Tinky has 2 pea sized mats - help!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's got one teeny mat under his chin so he can't possibly get to it, and I am also having a hard time getting to it (I guess it's actually on his neck, so when I try to get a comb there, I hardly ever can even snag it because it's so hidden back there under the fur
, AND he's got another on his tummy that HE could get, but for some reason, he doesn't.  Both of these mats are about the size of  pea.  The one on his neck is moving away from his skin, probably because every once in awhile I can work on it with my fingers, but the one on his tummy is so small I can't even get  a hold of to to anything with it...not to  mention he normally won't hold still long enough for me to.

I was wondering if there is anything I might put on them (since they're so small) to try to get rid of them.  You know, something like conditioner, detangler, something of that nature?  I know the one on his neck he couldn't lick, so that should be a problem, but the one on his tummy he could.  I read somewhere about someone using vegie oil on a mat, but don't know about that.  Anyone ever try it?  Got any other ideas.  The one on his tummy is too close to his skin to get a comb between it and his skin to try to cut it away, or even cut into it

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried using a furminator on it? I find because it acts almost like a razor it is really good at getting small mats. I also agree it might have to be shaved if it is really close to the skin. 

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I work small mats out with my fingers. I try to pull them apart, gently, without pulling the fur AWAY from the skin. I've gotten several of Sophie's mats out this way; she seems to get them a lot lately! But I've also had to cut several out. She had a few huge ones by her butt that she got while I was very sick and bed-ridden. I have no problems snip-snipping, haha.