Timothy's Weight Loss Thread

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has been loosing weight on kibble. I feed a 50/50 kibble and wet. So I know it can be done.
And yea maybe try to tire him out a bit, though sometimes that just makes all my animals more wound up right before bed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He gets a HUGE petting/cuddle session in bed before we go to sleep. He's not much of a player - he plays, he's just really lazy about it (not a surprise given his size). Maybe I'll try taking him for a walk in the hallway before bed.

I will check out those harnesses!

It's good to know cats can lose large amounts of weight on kibble. Esme's weight went up to ~11.5lbs I think and she lost her weight on kibble (1-1.5lbs) but that's not a huge amount of weight to lose. Nothing what like Timothy has before him!

Tomorrow is two weeks home! <3 Timothy!

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We actually had to do weight loss with Stewart too, but he only had 4 lbs to lose so it took only 1 1/2 years. His goal was 11.8 lbs but his daddy likes to keep him between 12-12 1/2. It REALLY helped his asthma vs 16.x lbs.

You'll get there. You can supplement his calories with freeze dried treats if he'll eat them.
The 5.5 oz cans are roughly 200 calories.
Oh and I wonder if Timothy's wheezing is asthma due to his weight? He's definitely a loud breather. Vet said due to his weight.

I bought some freeze dried wee little shrimps and he was not impressed. Likes his glucosamine treats though, and Esme's lysine treats which she won't eat (she has herpes).

I am HOPING Timothy can be down to weight (say 14lbs, we'll reassess as we get closer though) in a year and a half. We'll see.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weigh in with the luggage scale tonight (takes two people; we're weighing Timothy in a large sided cloth bag and he's not a fan). First weigh in. 10.16kg. Bit more conservative weight loss. Like that we have it to two decimal places so we can track weight that much more closely. That was right after eating though. Will try to remember to weigh in tomorrow at the same time!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a hard-sided cat carrier? That might be easier (and preferable to Timothy) than the cloth bag.

He's doing well! Slow and steady. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS jarn jarn and Timothy. :wave3:

Timothy is a very handsome boy and is lucky he's been adopted by you folks. I'm looking forward to following this thread and watching his weight loss progress.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks rubysmama rubysmama ! orange&white orange&white , we moved to weighing him in the hardsided carrier - I wouldn't say he likes it, but SO MUCH BETTER. LOL

Sorry for the disappearance, some computer stuff!

Toby's been home for just under 4 weeks, and at tonight's weigh in he's down to 9.7kg (from 10.61kg), or 2lbs lost!

A bit fast, but he has a good appetite (believe you me, LOL - he doesn't always finish everything, but yeah. He's definitely past his 'I am being picky' stage. But he's full of energy, seems very healthy - heck, yesterday he even jumped up on the couch from a foot and a half out - when he came home, he struggled to jump up on the couch on his own! So happy for him!

We are mid-way through our staycation (we were supposed to be camping for 10 days up north with the dogs, but figured that even having our regular cat sitter housesit would be too much change too soon for Timothy, so here we are) and enjoying getting to spend more time with him and see how he interacts with the rest of the animals. He and Lear still have a way to go - they're getting there, but both can be a bit pissy with the other - though he likes to groom Lear's tail and butt huff (for lack of a more precise term, there is a term for it, but I can't recall what it is). He and Esme are doing quite well and I feel like he's really settling in well with the dogs. He and Esme like to go out into the hall together!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he is eating well, I'd say the 2 pound weight loss is a great start for the first 4 weeks. Yes, a little too fast to drop weight going forward, but with him starting out so heavy the first few pounds are likely the easiest.

