Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys
I'm getting very concerned about Timmy sleeping most of the time and staying im his cubby-he doesn't cry anymore,comes out at night to have a look for a while when I open the sliding glass door but then right back to cubby.

It's been 11 days,he's given up on looking for a way out,naturally he's eating less with hardly any movement- he's uninterested in everything and from a happy fellow he's a little sad sack now.It heart-wreching and I'm beside myself

Tonight I put his favorite treats in front of him and he turned his head so I called his best friend"Sami" in(who was hissing at him when he first came in & now pays no such attention)

As soon as Sami came in the enclosure Timmy came out and sat on a lower level perch,Sami went on a first level perch and they sniffed each other nose to nose.Timmy started eating his treats as soon as I offered Sami some on the ground.... I wanted to end on a positive note so after the treats I had Sami exit with me ,Timmy watched a few minutes and then back to cubby

I think I'll bring Sami in with me because Timmy used to eat every meal with Sami there and they always had their treats together-Sami was always my "go to" to lure Timmy.... I don't care if Timmy is bonded with Sami or any of my babies and not me-its okay,I'm glad he's safe but he deserves to be content as well

I've decided that the moment the 2nd safety door is completed at the front outside exit door&"the patio is cat escspe proof I'd like to open the enclosure door and let him work it out.. if he has accidents I'll just clean it and get more open boxes....If he'll be a hider then so be it but he deserves alot of leeway after surviving all alone all those years..

Please,feedback- am I looking to move too fast,suggestions are greatly appreciated Of course I'd hate cleaning up marking or anything outside a litter box but do you think he'd go to the enclosure to eliminate? Ive got 2 hooded boxes,a furniture type enclosed box,2 open boxes & a planter hooded box on the patio beside the open one in his enclosure,that's 7 litter boxes throughout the place....

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi guys
I'm getting very concerned about Timmy sleeping most of the time and staying im his cubby-he doesn't cry anymore,comes out at night to have a look for a while when I open the sliding glass door but then right back to cubby.
Timmy could have sort of readjusted his schedule (life) since he's inside. I guess he knows that now this is the place for him and it is different from outside where he has more places to roam and probably resign to it and therefore no more crying.

Do you see a third eye lid in his eyes or his move seems lethargic? Is he eating well?

It's a good idea to bring Sami in since they knew each other. It's good that Timmy came and they sniff each other. Sami could be an encouragement to Timmy and it'll be food of they bonded.

You can take the chance and see if he's interested to move around. As for the litterbox, most likely he'll use the one he's been using unless you bring some litter form the current one and drop them in another box and also I'm not sure if hooded litterbox is scary for him.

Just observe him for a day or two about his movements to make sure he's not ill and Las no need to go too fast on him to come out of the enclosure. Just get him to meet with Sami more often and probably Sami will lead the way.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Timmy could have sort of readjusted his schedule (life) since he's inside. I guess he knows that now this is the place for him and it is different from outside where he has more places to roam and probably resign to it and therefore no more crying.

Do you see a third eye lid in his eyes or his move seems lethargic? Is he eating well?

It's a good idea to bring Sami in since they knew each other. It's good that Timmy came and they sniff each other. Sami could be an encouragement to Timmy and it'll be food of they bonded.

You can take the chance and see if he's interested to move around. As for the litterbox, most likely he'll use the one he's been using unless you bring some litter form the current one and drop them in another box and also I'm not sure if hooded litterbox is scary for him.

Just observe him for a day or two about his movements to make sure he's not ill and Las no need to go too fast on him to come out of the enclosure. Just get him to meet with Sami more often and probably Sami will lead the way.
Hi TT,thanks for the feedback
No,not lathargic,bored nothing interests him-he's only eating a little bit,half of what he ate when he was burning up calories outside,he is drinking his normal little bit ,takes some licks of Delectable stew or bisque.....after midnight I open the doors again and he comes out & looks outside for a short while-that's it,back to cubby
Yes,I'll bring Sami in again and hopefully he'll be interested,Max would love to go in,he's always ready to make friends so I give him his food outside of the enclosure,I'm hoping Timmy might show some interest
I was working on the patio all day,Timmy could see me,patio door open bit he just slept....opens his eyes every now n again.....
He does look at the open top half of the door behind me when he came out to see what Sam was doing-Sami wants to go in Timmy's litter box but I didn't think that would be such a good idea
His urine & feces is good,he just seems depressed..... I actually put the regular TV on just now and sat where I could see him to see if he might react( positively or negatively- nothing
Well,I'll just keep working on the house and then when it's ready Timmy can probably do as he wants,he does know my cats and the only one he was ever interested in was Sami,Bella hissed ahd he'd leave her alone,Max wants to play do he'd smack him and Graycie is shy,prefers to stay to herself & watch.... so it might not be so bad there except now Timmy is in their territory,the roles are reversed from when they were in his on a leash- we'll see,won't we?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom
I finished caging half the patio screens,next the other side-pretty cool,huh?
Don't know how to make photo smaller

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So I was in the kitchen making myself something and I heard "litter"-it's 11:30 AM & Mr Timmy is busy in the litter box( first time in daytime and with all 4 lounging around the living room....I thought 'Well,when ya gotta go-and he'll go right back to the cubby"...sigh
Pleasant surprise,Timmy looked around from the floor,went up on the open perch at the uncovered section of his enclosure and started grooming then I got everyone running after the laser and he actually watched,interested!
And now I'm so thankful that he's sprawled out ,leg hanging down off the open perch .... not hiding!It's progress,a sign of progress!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Don't know how to make photo smaller
Make what photo smaller?

