Timothy's Weight Loss Thread

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sorry to hear about Esme. It's never easy losing a dear pet. :alright:

Sounds like Timothy's weight loss is on a good track. 5.5 pounds is a lot of excess weight! Keep up the good work there.

Timothy and Lear are very lucky cats to have you in their lives. :catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know I never check in!

Lear, Timothy's best friend, died suddenly last October. He was heartbroken. It was really difficult. We adopted another cat named Cordelia and they get along great, but it was so tough to lose Lear.

But the good news - sometime last winter Timothy made it 15.4lbs, or an 8lb weight loss in a year and a half! We weighed him last week and he was 15.5lbs, so his weight has stabilized.

The vet is very happy with how he looks and his weight, he's also just a BIG cat, so for now, we're not dieting him, he's just doing his thing. We still have to be careful though as he'll hoover up everything that gets into his path given the chance. I think we'll always have to watch him.

From barely making it up onto the seat cushion of the couch (he needed help) to being able to jump up onto the back of the couch from the floor and chase Cordelia around the apartment, Timothy has come a long way!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a tremendous success story, Lear's weight loss! You've done really well with him, and I expect he is rather happier now that he can jump and play again. :jive:

Condolences on the loss of Lear. :alright:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great that Timothy is back to being a slim and trim healthy cat. :bunnydance:

Sorry to hear about Lear though. :alright: RIP sweet kitty. :angel:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, wonderful news about Timothy :yess:. I also have a cat who will eat anything not moving quickly, so we have to watch him constantly. I feel kind of bad for him because when I dole out treats I always have to start and end with the other cat and make sure I give Darko the tiniest little treats I can find so he doesn't pack on any pounds, and he always acts like he's starving, but he's the kind of cat that if he just looks at food he will gain weight :sigh: (it took a year just to get him to lose FOUR pounds so you did a marvelous job!)

I'm also so sorry to hear about Lear :alright::rbheart:

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. Lear was a big loss. We named Cordelia (who looks like a mini female Lear) after King Lear's daughter.

She's helped Timothy but it was scary too because he stopped eating for days and we actually had to put Timothy on appetite stimulants!!!!! (So you know he was upset)

Timothy is way happier now. He really is the sweetest cat, always cuddling and grooming us (though if he'd lick my eyelids a little less, I'd be okay, but I don't REALLY mind).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
(though if he'd lick my eyelids a little less, I'd be okay, but I don't REALLY mind).
I thought furry head bumps in the eye were bad. I think you'd got that beat though. :lol:

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even for a cat his tongue is raspy!!!!!

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just like 'I don't want to get some cat butt version of pink eye'! LOL

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just updating to say - Timothy had his annual today - and his body condition score is a THREE!!!!! He's lost 9.8lbs since we adopted him three years ago.

He's got elbow arthritis, which we are treating with cartrophen and supplements, but otherwise he is the picture of health. So pleased.

(Now Cordelia is getting a bit chonky - got to stop free feeding her)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great work with Timothy and his weight loss. I'm must curious as to how you can free feed Cordelia without him getting into her food? But since you're now an expert at helping cats lose weight, you know how to help her too.

Elbow arthritis only? Guess that's better than having it in every joint, but is certainly specific. I'm guessing since it's elbow, it's just in his front legs? Hoping the meds and supplements work well.

Thanks for the update.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

Cordelia is fed on the counter in the kitchen, which Timothy can't/doesn't know he can jump up on. So she can eat unmolested. Our vet wondered if she was chowing down on his food and we were like 'Hahaha Timothy leave food...that's funny!'

His front legs were the only ones bothering him, so that's what was x-rayed. They could feel the thickening. Even if he does have knee arthritis, the treatment'd be the same. He's WAY more mobile though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great news! Good job! :cheerleader: Any pics of slender Timothy you can share :camera:

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will have to figure it out! But I'll share some

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just attached them without reading the instructions...so hopefully they're okay. I think there is some pics of Timothy his first few days home on this thread - HUGE difference!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pictures posted perfectly. Timothy looks great !!! Just looked at a pic at the beginning of the thread. What a difference! I'm sure he feels so much better being slim and trim. :)

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was looking at that picture too. The difference is shocking to see it again.

The day I brought him home he was gross - all greasy fur - my husband got home from work and was like 'THIS cat????' but Timothy loved him from the start. It took him awhile to win over the other cats.