Nice work! :cutecat:

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We adopted a 2 year old orange man named Oliver who could be prone to obesity. We do a varity of things including Stella's Duck duck Goose, Wellness canned, EVO 95%, ect. Portion control is really all it is. I found Vital Essentials freeze dried that I can leave out. I don't think Oliver loves it which is of itself, portion control. Vital Essentials Turkey Mini Nibs Entree Freeze-Dried Cat Food, 12-oz bag

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cindycrna cindycrna thanks! Right now Timothy does not have constant access to food - one of our dogs, Neb, would pilfer it as his own, and Timothy is too fat to get under the baby gate to the kitchen where the cats eat unmolested (obviously he eats in there, but can't get in there on his own).

So for right now he doesn't have a lot of options. We're trying different foods, seem to have mostly settled on Go! - he doesn't like Stella's or THK that much, but I will keep trying him on that.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since we got an update on Timothy's diet. How are you, and how's Timothy doing?

:hellocomputer:

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since we got an update on Timothy's diet. How are you, and how's Timothy doing?

:hellocomputer:
Thanks for following up :) Haven't done a great job weighing Timothy regularly if I'm honest. But he's now done to 9.28kg or 20.46lbs (so juuuuuust under 3lbs lost in 7 weeks, which I'm pretty happy with).

Bit of a dog health emergency. We had closed, unopened tins of cat food in the middle of the dining room table. Neb is short. He got them off. Didn't occur to us they would smell, because, THEY WEREN'T OPEN. He ate them. I mean, the CANS. We've tried to help them pass naturally, but today the stuff left in his stomach was scoped. His intestines and colon are now empty too. Phew.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! He must be a big dog to be able to swallow the cans. That must have been scary. Glad he made it through!

You're not worried about Timothy losing weight a little too fast? I am happy to hear that he is successfully losing. My cat only needed to lose 3 pounds, and the first 1.5 pounds has taken a whole year. :confused:

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! He must be a big dog to be able to swallow the cans. That must have been scary. Glad he made it through!

You're not worried about Timothy losing weight a little too fast? I am happy to hear that he is successfully losing. My cat only needed to lose 3 pounds, and the first 1.5 pounds has taken a whole year. :confused:
He's not big! He's 38lbs! He's a Beagle mix! He just REALLY chewed them.

I was a bit worried about it, but over the last 10 days (when we last weighed him) his weight loss has really slowed down which I'm happy to see. And he's full of energy and bright - he loves to explore in the hall, is super interactive. Basically just being a really sweet boy. But we'll continue to monitor.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I said it before, but it's really great you found each other. :catrub: Timothy is one lucky boy!

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's such a Sweetie. He's a cuddle-under-the-blanket monster, which is super sweet. Cuddles more with my husband than me (sniff), but I think that's because I'm fairly dead to the world when I sleep, whereas Toby wakes up and pets him. But he's so great.

xisare

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your story...

I'm about to embark on my own kitty weight loss program as our ginger cat Akodo is 18lb and borderline diabetic the vet said.

Good luck with Timothy!

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your story...

I'm about to embark on my own kitty weight loss program as our ginger cat Akodo is 18lb and borderline diabetic the vet said.

Good luck with Timothy!
Good luck with Akodo!

We're way behind with weighing Timothy, but he's starting to have the hint of a waist.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just weighed Timothy, first time in a month. Down to 9.02kg or 19.89lbs which is 3.51lbs lost! His rate of weight loss is definitely slowing, but that's not a bad thing, and it's continuing to come off. He's even got the first signs of a waist!

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have not at all been good about weighing Timothy.

Our cat Esme passed away from oral squamous cell carcinoma in November, which was absolutely heartbreaking.

Timothy and Lear have become best friends. It's really nice to see. Timothy weighed 18.4lbs at the vet last time we took him in in December (for his chin acne, which is better now). Just weighed him now - 17.86lbs! (8.1kg) That's a 5.54lb loss from his first day home in July!

We were feeding him and Lear in the same room, but he'd finish Lear's food when Lear wandered off. Now Lear wants to eat with Timothy so snacks on Timothy's food as Timothy eats, sheesh, Timothy doesn't mind sharing. He doesn't seem to be losing weight too quickly though, so I think Timothy is still getting sufficient calories.

Yay!