Tiny bald spot appeared above eye within hours… 8 mo female cat

LaynaLew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats. Both sisters, 8 mo, and spayed.
I recently transitioned them from a canned wet diet to a frozen/thawed to serve raw diet, complete with powdered vitamin supplements and salmon oil. They are using a walnut shell clumping litter and I clean it daily.
That’s the backstory.
Today I came home after having not been around them for a number of hours and was startled to discover a small bald patch above the eye of one of them. ( cat in question, her name is Bingo ) I picked her up immediately and gave it a closer look. No apparent bump, blood, rash, pimple, bite, or crusties. It has pretty defined edges almost a perfect circle or oval. When I touched it a microscopic tuft of hair came off on my finger attached to maybe a flake of skin. ( again this was very, very little, had to squint to see it. Her appetite has been eager, and energy is extremely normal. The only other thing to report on her might be a little loss in weight. She lost a couple ounces over the course of two weeks or so but has begun to gain it back so that could have just been some fluctuations from diet changes.
I’m distraught. I can’t think what could have caused this and so incredibly fast… literally hours. Could this be the result of a friendly-gone-too-aggressive cat fight with her sis? I’m ready to hit my panic button and rush to the vet tomorrow which will inevitably result in expensive bloodwork and perhaps a biopsy? I have no idea.. help??

I forgot to mention both are indoor cats only.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't look swollen or red and I cant see a head on it so it could well be that she bumped the area against something and rubbed off the fur. Will she let you touch it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LaynaLew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. She’ll let me touch it and doesn’t seem to be in any pain or discomfort when I do. I guess I’m confused because of how perfect the edges are… that’s throwing me off from thinking it could just have rubbed off or maybe been bitten off by her sis.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd just keep an eye on it for now, to see if it goes away, gets bigger, or spreads to other areas, etc. Taking pics of any negative changes is also a good idea.

If it goes away on its own, it may remain a mystery!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just a bald spot likely caused by an allergy to something. One of my cats gets bald spots as a reaction to the most random things like seafood flavored pet toothpaste and goat milk. What brand of raw food are you feeding?There might be something in the food that is causing the bald spot. I figured out that it was goat milk in a brand of frozen raw food that was causing my cat's bald spots. Once I switched him to a different brand of raw food, the bald spots went away.

LaynaLew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's just a bald spot likely caused by an allergy to something. One of my cats gets bald spots as a reaction to the most random things like seafood flavored pet toothpaste and goat milk. What brand of raw food are you feeding?There might be something in the food that is causing the bald spot. I figured out that it was goat milk in a brand of frozen raw food that was causing my cat's bald spots. Once I switched him to a different brand of raw food, the bald spots went away.
It’s funny you say that about goats milk… she has actually been drinking some goats milk just to help her gain a bit more weight. I also was giving her Keifer cows milk made for pets. I’m just stunned by how quickly this appeared.. and in such a precise shape and nowhere else on her body.

LaynaLew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am feeding raw frozen rabbit and turkey I get from a supplier in PA USA. I mix it with this company’s powder vitamin and mineral supplement and add a squirt of salmon oil when serving. They love it. Out of curiosity did these bald spots on your cat grow back? If so how long did that take?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rule out simple causes before diving down rabbit holes.

Have you checked for anything around the house that the cat could have gotten into or bumped against?

For instance, our cat, Casper, likes to hide under our bed. That's his hideout. He occasionally bumps himself against the metal rails underneath the bed and gives himself an "ouchie."

He also likes to sit next to the heating vents. So much so, he knows the sound of the furnace clicking on and goes over to the vent whenever he hears it. He'll sit there as long as the furnace blows hot air on him! He has gotten an ouchie from bumping himself against the hot vents.

Have you gone around the house to check for places where your cat could have gotten an ouchie or, at least, given some thought to the question?

My first guess as to the cause of your cat's bald patch would be from heat...like she bumped into something hot and it singed off a patch of hair. That place on her head seems like a likely spot where a cat would bump its head when it crawls under, around or inside things.

LaynaLew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rule out simple causes before diving down rabbit holes.

Have you checked for anything around the house that the cat could have gotten into or bumped against?

For instance, our cat, Casper, likes to hide under our bed. That's his hideout. He occasionally bumps himself against the metal rails underneath the bed and gives himself an "ouchie."