So I was in the kitchen making myself something and I heard "litter"-it's 11:30 AM & Mr Timmy is busy in the litter box( first time in daytime and with all 4 lounging around the living room....I thought 'Well,when ya gotta go-and he'll go right back to the cubby"...sigh
Pleasant surprise,Timmy looked around from the floor,went up on the open perch at the uncovered section of his enclosure and started grooming then I got everyone running after the laser and he actually watched,interested!
And now I'm so thankful that he's sprawled out ,leg hanging down off the open perch .... not hiding!It's progress,a sign of progress!
d780d7e34800d94df1d6bfc41d331465.jpg

I can see that Timmy's getting used to the routine and becoming more settled. Keep not up! You are doing a great job!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Make what photo smaller?

View attachment 452220

I can see that Timmy's getting used to the routine and becoming more settled. Keep not up! You are doing a great job!
Hi TT
I was trying to attach a photo of the patio to show you what I came up with,I'm sure there are others that don't trust mere screens and wanted to start a Topic ( sharing ideas) but some of my photos won't post,it says " too large".... how in the heck do ya shrink em to fit,I'm not good at this stuff at all,sure would appreciate a tip,lol

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi TT
I was trying to attach a photo of the patio to show you what I came up with,I'm sure there are others that don't trust mere screens and wanted to start a Topic ( sharing ideas) but some of my photos won't post,it says " too large".... how in the heck do ya shrink em to fit,I'm not good at this stuff at all,sure would appreciate a tip,lol
Oh, can you move further away and take another shot and then crop it using your phone using the edit function in your phone where you store the photo.

I don't know if you are downloading it direct from your phone or computer. For computers, you can google for free software to resize photos but if you are using your phone, I'm sure there's a way to do it.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 452239 He looks like he's (quite) ready to explore

Yes, can see the cage and plants
Yes,everytime my hopes go up that he is ready to explore he goes right back to that cubby- this morning I left his door open hoping he'd notice and take a peek at where I go in and out-since that little 4 ft area is caged in also.....nope,came out for a few bites to eat and back to cubby......I don't know,very upsetting to me ,I think I preferred him howling and complaining than giving up
I left the door open,maybe when he goes to litter box he'll take a look?
I suppose 16days since he is in here is not that long,even some domestics hide for longer when in a new place,and some even longer than that-right?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I suppose 16days since he is in here is not that long,even some domestics hide for longer when in a new place,and some even longer than that-right?
Yep, please give him time. As long as he looks normal other than going back to his cubby, leave him as he is and spend more time with him.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, please give him time. As long as he looks normal other than going back to his cubby, leave him as he is and spend more time with him.
Of course TT,I'll give him all the time he needs,I'll not give up on this boy-Im just soooo worried about him eating so little and being so depressed.....can't help myself from worrying &"I pray to let go of worry....
Thank you for listening & encouraging,it's sometimes very hard to stay encouraged not really being able to do a thing for him....I try to stay on the patio as much as possible so he sees & hears me( but it's getting so hot out there ,it's been in the 90s lately ..... I'm leaving his door open and feeding my cats outside his cage,seems to encourage him to eat a little

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Of course TT,I'll give him all the time he needs,I'll not give up on this boy-Im just soooo worried about him eating so little and being so depressed.....can't help myself from worrying &"I pray to let go of worry....
Thank you for listening & encouraging,it's sometimes very hard to stay encouraged not really being able to do a thing for him....I try to stay on the patio as much as possible so he sees & hears me( but it's getting so hot out there ,it's been in the 90s lately ..... I'm leaving his door open and feeding my cats outside his cage,seems to encourage him to eat a little
Just don't give up as yet but if all else fails, I'm not saying that you failed, you are doing a wonderful job getting him in, it is just him. He feels comfortable in his cubby, let him be. If he is not doing any progress, he'll not even come out at all but he's listening to music and looking at you and eating.

Yes, it;'s a good idea feeding your other cats outside the enclosure as this will encourage him to eat and come out.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't give up as yet but if all else fails, I'm not saying that you failed, you are doing a wonderful job getting him in, it is just him. He feels comfortable in his cubby, let him be. If he is not doing any progress, he'll not even come out at all but he's pay listening to music and looking at you and eating.

Yes, it;'s a good idea feeding your other cats outside the enclosure as this will encourage him to eat and come out.
Okay,I'm hanging in there -he does look at me when I go in or when he comes out- he stretches his little head to see the great beyond ( when I'm in the kitchen he can see me through a passthrough opening)- .... I'll just continue to feed everyone around the enclosure and stick to schedule.. and pray

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Okay,I'm hanging in there -he does look at me when I go in or when he comes out- he stretches his little head to see the great beyond ( when I'm in the kitchen he can see me through a passthrough opening)- .... I'll just continue to feed everyone around the enclosure and stick to schedule.. and pray
Maybe it'll take a little longer for him to feel that he's home.