Tiny Kibble

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were given a free sample of Blue Buffalo Kitten and it is pretty small. Unfortunately none of the cats liked it. Purina Pro Plan Kitten is fairly small and seems to be liked by everyone.

Do you live close to a Petsmart? I talked to a manager there once and she told me that as long as I kept the receipt, I could return an open bag of food if the cats didn't like it. They would probably let you return it if the kibble is too large as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A all4mom We just got a feline boarder at the shelter who's 14 and needs tiny kibble in addition to wet food. His owners give him Purina One Kitten Formula (1 - 12 months). The kibble is slightly bigger than the RC Baby Cat, but not by much.
Thank you; good to know! Someone told me Purina Pro Plan Kitten is also very small. Looks like kitten food is the way to go (should also "bulk him up").

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie just puked up the Diamond Naturals, so I don't recommend that one. :(

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Essence is a newer brand (made by the same company that makes Zignature) with a pretty good ingredient list and very small kibble. It's not cheap though. I've never used RC baby cat so I don't know how the sizes compare.

In the picture American Journey is on the left, Essence is on the right.

Attachments

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I should've mentioned that I'd rather NOT break the bank on it since he also eats wet food; this is just to fill his belly in between and give him a few extra calories. Not that I would feed him junk, but the ingredients in dry cat food are more alike than they are different, I've noticed... Only the price varies!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the Fromm Beef flavored one has really small bits. Natural Balance LID has some flavors that have smaller pieces too (I'm not sure of their other lines).

My one cat is also a grazer, but I have tried to get him to eat more wet food in one sitting. What I noticed is that he only likes pates and will eat about 1/4 to 1/3 of a 3 oz can if I just put it in his dish, but will eat half the can, if I mush it up even further with about a table spoon of water mixed in. I wonder if that would help to get extra calories in your kitty too. See my boy only licks his food, so if it does not lap up he ends up just pushing it into the edges of the bowl or over the edge of a plate, then he gives up. But when it's more like a goop, it licks up real easy, so he finishes it.

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I finally hit upon cutting the slightly warmed pate first into slices, and then into tiny cubes (like kibble) and distributing them across a plate. He'll pick one at a time up and eat it that way, whereas the "mush" - as you say - was just being licked at and pushed around on the plate rather than consumed, and I think he (or his tongue) would soon grow tired of that. He seems to eat more now.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iams is tiny. Almost microscopic. It has corn in it though, don't know if you're avoiding that.

Ele

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I finally hit upon cutting the slightly warmed pate first into slices, and then into tiny cubes (like kibble) and distributing them across a plate. He'll pick one at a time up and eat it that way, whereas the "mush" - as you say - was just being licked at and pushed around on the plate rather than consumed, and I think he (or his tongue) would soon grow tired of that. He seems to eat more now.
I'm currently having the same problem as you. I was wondering how everything worked out with your kitty. Is he still enjoying pate cubes? Did you ever try kitten food? Any other solutions? My 8yrs male really doesn't like wet food, didn't ever eat it before recently (year and a half), when his teeth started going bad. But he still really doesn't like it without all the treat toppers. Thursday he broke his tooth, I took him to the vet on Friday. He practically has no teeth and the vet said he would hate to put him under bc of his age and for only one tooth that will probably fall out like the rest. They gave him antibiotics, pain killers and full blood work. He tried to eat when he got home but didn't eat much (I was ecstatic bc he hadn't eaten dry for 2 days and he didn't hide to eat). Its Wednesday and he still is not eating much dry. I weighed him and he lost 1lb! I'm so worried. His blood work was normal and healthy but he has/had a UTI, meds are supposed to clear it up. Should I take him to another vet? Try kitten food? He didn't like the pate cubes, he prefers mush but doesn't eat enough. My situation is similar to yours, I'm gone almost all day and my cat is also a grazer. I need him to eat. He won't even have temptations which is like a drug for him, I can tell he wants it but at the same time he knows it hurts so he doesn't. It's so sad to see him in pain. Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your time!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm currently having the same problem as you. I was wondering how everything worked out with your kitty. Is he still enjoying pate cubes? Did you ever try kitten food? Any other solutions? My 8yrs male really doesn't like wet food, didn't ever eat it before recently (year and a half), when his teeth started going bad. But he still really doesn't like it without all the treat toppers. Thursday he broke his tooth, I took him to the vet on Friday. He practically has no teeth and the vet said he would hate to put him under bc of his age and for only one tooth that will probably fall out like the rest. They gave him antibiotics, pain killers and full blood work. He tried to eat when he got home but didn't eat much (I was ecstatic bc he hadn't eaten dry for 2 days and he didn't hide to eat). Its Wednesday and he still is not eating much dry. I weighed him and he lost 1lb! I'm so worried. His blood work was normal and healthy but he has/had a UTI, meds are supposed to clear it up. Should I take him to another vet? Try kitten food? He didn't like the pate cubes, he prefers mush but doesn't eat enough. My situation is similar to yours, I'm gone almost all day and my cat is also a grazer. I need him to eat. He won't even have temptations which is like a drug for him, I can tell he wants it but at the same time he knows it hurts so he doesn't. It's so sad to see him in pain. Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your time!
Have you tried a mousse-like consistency food? I know the Weruva foods that are labeled "hydrating puree" are almost like pudding. I think Tiki Cat makes one too. You could probably put a cold pack under the bowl or get one of the flip top timed feeders that will have a cold pack and open for later in the day.

• Purraise
Reactions: Ele

Ele

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried a mousse-like consistency food? I know the Weruva foods that are labeled "hydrating puree" are almost like pudding. I think Tiki Cat makes one too. You could probably put a cold pack under the bowl or get one of the flip top timed feeders that will have a cold pack and open for later in the day.
Thank you so much for responding, it is greatly appreciated!!! I ordered Tiki cat yesterday. The weruva was really expensive and I'm not sure he would like it. I did see somewhere in this thread Petsmart will take the food back, even if open. I will have to ask petsmart.
I've tried other mousses and he didn't like it. He's extremely picky. Yesterday and this morning I had to hold the plate up to him for him to eat, he didn't want it otherwise. Have you ever tried the timed feeders? I was thinking of getting one but not sure if it really works.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for responding, it is greatly appreciated!!! I ordered Tiki cat yesterday. The weruva was really expensive and I'm not sure he would like it. I did see somewhere in this thread Petsmart will take the food back, even if open. I will have to ask petsmart.
I've tried other mousses and he didn't like it. He's extremely picky. Yesterday and this morning I had to hold the plate up to him for him to eat, he didn't want it otherwise. Have you ever tried the timed feeders? I was thinking of getting one but not sure if it really works.
I used a different type of timed feeder that rotates inside. I've also used a drop feeder for wet. Both worked fine. Now with a second kitty I just got the flip open type. I have to set it up this weekend.

• Purraise
Reactions: Ele