 5 weeks and up they were allowed to go in the 'play' room and romp around together, but the older kits would always overpower the littles :)
I understand now :)

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he a he for sure or not sure?
If not sure post a pic :)
I think he is a boy but Im not sure so I will post a pic later because he is sound asleep right now and I would like to know the gender.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kitten needs 72mLs of formula each 24 hour period. The rule is 8 mLs per ounce of body weight. Round up and divide by the number of feedings. This is a minimum to grow. More is always fine. Weigh daily as the amount should increase as the kitten grows.

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet did confirm that he is indeed a boy!! He didnt give me much more info except to call with any questions and to bring him back for his shots when the time comes. He said to monitor his weight daily. He thinks he is developing properly for his age and appears to be in good health as of righy now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good! Is he drinking the proper amount of formula, as discussed in my post above?

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good! Is he drinking the proper amount of formula, as discussed in my post above?
Yes, well it hasnt been a full 24 hours since I started monitoring his intake but so far I think he is right on track to be at the proper amount.

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just weighed him and he is 290g so he is steadily gaining weight. He is walking much better now. It surprises me how much he has changed in just 2 days.

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping to get answers too. So the kitten is starting to pee on his own now but he still hasn't pooped at all. Do I still need to stimulate him after his feedings? The vet said that his belly was soft and wasn't concerned about constipation but should I still try to get him to go or just let it happen naturally it's been about 4 days but he pees alot.