He also likes to sit next to the heating vents. So much so, he knows the sound of the furnace clicking on and goes over to the vent whenever he hears it. He'll sit there as long as the furnace blows hot air on him! He has gotten an ouchie from bumping himself against the hot vents.

Have you gone around the house to check for places where your cat could have gotten an ouchie or, at least, given some thought to the question?

My first guess as to the cause of your cat's bald patch would be from heat...like she bumped into something hot and it singed off a patch of hair. That place on her head seems like a likely spot where a cat would bump its head when it crawls under, around or inside things.
I hear you about avoiding rabbit holes for the moment. It’s very easy to head down those in a panic. I live in place with very few dangers or obstacles. A fairly tidy apartment with no forced air. I do have radiators but they don’t get that hot and especially not lately as the weather has been warmer. I will give a look around but I did a very thorough scope of the apartment we live in before I brought them home. I just can’t think what could possibly have done that…

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper is a very well-behaved cat and he rarely gets into trouble but, as they say, "Cats will be cats!"

Because of this, it sets off alarm bells when he does get into something he shouldn't have. The first things that come to mind are worries about him being sick or hurt. After some investigation, nine times out of ten, we decide that he just bumped himself or something stupid like that.

Casper's Girl-Human always worries when something happens to him. Out of all of the times when something does happen, all but a few of them have been serious enough for a trip to the vet.

It's good that we all want to take care of our cats and try to make sure they are healthy, happy and don't get hurt but it's also important to do objective detective work before assuming the worst.

Here's to hoping that Bingo just got a little "ouchie" from doing something stupid. ;)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am feeding raw frozen rabbit and turkey I get from a supplier in PA USA. I mix it with this company’s powder vitamin and mineral supplement and add a squirt of salmon oil when serving. They love it. Out of curiosity did these bald spots on your cat grow back? If so how long did that take?

Yes, the bald spots regrew hair. It took maybe a week. Hair grows at it's own pace so have patience. It will grow back :)

Sometimes a pre-mix contains something that a cat is sensitive to :dunno: You can try a different pre-mix or mix up vitamins and minerals yourself. The Raw and Homed Cooked forum here on TCS has more info on that.

LaynaLew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats. Both sisters, 8 mo, and spayed.
I recently transitioned them from a canned wet diet to a frozen/thawed to serve raw diet, complete with powdered vitamin supplements and salmon oil. They are using a walnut shell clumping litter and I clean it daily.
That’s the backstory.
Today I came home after having not been around them for a number of hours and was startled to discover a small bald patch above the eye of one of them. ( cat in question, her name is Bingo ) I picked her up immediately and gave it a closer look. No apparent bump, blood, rash, pimple, bite, or crusties. It has pretty defined edges almost a perfect circle or oval. When I touched it a microscopic tuft of hair came off on my finger attached to maybe a flake of skin. ( again this was very, very little, had to squint to see it. Her appetite has been eager, and energy is extremely normal. The only other thing to report on her might be a little loss in weight. She lost a couple ounces over the course of two weeks or so but has begun to gain it back so that could have just been some fluctuations from diet changes.
I’m distraught. I can’t think what could have caused this and so incredibly fast… literally hours. Could this be the result of a friendly-gone-too-aggressive cat fight with her sis? I’m ready to hit my panic button and rush to the vet tomorrow which will inevitably result in expensive bloodwork and perhaps a biopsy? I have no idea.. help??

I forgot to mention both are indoor cats only.
AD03607E-1493-4B21-9DD3-C6827E3D788E.jpeg

LaynaLew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd just keep an eye on it for now, to see if it goes away, gets bigger, or spreads to other areas, etc. Taking pics of any negative changes is also a good idea.

If it goes away on its own, it may remain a mystery!
I posted an updated photo… there seems to be these tiny whitish little bumps or bubbles looking a bit like pimples but then there’s a yellowish crust forming around the edges… am I dealing with ringworm at this point?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, fortunately, have no experience with ringworm. It is very contagious - and will typically spread pretty easily to other spots. Have you checked out your other cat for any spots? Although, there are some cats not affected by it - I think that is fairly rare. You might also take some additional pics and send them to your vet, with your description above, and see if they can readily identify whether or not it is ringworm.